Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Interesting news lately about shareholder meeting and report that MS agreement with Nokia is until 2016:

http://m.wpcentral.com/nokia-board-d...d-finland-sale
Methinks there'll be some big shake-ups going on at Nokia really soon. I'm in disagreement with one part of the article, though. I think getting rid of Elop would certainly be part of the BEST case scenario. Don't worry for him, though, I'm sure he'll find SOME way to survive on his CEO golden parachute. I can't understand why they hired his in the first place much less keep this kind of detrimental CEO on for this long.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Methinks there'll be some big shake-ups going on at Nokia really soon. I'm in disagreement with one part of the article, though. I think getting rid of Elop would certainly be part of the BEST case scenario. Don't worry for him, though, I'm sure he'll find SOME way to survive on his CEO golden parachute. I can't understand why they hired his in the first place much less keep this kind of detrimental CEO on for this long.
What is the point getting rid of Elop? :S Nokia is already doomed to Windows Phone and renamed to MicroNokia.

Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
I think tizen, FF etc. compete with Android mostly. People who purchase WP phones aren't generally interested in stuff those OS's bring to table anyway.
What are they interested in then, colourful squares?

Originally Posted by Lumiaman
...report that MS agreement with Nokia is until 2016
I'm sure a new CEO could mount a legal challenge against that seeing as Elop was a significant MS shareholder at the time he 'negotiated' the deal.

Every single decision Elop has made has been to benefit Microsoft even when it was patently to the detriment of NOKIA, a court would have to be blind not to see it.

I don't know what the law's like in Finland, in the UK criminals can have their assets taken away from them, that's the minimum Elop deserves.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
What are they interested in then, colourful squares?
The "basic" smartphone features probably. And things like extensive configurability/hackability, multitasking, developer and user communities, tinkering with OS, "power user" use cases, custom ROMs etc. have little to no meaning.

Every single decision Elop has made has been to benefit Microsoft even when it was patently to the detriment of NOKIA, a court would have to be blind not to see it.
Well, the "burning platform" memo was a fiasco, for sure. But the rest of it Nokia had already messed up long before his time.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post

I don't know what the law's like in Finland, in the UK criminals can have their assets taken away from them, that's the minimum Elop deserves.

LOL! The laws? Are u serious? No one have cared so far why would they care now? Seriously I don't think he has done anything illegal.

(even if he still is an Microsoft ashole)

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-06-22 at 23:14.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
The "basic" smartphone features probably. And things like extensive configurability/hackability, multitasking, developer and user communities, tinkering with OS, "power user" use cases, custom ROMs etc. have little to no meaning.

Well, the "burning platform" memo was a fiasco, for sure. But the rest of it Nokia had already messed up long before his time.
If what you are saying were true, then Apple would stil lown the market. But Android took over completely, even though the most popular handsets are at least as expensive as the iPhone. Why? People want all the tings you list above. Even Apple is offering more optimizations with every new version of iOS. The only OS that got zero traction is WM precisely because it lacks a customizable interface (switching tiles around and changing colour doesn't count).

As to Nokia being screwed before the burning platforms, that is BS. Maemo was miles ahead of Android or iOS when it came out. Nokia just needed to polish it a bit more, release form factors handsets (think e72, n900 and n9 updates) and they would have owned the market.

But this was discussed way back when, and it's all too late. Nokia's only chance now is Android, Ubuntu or Sailfish. WM is dead and will always be dead.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
No one have cared so far why would they care now?
That's the bit I don't get, why did the EU/Finnish government stand on the sidelines playing pocket billiards whilst NOKIA's shareholders were being defrauded?

Elop has a fiduciary duty to act in NOKIA's best interests, jeopardising the companies very existence in order to benefit a third-party unrelated company he personally has an interest in is a clear breach of that duty.

I can't see how just signing the deal with Microsoft whilst personally holding Microsoft shares could have been legal. The moment he announced NOKIA would be 'exclusively' offering smartphones running the most unpopular OS on the planet, a proven failure in the market place and produced by a company he held shares in, there should have been an intervention.

This wouldn't have been allowed to happen if NOKIA had been a French or German company rather than Finnish, their respective governments would've been all over it like a rash.

It'll be interesting to see if they step in when Microsoft tries to pick up NOKIA's patent portfolio for a song.

you mean the patents that microsoft already has access to?

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Time for elop corporation or elop**** pvt ltd

anyway nokia is planning to release condoms at unseen low prices so book yours and be ready to ...

Originally Posted by cr0c0 View Post
If what you are saying were true, then Apple would stil lown the market. But Android took over completely, even though the most popular handsets are at least as expensive as the iPhone. Why?
Apple is just one manufacturer, and there are lots of people who can't stand apple. With android you could at least get your Motorola, Sony-Ericsson or whatever you used to have. At the time Android was practically the only viable choice for iphone, so there you go. Pricing also wasn't irrelevant - if apple had released a low cost model early in game, Android would have been dramatically slowed down.

And Nokia messed up maemo/meego big time, by not diverting enough resources to it, until it was at least 5 years too late.

Tags
bring me beer, downward spiral, elop is nero, let's talk bs, lumiadickweed, lumiatard, nero fiddling, nokia bears, nokiastockrock, thanks for asha