Active Topics

Interesting! Found my video lead and the video output is rock solid.... so it may be the screen after all!

Any thoughts? (I'm not familiar on how the composite output is generated, but I guess it's "post DSP"?)

The Following User Says Thank You to phedders For This Useful Post:
Yes, I would now bet on a defective cable between the motherboard and the screen, at least that is better than death GPU

If it is dodgy cablinging, is there a way to repair it or repaice the cables without earing an FEng in electronic engineering?

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
It might be the flex cable. There are many out there for sell starting from like 4€ (6$?)
I once replaced a flex cable on a Nokia 5200, nothing hard, but of course N900 is more complex.

19:48 <Remi-X>: my name is fry and im shy
19:48 <Remi-X>: sh*t how can i even say something that dumb

Originally Posted by phedders View Post
Thanks Peter - I had seen that thread but it looked like a slightly different problem to be honest - or maybe worse. But then my machine is gettining worse all the time.
same problem in fact.
It started with a slight flicker, then one day later it got worse.
The picture was taken during the worst time.

Oh sorry Darodi. But yours got better? (Wish mine would...)

Originally Posted by darodi View Post
My phone is in the picture.
As said in the other thread, no idea of the cause.
The problem stopped 3 days later.
No problem since august.

I keep my fingers crossed.
I also think it could be a defective cable between the motherboard and the screen but never opened the phone to check

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Malaysia
nice.and where can i get that themes like yours?

Originally Posted by aizudean View Post
nice.and where can i get that themes like yours?
I can sell it to you for £100 - with a free Phone throne in... one off you understand...

Only joking... because... I've found the problem! Many thanks to _vi who sent me his spare screen - I isolated the problem to the screen cable - so to ebay... and now I've got the phone fully working again. Shame one of the tiny screen screws sheared when I was trying to remove it. MIght try and drill it out and fit another - but I think it's ok as it is.

Thanks to all who piped in with suggestions. And to those who've had, or have similar... might be worth just replacing that cable - It's pretty cheap on ebay (I paid about £20) considering it's quite complex and includes the camera, light sensor (which does not appear to do anything on this one (which is a good thing... but could just be my bodgeing the cover back on) led, and whatever else.

The Following User Says Thank You to phedders For This Useful Post: