Active Topics

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Well, he held a couple of executive positions in various companies. That kind of makes him qualified.

What did you accomplish?
-> Qualified in the eyes of his brother sociopaths? Sorry I see a hired away job hopper that does no good to Nokia either.

If he was to be found holding an executive position in a company for years and is actually accomplishing something there all (including shareholders) can agree with and admire, that would make him somehow qualified.

As for now, Arkanoid for CEO if not this guy:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/263...nokia-responds
As a programmer / CEO he would have known that Harmattan wasn't all that much behind to catch up with Android in 2011 as Elop declared in his enter WP7 plans speech.

And at least I expect their qualification to pull Nokia ahead reaching further than parroting "ecosystem" and firing people.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Elop is a disconnected 1%er walking into a room of 1%ers going, "hey guys I have an Idea, lets lay lots and lots of people off and move production to Asia and go winblows late cuz uhm errrrr Izzzzzz smart" like those short fat waddling ******ed technology thieves from star trek the next gen and then the rest of the disconnected 1%ers on Nokia board go "sure, ok keep us posted" and the piece of crap failure Microhard trojan horse Elop proceeds to bankrupt Nokia and destroy its competing OS game plan so that Microhard can buy it cheap and use it to patent troll (Read we can spend more money than you on our lawyers so you have no hope/choice fighting our lame windows 3.1 patents) like they did B&N.
The next windowz device will be a vibrator with extra ram for Elop so he can enjoy his final days before a flash mob of Finnish public beats his ___ for ruining their countries income tax.
P.S. I paid a female in Denmark $100 to buy me an N9 and ship it to me so I got it despite Elop dorkwad failure trojan horse

Last edited by aironeous; 2012-08-16 at 04:57.

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
in other words, please Jolla, bring Maemo to E7.

pleeeeease!!!

Just have to say I totally agree with your comments regarding PIMs, especially the context aware part. There are some apps on the desktop that have started teeny steps towards this kind of thing. Xobni (an Outlook addin) is one where it automatically scrapes email signatures for phone numbers and uses that to build a contact profile. But no integration with calendars or tasks.

Gist is another addin for Outlook that will link up contact profiles, pull in information from social network sites, and also add in certain information on any shared meetings. It can be pretty cool when it works, but the UI needs work (always sending me to the web for any real information, where I have to login, and then wait forever for information to load)

I would love, love, love to see some real innovation in the mobile space for PIM functionality along the lines you outline. That's where it is needed the most, yet is the hardest platform to actually use.

Also wanted to say it is refreshing to see another person on here not hardware spec obsessed. Every time a thread comes up here with a "What do you want to see in the next ..." It is all about 16 core processors, 64GB of RAM, 94 MP camera, etc... For me I'd like something with capable performance, good battery life, a decent size screen, and either a hw keyboard or a stylus and throw in a good kickstand for the finishing touch. After that all I care about is software usability.

The Following User Says Thank You to dylanemcgregor For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
My Letter to Jolla:

Dear Jolla, your father and mother have failed at Maemo and Harmattan. Here is what I suggest to you. Send your CEO to a good intensive course on how to run a company, and how to deliver the goods. Learn that a device that doesnt do its basics as smoothly as iOS will fail. Learn that half-baked OS has no chance today. Learn that you need to deliver a revolutionary product in order to break out. Learn to listen and to absorb the best that is out there. And Jolla, please stop tweeting and start delivering. Words are empty and dont fill the shelves.

Sincerely, Lumiaman

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
Just have to say I totally agree with your comments regarding PIMs, especially the context aware part.
I would love, love, love to see some real innovation in the obile space for PIM functionality along the lines you outline. That's where it is needed the most, yet is the hardest platform to actually use.

Also wanted to say it is refreshing to see another person on here not hardware spec obsessed. Every time a thread comes up here with a "What do you want to see in the next ..." It is all about 16 core processors, 64GB of RAM, 94 MP camera, etc... For me I'd like something with capable performance, good battery life, a decent size screen, and either a hw keyboard or a stylus and throw in a good kickstand for the finishing touch. After that all I care about is software usability.
agree with pim too. My best experience is samsung i780 winmo. It Is great about pim info (never had palm) and compatible with outlook. n900 is good in merge contact, even can create qr code of contacts. N9 can't do that.
i Press Merge in n9, it merge incorrectly. keyboard hardware, at least i Need arrow in n9 Keyboard.
Sorry for my English and bad capitalizing (use Swype, and i still no good use n9's way in pointing cursor to letters)

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
My Letter to Jolla:

Words are empty and dont fill the shelves.

Sincerely, Lumiaman
Glasshouse - cough - cough - stones -cough.

Lumiaman, I won't blame creators of n900 and n9 for a "failure".
Given lack of marketing support (actually more like a sabotage) both had more than amazing success, despite all software glitches that can ruin the experience.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arkanoid For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by arkanoid View Post
Lumiaman, I won't blame creators of n900 and n9 for a "failure".
Given lack of marketing support (actually more like a sabotage) both had more than amazing success, despite all software glitches that can ruin the experience.
Or maybe carriers didn't want to sell any of the devices because they where more of a toys rather than viable options with enough of software support behind them even before the burning platform and all?

I would have been hesitant to get Maemo/MeeGo phone as a operator. I can imagine majority of people being disappointed by the lackluster software outside the core UI and lots of returns if the phone would have been pushed to larger audience.

What people want in these kind of forums don't even represent the 0.000001% of the market out there.
There's example a reason why there's no qwerty phones anymore, Samsung and Nokia did actually try to sell them 2-3 years ago, but they are simply not selling even in the kind of volumes that make them viable option anymore in high end.

I doubt even Jolla will be making their phone with a qwerty and i hope they wont. These kind of minorities should not be the ones pushing companies like these in anyway just because they are the most vocal ones in certain niche.
I hope the people in Jolla have also learned that when they where working for Nokia.

Last edited by tissot; 2012-08-19 at 20:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
Well I don't have any particular demands of my own, I would be perfectly happy with a new device that thrills and amazes me as much as my N9 did - and still does. With contemporary spec, of course.

Tags
lumiatard