Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
pacman's Avatar
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2015
#11
And here's an article about it from The Register (hopefully without annoying pop-ups):

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/1...lm_smartphone/

Palm name notwithstanding, I'm not that keen on buying something like this that runs Android. I still have an HP Veer around somewhere that runs WebOS. I might fire it up one of these days for old times' sake.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 620 | Thanked: 2,036 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
#12
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
And what is this "NumberShare" thingy they talk about? Something US-specific again?
It's an even narrower Verizon-specific thing, where you can add 1-5 extra "devices" to your monthly subscription (at $10 each) and get your calls, texts, etc on all of them. It's not a local pairing thing either, each device needs its own LTE connectivity, I guess you can pick whichever phone or smartwatch or whatever you like off your nightstand to match your outfit or car or mood. I don't use Verizon, and I've never known anyone who uses this feature.

(The whole concept reminds me of "Weird Al" Yankovic's "douchey" character from the "First World Problems" video, who pulls a second phone from his pocket to tap out the complaint: "some idiot just called me up on the phone, OMG, don't they know how to text?")
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 5,647 | Thanked: 17,604 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#13
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
Palm name notwithstanding, I'm not that keen on buying something like this that runs Android.
THIS!!!

I can see the attraction of a small device that one can actually use as a phone while using a bigger device for emails and other internety stuff. But why does that small device have to run Android?

@robthebold, thanks!
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post
 

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Bundyo's Avatar
Posts: 4,550 | Thanked: 4,029 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
#14
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
It's an even narrower Verizon-specific thing, where you can add 1-5 extra "devices" to your monthly subscription (at $10 each) and get your calls, texts, etc on all of them. It's not a local pairing thing either, each device needs its own LTE connectivity, I guess you can pick whichever phone or smartwatch or whatever you like off your nightstand to match your outfit or car or mood. I don't use Verizon, and I've never known anyone who uses this feature.

(The whole concept reminds me of "Weird Al" Yankovic's "douchey" character from the "First World Problems" video, who pulls a second phone from his pocket to tap out the complaint: "some idiot just called me up on the phone, OMG, don't they know how to text?")
We have a similar thing in one of the operators in Bulgaria - you can get a new clone SIM that can be used simultaneously with the other. Dunno if it works with more SIMs.
__________________
Technically, there are three determinate states the cat could be in: Alive, Dead, and Bloody Furious.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Bundyo's Avatar
Posts: 4,550 | Thanked: 4,029 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
#15
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
THIS!!!

I can see the attraction of a small device that one can actually use as a phone while using a bigger device for emails and other internety stuff. But why does that small device have to run Android?

@robthebold, thanks!
Battery life!

Oh, wait...
__________________
Technically, there are three determinate states the cat could be in: Alive, Dead, and Bloody Furious.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
gerbick's Avatar
Posts: 6,664 | Thanked: 14,982 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ undecided.
#16
Dear lord. This is painful to witness.

Just let Palm die.
__________________
Tschüß
 

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gerbick For This Useful Post:
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 5,647 | Thanked: 17,604 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#17
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Dear lord. This is painful to witness.
What is? The emergence of such a device or the fact that we are discussing it?
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post
 

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 620 | Thanked: 2,036 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
#18
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What is? The emergence of such a device or the fact that we are discussing it?
Maybe it's the re-animation of the Palm name in a zombie product that bears no resemblance to its namesake. Like what occasionally would happen to Commodore and Atari (or Nokia, for that matter) over the years, trying to capitalize on some name recognition and long-ago fondness.
 

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
gerbick's Avatar
Posts: 6,664 | Thanked: 14,982 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ undecided.
#19
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What is? The emergence of such a device or the fact that we are discussing it?
That half baked device with the Palm sticker affixed to it. It’s an abomination.
__________________
Tschüß
 

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gerbick For This Useful Post:
hardy_magnus's Avatar
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 465 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
#20
the company should sell the palm oil instead . 350 for this crap, must be a joke.
__________________
Sorry for my bad english
researcher on psoriasis
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:04.