Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
@XOleg, I have finished a first version of the scripts last night and it seems that all is going quite well.

You can insert the regions under

https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-...port/hierarchy

as explained in https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-...scripts/import README.

In short, you would have to fork my repo, make a patch, and submit it back. Even if you haven't worked with GitHub, its not too hard.

As you could see, its possible to add custom regions as well. I am preparing for the first update of the maps, but there will be more details regarding it a bit later

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2016 @ Yekaterinbourg, Russia
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
@XOleg, I have finished a first version of the scripts last night and it seems that all is going quite well.

You can insert the regions under

https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-...port/hierarchy

as explained in https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-...scripts/import README.

In short, you would have to fork my repo, make a patch, and submit it back. Even if you haven't worked with GitHub, its not too hard.

As you could see, its possible to add custom regions as well. I am preparing for the first update of the maps, but there will be more details regarding it a bit later
@rinigus thank for your very fast job, but... This is Chinese letter for me :-( I would prefer either download districts with new version of server or import regions for old version if there is no more simple solution.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XOleg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by XOleg View Post
@rinigus thank for your very fast job, but... This is Chinese letter for me :-( I would prefer either download districts with new version of server or import regions for old version if there is no more simple solution.
sorry ,would have been complicated for me couple of month as well . So, let's get to the bottom of this .

Aim is to get regions prepared into the system so you and all others could download them into the phone using OSM Scout Server. In addition, the regions would be updated with new OSM data once in a while and follow OSM Scout Server versions.

To get maps to the phone, you need to know a little bit about how they are prepared. In short, I download current Planet PBF and process it to get PBF for each region that you see available in you're Map Manager. After getting region PBFs, I convert them into libosmscout and geocoder-nlp formats. All this is later uploaded into @MartinK server from where you download them.

Now all regions are described using simple tree of hierarchies that I linked earlier. Just try to go and browse into Russia. You would see districts, if I call them correctly. Each district has two files, name and poly. Name is simple: just the name of the region. Poly is a file that describes a line on the map surrounding that region. This file is used when regional PBFs are made and later imported.

So, to add a new region, you have to make a directory under corresponding district. The hierarchy has to be followed, otherwise we will very fart get into too slow imports and huge mess.

In case of Russia, the link that you provided for smaller regions also had Poly files. So, it's a matter of inserting them into corresponding folders and following our convention. I'll be happy if you or someone else would arrange it accordingly.

As far as I remember, you mentioned that you needed region which is between normal hierarchies. I think you could add that as well, just position it accordingly. For that, you will need to make own Poly file. See Barcelona for example of such simple region.

One question for Russian users : do you need full Russia map or are the regions fine? I am planning to remove full Russia import and just leave parts, as done for US. So, unless we have lots of users using full Russia map, there is no reason to keep it in this way .

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Now all regions are described using simple tree of hierarchies that I linked earlier. Just try to go and browse into Russia. You would see districts, if I call them correctly. Each district has two files, name and poly. Name is simple: just the name of the region. Poly is a file that describes a line on the map surrounding that region. This file is used when regional PBFs are made and later imported.

So, to add a new region, you have to make a directory under corresponding district. The hierarchy has to be followed, otherwise we will very fart get into too slow imports and huge mess.

In case of Russia, the link that you provided for smaller regions also had Poly files. So, it's a matter of inserting them into corresponding folders and following our convention. I'll be happy if you or someone else would arrange it accordingly.

As far as I remember, you mentioned that you needed region which is between normal hierarchies. I think you could add that as well, just position it accordingly. For that, you will need to make own Poly file. See Barcelona for example of such simple region.

One question for Russian users : do you need full Russia map or are the regions fine? I am planning to remove full Russia import and just leave parts, as done for US. So, unless we have lots of users using full Russia map, there is no reason to keep it in this way .
@rinigus this is explanation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...icts_of_Russia

I'll try to read yet again, understand and make. Yes, two regions are interested for me, one from one district and second from other. IMHO: maybe it's simple to download full Russia map, but space and time for dowload are required... Full map(not for Russia only, Monaco is exception) is required maybe for football funs or for vacation on wheels via country...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to XOleg For This Useful Post:
Hi! There will be disruption of the service due to updates of the maps today. Its mainly caused by a small flaw in the design that is corrected already and will be released as a part of the next OSM Scout Server release.

After the maps are updated, you would have to "Update list" before you could download again. In general, if you see download errors related to missing file on a server, try to update the list in the manager and try to download again.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
I have finished an update of the maps. Since the hierarchy was created a bit differently, few notes:

* Update the lists of countries before downloading anything. URL has changed to ensure that you do get a version that your app is expecting to get

* Some regions have different internal IDs (Russia, US/Regions, and possibly few others). To fix it, unsubscribe and then resubscribe again. For re-subscription, its better if you leave the country page and select it again for subscription in the dialogue covering all countries. Its a problem with the current update that should not be there in future, so let's live with this inconvenience.

* For all other regions, its sufficient to open a country page, press Unsubscribe and then Subscribe to initiate an update. Note that the corresponding country will be marked as an unavailable before you download a new version.

* All updates are done when you authorize the download.

* There are much more regions now with subdivisions in UK, Germany and few other countries. This is done by following Geofabrik.

* Full Russia, Canada (US, as before) are not provided. If you use them, let me know and we can try to put them back. I assumed that you cannot drive during one day through them.

In the next release, I plan to make updates easier by adding a corresponding dialogue. Then this manual Unsubscribe/Subscribe cycle would disappear.

Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Hi, I've upgraded from an older version without map management. Now OSM-Server doesn't work anymore. I have reinstalled it. I've made a new empty folder and chosen that. But after that I get the message:
Failed to open the database for tracking downloaded files.
Map Manager functionality would be disturbed.

I can't choose countries or anything to download and even my old Map database doesn't work.

Any advice?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Hi, I've upgraded from an older version without map management. Now OSM-Server doesn't work anymore. I have reinstalled it. I've made a new empty folder and chosen that. But after that I get the message:

I can't choose countries or anything to download and even my old Map database doesn't work.

Any advice?
That's new. It corresponds to the case where it cannot create or open SQLite database in the folder that you allocated. Its either some problem with the file permissions, my bug, Qt bug or combination of these.

Let's try to track it down.

* If you go to the allocated folder and try to create subfolder, does it work? Do you have permissions as user "nemo" to do it?

* Close OSM Scout Server, go to the allocated folder. Do you have "files.sqlite" in that folder? If you have it, delete this file and start application again.

* If it all fails, please try to allocate folder just in /home/nemo . Like /home/nemo/Maps.OSM

I assume you used some regular filename, without äöõ or some other fancy character in the path.

If we are still in trouble - let me know version of your SFOS, where did you try to allocate it. Please also open then new issue at github and paste the configuration file for OSM Scout Server from

/home/nemo/.config/harbour-osmscout-server/harbour-osmscout-server.conf

Please let me know how it went.

@rinigus It's OK for me. I saw "Timeout" after 10' of downloading accidentally, then I continue and download is finished after 30' from restart. 1GB for 2 districts.

I made:
- unsubscribe
- cleanup
- update list
- subscribe
- start download

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to XOleg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post

Any advice?
I have added an error description as provided by Qt's SQL engine in the new build. You could get a build from

<LINK TAKEN DOWN SINCE THE ISSUE IS RESOLVED>

However, the error message in the case of read-only folder was rather bizarre "out of memory Error opening database". So, let's see, maybe you have better luck and error message in your case would be clearer.

Last edited by rinigus; 2017-03-16 at 20:22. Reason: Issue resolved: debug build removed

Tags
geocoder, linux, offline maps, router, sailfish os, tiles