Posts: 21 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ vancouver washington usa
I have had skype interfere with certain connections, try it with your availability turned off.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by yasirrfc View Post
i have security enabled. its not working. it has to do something with the phone. all other devices are working fine with the connection
You must have a different understanding of 'security' than me...

I give up.

Originally Posted by misiak View Post
But it looks like "all other devices" (PC, Nokia 5800, etc) are using different operating systems than Linux and thus different implementations of connecting protocols. I can confirm that N900 (and generally few older Linux distros) have problems with connecting to some routers (I have an old router at home which sometimes behaves similarly with my N900 like you described - and it also sometimes just fixes itself after few days or after doing some strange operations... But it also works the same way with old Slax-based Linux distro - [offtopic]in case anyone's interested - it's my custom distro based on ancient 4.X line which I'm too lazy to update to newer version and newer custom packages :P anyway, Slax 6.X connects fine everytime I run it from my usb stick[/offtopic]).

So I would also support the version that router or, in other words incompatibility between some old or very cheap routers and some versions of Linux connecting implementations could be the problem here.

P.S. All words stated in above post are only my oppinion and I had not invastigated any further, I can just confirm that some routers have problems with Linux clients, but work fine with Symbian and Windows clients. Anyone who is more familiar with and has more knowledge about the problem, feel free to add something what I had said or negate and proove me wrong
And chipset incompatibilities

I've had issues with drivers being the problem and not the operating system. Atheros AR5007EG on some laptops with Windows 7 need a driver update to work with Sky's crappy router

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Proxy issue?

Originally Posted by misiak View Post
But it looks like "all other devices" (PC, Nokia 5800, etc) are using different operating systems than Linux and thus different implementations of connecting protocols. I can confirm that N900 (and generally few older Linux distros) have problems with connecting to some routers (I have an old router at home which sometimes behaves similarly with my N900 like you described - and it also sometimes just fixes itself after few days or after doing some strange operations... But it also works the same way with old Slax-based Linux distro - [offtopic]in case anyone's interested - it's my custom distro based on ancient 4.X line which I'm too lazy to update to newer version and newer custom packages :P anyway, Slax 6.X connects fine everytime I run it from my usb stick[/offtopic]).

So I would also support the version that router or, in other words incompatibility between some old or very cheap routers and some versions of Linux connecting implementations could be the problem here.

P.S. All words stated in above post are only my oppinion and I had not invastigated any further, I can just confirm that some routers have problems with Linux clients, but work fine with Symbian and Windows clients. Anyone who is more familiar with and has more knowledge about the problem, feel free to add something what I had said or negate and proove me wrong
hey i have a linksys router. my friend has a linksys router as well but it works fine there. but at my place, i have to switch on the internet radio before i can browse

Originally Posted by simmy View Post
I have had skype interfere with certain connections, try it with your availability turned off.
hey yes im offline most of the time. but the problem exists

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
New phone = same problem

New router = Solved!

Accept your issues or buy a new router. Routers are getting better and cheaper all the time.

it is a pretty good linksys router that can be found everywhere. my friend hhas the same. every other device is working fine with the router

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
Sorry Dude! But if your phone works on other wifi connections, its a problem at your router or setup........You have tried other wifi access points? ...... haven't you?

RTFM.

yep but my friend's phone works on my connection

Tags
beyond help, how do we get, rid of him