Notices

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by lolloo View Post
I own three gaming servers, and I would like to monitor them 24 hours,
see who is in my servers and whats their nicknames, how many players are in my servers, did my server stop responding? like that.
also I would like to monitor my game play status, my rank, k/d ratio
in BfBC2 or left4dead2 or shattered Horizon.
You seem to be the only user with this need, and you bring it up multiple times in *every* thread about apps.

I would like to see it as a widget on my phone.
I love n900 because it has admin tools for my servers. but no actual apps that help you.
these kind of app we need.
Be happy you didn't have to pay for these, or use vulnerabilities in the phone OS software to be able to get privileges to install software not approved by the controller of your device.

I have Steam gaming account, also Xfire account, but no such app for n900 yet! although android already has them!
I have no online gaming account ...

Have you looked at existing open-source clients/software for any of these online gaming communities? Can you suggest one to port? Have you tried asking positively (and describing in more detail how the existing Android apps work, or how you envisage an app working)?

If not, please just wait until something shows up on Ovi store, as it seems a community isn't for you ...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ vancouver washington usa
There seems to be a lot of anti-app sentiment going on in this forum, maybe thats why developers aren't jumping on the bandwagon. The N900 is the only phone with Maemo5 but it is still one of the better selling phones. There should be more commercialization of the apps available, blame Nokia I guess.

The Following User Says Thank You to simmy For This Useful Post:
I don't see anymore applications needed apart from the social gaming applications like the windows phone has for xbox live, it already has everything else. Sure it's not in the same league as the application store but games wise thanks to emulators its set really, and with easy debian a lot more applications can be run...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by simmy View Post
There seems to be a lot of anti-app sentiment going on in this forum, maybe thats why developers aren't jumping on the bandwagon. The N900 is the only phone with Maemo5 but it is still one of the better selling phones. There should be more commercialization of the apps available, blame Nokia I guess.
What sort of anti-app sentiment? i can't say I feel it, unless you're using app in an iPhoney sense of "trivial re-presentation of data from a website" to distinguish them from applications which actually do something like control the device in some new way or process data in some way...

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
What sort of anti-app sentiment? i can't say I feel it, unless you're using app in an iPhoney sense of "trivial re-presentation of data from a website" to distinguish them from applications which actually do something like control the device in some new way or process data in some way...
No I'm not talking about useless iphone apps, I'm referring to this thread and many other request threads where people are asking for an app and other people are trying to convince them it's not needed (ex. Frostwire). If developers see the large response against some requests they would be less likely to make an app for it. I see perfectly good ideas argued to death sometimes, it makes me disappointed in the community when it is held back. Maybe I'm dragging up the past but it's silly to argue against an app that someone else wants but it still shows up in nearly all request threads saying the app can't be made or shouldn't be. If there is a few people that want an app there is a good chance that the silent majority will want it, no need to talk the potential developer out of building it.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
No I'm not talking about useless iphone apps, I'm referring to this thread and many other request threads where people are asking for an app and other people are trying to convince them it's not needed (ex. Frostwire). If developers see the large response against some requests they would be less likely to make an app for it. I see perfectly good ideas argued to death sometimes, it makes me disappointed in the community when it is held back. Maybe I'm dragging up the past but it's silly to argue against an app that someone else wants but it still shows up in nearly all request threads saying the app can't be made or shouldn't be. If there is a few people that want an app there is a good chance that the silent majority will want it, no need to talk the potential developer out of building it.
The problem with Froswire would be the requirement of Java 1.6. I have not seen how the development have gone on that... might be available now. In other case it should pretty much just be to download and install the Debian package from their homepage. It is a big possibility that it would work. The ui might not though... But on the other hand there is always Transmission to install if you want to share torrents.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Never haveing heard of Frostwire before this thread, I looked it up and looked at the threads talking about it hereabouts. I think part of the reason perople are negative about the idea is that many of those demanding an app on this thread are dooing just that: demanding. The sense of entitlement of something for nothing (not even a bit of effort) would put me off doing anything about the requests more than the people denigrating Firewire; I well uderstand the attitude in this post.

More generally, the nature of this forum is still reflective of linux roots, with people of a hackerish mentality even among us non-devs. Therefore, robust opinions on technologies and protocols, be they filesharing or any other, is to be expected. There's also a hint of disdain for people unwilling to either learn or help themselves; particularly those who don't take the effort to understand the issues behind what is legally possible and what isn't or who keep bleating the same old requests that the community are unable to do much about. This is more than outweighed by the willingness to help people who seem genuinely to be trying or, perhaps more importantly, who come up with interesting challenges.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
Never haveing heard of Frostwire before this thread, I looked it up and looked at the threads talking about it hereabouts. I think part of the reason perople are negative about the idea is that many of those demanding an app on this thread are dooing just that: demanding. The sense of entitlement of something for nothing (not even a bit of effort) would put me off doing anything about the requests more than the people denigrating Firewire; I well uderstand the attitude in this post.

More generally, the nature of this forum is still reflective of linux roots, with people of a hackerish mentality even among us non-devs. Therefore, robust opinions on technologies and protocols, be they filesharing or any other, is to be expected. There's also a hint of disdain for people unwilling to either learn or help themselves; particularly those who don't take the effort to understand the issues behind what is legally possible and what isn't or who keep bleating the same old requests that the community are unable to do much about. This is more than outweighed by the willingness to help people who seem genuinely to be trying or, perhaps more importantly, who come up with interesting challenges.
I understand how demanding would put off a developer but if one person is demanding there are likely many others who want it badly. I just wish the comments on this forum were always more likely to result in more/better apps for Maemo5. I look at Android and I'm jealous of their content because I can't give up the N900.

I understand how demanding would put off a developer but if one person is demanding there are likely many others who want it badly. I just wish the comments on this forum were always more likely to result in more/better apps for Maemo5. I look at Android and I'm jealous of their content because I can't give up the N900.
Android has a massively larger user base and therefore a lot more developers.

Developers have a lot of incentive to create apps for Android, whether to make money by selling their app or to draw traffic to a website/service.

What the maemo community/developers have already accomplished is very impressive. Not least of which is easy debian!

I suspect that several people around here (myself included) have an n900 because they would rather choose from thousands applications/utilities available in the Debian repos than from the Android marketplace.

I'm glad to sacrifice the "app store" model so long as I can easily run emacs, vim, perl, python, git, etc. on my phone (ahem, pocket linux computer). With what other phone can you so easily script your own tools/apps right on the device?

Tags
bang!-->, blocked, just gay apps, just shoot me