Posts: 96 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ India
Though I'm posting for the first time, I'm a constant visitor of this forum.
I have been using the N900 since the past four months and whenever I feel that I'm getting bored of maemo and android looks greener, its the community and the great dedicated developers who keep it intresting with the sudden release of a new app or a new feature update for an existing. Hence, I'm really enjoying in the maemo world. Thanks to you guys!

Recently a new rule came up in my college that camera phones are no more allowed in the campus. N I cant live without my n900 even for a moment. Moreover, as I use my N900 a my primary phone, its difficult for me to keep swapping my SIM between ultra low-end phone & n900 everyday..

So, if possible could someone make a script to disable both cameras on the device??
Note: The camera shouldnt re enable itself upon device reboot. It should be more like a permanent solution until I myself enable the camera though the command line or something of that sort.

Any help?? thanks in advance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warhawk007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
try renaming
Code:
/usr/bin/camera-ui
as root. it worked at least for me.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
That didnt work for me, I renamed the camera-ui file to camera-ux using filebox in root mode, but the camera app, still opens on opening the lens cover.
Could some script be made so that a message would be displayed on opening the lens cover, that the cameras on the device have been disabled. In that way, I can convince them to let me take my phone to college.

don't know about those fileboxes etc, I use purely command line and renamed the file as camera-ui.backup

so if someone can confirm that renaming the file works, I could see if I have time to write a simple script to do it.
Google Custom Search

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ vancouver washington usa
I think this thread covers something similar to what you are looking for. Apply it to the camera. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...+accelerometer

The Following User Says Thank You to simmy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
question is, will they beleive theyre disabled once youve done it...............

i renamed the file as told....but now my phone is going through a reboot loop...after te nokia hands...I dont have access to a computer at the moment...pls help!

Originally Posted by warhawk007 View Post
i renamed the file as told....but now my phone is going through a reboot loop...after te nokia hands...I dont have access to a computer at the moment...pls help!
that seems to be mission impossible. I bet you need flasher in order to get your device back up.
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
that seems to be mission impossible. I bet you need flasher in order to get your device back up.
Will I only have to reflash the firmware? Do i have to flash the emmc too? Hav lots of my data in the emmc.

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
only .firmware.

Btw, don'just rename the file camera-ui, because there is
a script in /etc/X11/Xsession.post which autostart
the camera-ui on boot. This causes the reboot loop.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post: