Active Topics

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Well, there's tons to say, but really, how long before this line of posting turns political? (hint: it's negative)
<rant>Yes. It happens that I am very interested in the political opinions of the people on this site, not on some other site. And politics is not a dirty word. It is the way we govern ourselves. However, because it's so important that people interested in tech stuff be ignorant about politics and in governing themselves, political talk has been banned here.</rant>

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
IMHO, it is not ignorance that is seeked, but the fact that, in and by themsleves, both politics and religion exist because of differences of opinion.

If we all agreed, there would be no campains, no platforms, no politics. If we alll agreed on a deity it would be fact by now (to us). So, by their very nature, any religious or political test is an insta-debate. And Insta-debates means insta-hijacks, insta-rants and so on.

Absolutely all forums I know that do this elegantly have a debate section with strong moderation and no off-topics, deleted posts etc.

IMO, there's no reason to have that here. I can recommend forums that do that very well, why dupe?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by windows7 View Post
Nokia owning symbian, due to the lack of apps on the n900, nokia should release a Symbian emulator for us to run some of the great symbian apps available.
Nokia no longer owns Symbian. It was released as open source. If someone wants to create a Symbian emulator, they can get at the code.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
<rant>because it's so important that people interested in tech stuff be ignorant about politics and in governing themselves, political talk has been banned here.</rant>
You know very well that's not the reason. Not even close.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
"I would rather spend 10 hours reading someone else's source code than 10 minutes listening to Musak for technical support which isn't." -- Dr. Greg Wettstein, Roger Maris Cancer Center

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMl_71dqeR8

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kryptoniankid17 View Post
@Kangal's very long but detailed post
Damn. steve jobs visits maemo.org?
Thank you, Mr Jobs could've asked me and I would've "solved" the problem lolz. But those designers always try to do something original and completely from the ground up. If they look at past experiences they may learn a thing or two.

On a side note, a friend was one of the first and I've tested the i4 here in Australia. And I don't know if she was "lucky" but there is no signal problem that I warned her about.
My conclusion = Better reception (no bars dropped) due to less traffic from competitors' signals or Australia's "3" network is much better than AT&T.

And the "3" network isn't even that good, its mediocre. The best is definitely Telstra with its "Next G" (3.5G?), then Vodafone (3G), then 3 & Optus (3G), then the minor companies, in terms of availability and speed.

And also the "bridging" is a big problem when it is actually a problem. There is no middle-point where it somehow "degrades" the call quality (as I've read many times) but can cause dropped calls, calls not going through or calls not coming through ... if your in a bad signal area.
I see it as a "designer fault" since it can stop calls coming in if your playing a game/App (bridging due to hand contact) OR making a call if you're left handed talker OR dropping a call if you need to take down a note via the phone (transferring it to your left hand & ear while you write with your right).

@Benson
Due to the difficulty of the topic/my explanation it seems there was a communication mishap. I will respond to your post later with some illustrations.

Tags
nokia cares