Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
Ok, I've calibrated this battery somehow, at least partially, but can someone explain this?

This is from rx51_battery:

This is from bq27x00_battery:

And this is from BNf with above modules wirh -r

WT*??

The Following User Says Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
No idea why you are removing modules if you want/need to use the system applet for battery information. I'm on CSSU-T(humb) and are using bme-replacement, and all the modules are loaded,

Code:
~ $ lsmod | grep battery
bq27x00_battery         7120  0 
rx51_battery            2240  0 
power_supply            6916  3 bq27x00_battery,bq2415x_charger,rx51_battery
My battery readout is correct too.

Maybe try this adaptation of the original bq27200 script, https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95816

You will not need to unload any modules for that script either. Good luck.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
Sicelo, I removed those modules only during the calibration of battery as described in post #2 in this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...93&postcount=2

I want to work with bq battery module as most of my scripts to make battery works longer relay on it. I calibrated 3 batteries this ways and this works. But this one is not. I don't know why,

What I'm showing in post above is what happend after trying to calibrate this particular one battery.

I will continue to try, but after few days of fighting I'm running out of moves...

And so with o without removing those modules BNF shows the same info.

When I put battery into another device problem is the same.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:
Hello @Estel,

I realize this is an *old* thread, but I got a new 2450mAh battery (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07B46XKZC) for my N900 and would like to calibrate it.

I'm using CSSU Stable, I see that VDQ is 1, calibration needed is 1 and the normal battery modules are unloaded:

Code:
~ $ lsmod | grep battery
~ $
I've tried twice now and what happens is that the device "faints" (screen goes black and device is unresponsive) when voltage is just above 3300 mV, so I can't continue with the instructions because the device has already fainted. The device has not corrupted the filesystem, I presume because I plug it in as soon as the "faint" occurs.

So, is there any way to calibrate this battery?

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Ironically, reflashing wouldn't help, at all. I think you just had >32 charging cycles since last calibration. For some reasons, device hadn't chance to calibrate itself automaticaly (maybe you were always charging it before it reached very low level/never let it shut itself down due to out of charge?).

To fix, you need to calibrate manually:

1. Charge battery to full, until VDQ flag turns to 1
Code:
modprobe -r bq27x00_battery
modprobe -r rx51_battery
3. Use your device normally, but don't shut it down, charge, or reboot. Checking battery level manually, from time to time (battery applet *won't* give you correct readings, due to modules being not loaded). Always ensure that VDQ flag is 1, otherwise, you need to start back from scratch. Accidental reboot may or may not turn VDQ to 0, depending on circumstances.

4. When voltage drops to ~3300 mV, stop whatever you're doing on device and start monitoring it closely.

5. The goal now is to get under 3248 mV and stay there for at least 15 seconds, without voltage either going above, or too much under (less than ~2900 mV), causing device to "faint" due to low power. The most reliable - although, time consuming - way is to set screen to never dim, and/or enable flashlight - so device will consume steady ammount of current. Monitor voltage and VDQ.

6. When voltage dros below threeshold (3248 mV) and stays there for 15 seconds, VDQ will immediately turn to 0 and chip recalibrate.

7. Power device off via normal way, before it "faints" - if you miss that step, it *won't* spoil calibration, but you may get your /home filesystem corrupted. You better not miss this step, or you will give yourself quite a homework (see next steps). In case of failing it, for some reason, follow step 8. Otherwise, you're finished now - start using device normally.

8. (optional, in case of missing step 7)
This step require you to run latest cssu-thumb or cssu-testing. Precisely, it require updated e2fsprogs&friends, cause Maemo's vanilla ones were ancient and segfaulted mid-way, leaving filesystem in total mess.

Boot into any recovery console (backupmenu's one, Mentalist Traceur's one, Pali's one, etc), and:
Code:
fsck /dev/mmcblk0p2 -f -p
a) If it says (amongst other things) "<filesystem name> clean" - with or without "recovering journal" before - and exits, you're good to go. Power off, and you're finished. Start using device normally.

b) If it informs about fixing some things, but exits cleanly, see point a.

c) If it ends with something like "Unexpected inconsistency, run FSCK manually", do:
Code:
fsck /dev/mmcblk0p2 -f -y -v >> /path/where/you/want/log/saved/fsck.log
Ensure, that path where you save log isn't any temporary directory (that will get nuked after boot), as you may really need that log later.

Where to save, depends on the recovery shell you're using. If you have rootfs mounted, /path/where/rootfs/is/mounted/var/log/fsck.log is a good place. Using backupmenu's root console (and *only* after mounting rootfs via 'mountroot' command), it is /tmp/mnt/rootfs/var/log/fsck.log, If I remember correctly (you can use auto-completion via TAB).

When it's finished, repeat this point (8) from the beginning, and follow approriate sub-point.

8.1. After you boot into Maemo, check fsck.log you've create in point 8 - it will contain (amongst other things), pathes to files that were repaired/salvaged (connected to lost+found) during manual fsck repair. Check every file's integrity individually. In case it "vanished", check /home/lost+found, it may be sitting there. In case of problems, determine which package missing file depend to, and reinstall whole package.
---

Appendix:
To check VDQ flag and voltage conveniently, either use bq27200.sh script, or package BNF (the latter is my favorite method, but no surprise here, as I've created it ).

Appendinx 2:
Don't get scared by ammount of text here - I tried to explain everything in details, and half of this (as it turned to be) tutorial is an emergency kit for worst-case scenario of filesystem corruption, due to device fainting of low power. By being at least basically aware of situation, you won't hit it, saving yourself half of this

Cheers,
/Estel

The Following User Says Thank You to bdbogart For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@Estel is long gone.

And I cannot remember how I did it earlier.
But what I remember is that putting in a new batterh let it start with double amount of capacity. I just left it run from full loaded down to empty and full load, empty...
for a few cycles (each cycle reduced off-capacity by half iirc)
but then it calibrated itself

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Having double capacity shouldn't affect this as we are speaking voltages (in mV) and the device faints when voltage drops too low. And it drops when battery gets empty enough, regardless it's size. For example there is many capacities (in Ah) of batteries for cars, for example 65Ah or 130Ah. Regardless their size their voltage is around 12,8V when full and close to 12 when empty. I am no electrician/engineer so this is basically all my knowledge about elecricity, plus the usual facts: It's blue and hurts

Anyway, for me this kind of situation happened when I still had some battery module loaded, and it makes the device switch itself off because it detects the voltage is dropping too low for the device to operate. So requirement of the calibration is to prevent this happening by unloading the modules. You probably knew this already and I have no solution/ideas what to do. So I guess this was quite an useless post, but I'll publish it anyway..

Last edited by Koiruus; 2019-11-24 at 03:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I used to use a Mugen battery cover and a double-cell battery on several N900s.
I discovered that the pressure from the doubled up BL-5Js was flexing the system board and breaking the modem connection, leading to the no-SIM of death. It was really too bad as the phones were in great shape otherwise. I repurposed them as wifi tablets with a bunch of N64 and webOS games and gifted them out to kids.

I realized I did not have the power-kernel installed, so I did not have those modules to begin with, but that did not make a difference, device still faints before getting to 3.3v. I guess I'm stuck for calibration!

Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Ummm. Do you have Pali's BME Replacement installed? If not, you should install it first. Thread here https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93183

Thanks all for the help. I've now given up, but this is what I ended up doing:

* Installed CSSU Testing (had stable before) (and reboot)
* Installed power kernel (and reboot)
* Installed Pali's BME replacement (and reboot)
* Unloaded battery kernel modules
* Changed battery to full such that VDQ = 1.

Things I noticed, BNF stopped working with the BME replacement, which seemed odd. Device still "faints" before (at?) 3.3v, so I could never calibrate.

I went back to the stock (testing?) BME... and I'll deal with the uncalibrated battery gauge.

Tags
battery, bme replacement, cssu thumb2