Active Topics

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
thanks guys for helping me.

If N900 became faulty and its not in warranty so will Nokia replace it with another phone ? As i'm living in Pakistan. I don't know whether it is launched here officially or not but it is available here in local warranty.

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
As far as I know regardless if your device is still in warranty or not I believe Nokia Care may issue you a copy of their terms and conditions for repairing the device.

If and when they do make sure to read the fine prints clearly as I think Nokia caught onto the fact that there are unhappy N900 owners being given something else. Of those unhappy N900 owners they complained after noticing a flaw within Nokia's terms and conditions and exploited it to obtain a new N900.

Make sure also to ask them clearly what happens if they cannot repair your device and if their response favours your expectations (i.e. they offer you a new device of the same model) note down the staff who told you that and when prior to handing your device over. Otherwise if there's hardware issues with your device it maybe a good idea to get it repaired by people other than Nokia Care in case you get offered an `equivalent' device that does not run maemo, etc.

The other thing to watch out for when your device is being repaired by other people apart from Nokia Care is when people swap out your internal hardware for other types of hardware, etc. I do not know what is the case in your country but when I recently visited China my device's hardware keypad was needing replacement (the original one had paint slowly peeling off). I was lucky at the time that I visited with my dad who is able to speak with their language properly and was able to get a replacement keypad at a much more reasonable price (this also includes fitting by another store). One of the technicians who were repairing other smartphones boasted about him swapping out customer's original iphone 4's PCB with a cloned version of iphone 4's PCB. It was a good thing that N900 is not so popular in that regards but one should still remain vigilant and make sure that they are there to witness their device being repaired if its not by Nokia Care or by themselves.

I also recall there's some recent talk.maemo.org threads with people getting bad response from Nokia Care when it came to their device requiring fix. Apparently Nokia Care has been making up random excuses in a bid to not fix N900 owner's device. It will be hard to prove Nokia Care wrong if they either lied or deliberately damaged your device during the repair process once the device is out of your hands. It is also hard to prove them wrong without being able to open your device physically without forfeiting warranty by breaking seals. I would suggest if possible to have a good look at the device to see:
  • Whether it has been previously tampered. An authentic N900 will have secure screws (i.e. torx screws) on close to the bottom of the device beneath the battery cover. Torx screws are fairly tamper evident when one does not have the proper tools to undo.
  • Whether there's any stain marks on the device.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
bought my n900 yesterday. its really a great device. one thing i want to know that i my device can't recognize my device until it is password protected. and help how to enter password for it as it also doesnt ask for its password. and at one point of the screen there is a bright dot which is barely visible when screen is totally. i think it is not a dead pixel as its only white and displays colors properly at the point.

and can you give me some guides to linux as im totally new to it. but i like it very much. N900 really rocks.

Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
I agree with most parts to what darkestz said and I'm going to add my own extra information on top of it on what are my own opinions.

For sourcing a second hand N900, if its possible check the hardware revision number on the device. There are three ways that I know of on checking the hardware revision number on the device:
  • Running osso-xterm (known as X Terminal) and typing in
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    check for the line where it says "Revision : XXXX" (XXXX is in numeric form).
  • Enabling R&D mode, and checking at the bootup screen (where it has white background with blue words NOKIA). You should see the revision number somewhere close to the bottom of the screen.
  • Having device plugged into the computer and using the flasher utility to print out hardware revision via
    Code:
    flasher-3.5 -i
In most cases the second and third option are usually unavilable and the seller would not be physically willing to those steps. Only one of the three methods mentioned above should be enough to see which hardware revision the seller has.

Now with the hardware revision, I would personally avoid hardware revisions 2101 and 2104, many users with faulty microUSB port have said their hardware revisions are 2101. Hardware revision number 2104 was reported recently with just one case of slightly faulty TRRS connector.

This is not to say that all N900 with hardware revision 2101 and/or 2104 are faulty or bound to be faulty nor does it imply in any shape or form that they were officially made defective. This is just my opinion from what I have been collectively reading through and asking various owners.

Apart from that you might want to see the provided headset does work with the device along with the microUSB -> USB cable. Also ask if the seller has previously overclocked the device. Overclocking the device may have issues in the long run so it would be wise to see the seller's reaction with answering the question on overclocking.

As for your question on whether or not you should buy the device, you should keep in mind that:
  • Nokia no longer officially maintains this device nor the project that empowers this device. As noted by Darkestz. Any issues you may have with this device is only for you to fix, otherwise Nokia care may replace your N900 with some other device which you may not be happy with.
  • N900 is not a phone/smartphone. It is an internet tablet with phone functionality. You will see N900 in its pure/stock form that it lacks loads of smartphone functionality such as portrait views, MMS, starhash, etc, etc, etc. These are all the usual features that are missing in N900 so be prepared.
  • N900 is predominantly what I would deem as a somewhat more upmarket geek's toy. There are plenty of geek's toy out there and what one may see a device as a geek's toy is different from any others. To me N900's core OS is essentially linux powered which means that ideally you should be familiar with operating with linux environment. Most linux users (or even power users) could easily find themselves at home when using devices powered by linux environment, to others it is a matter of being patient and accomodating themselves so that they can adapt.
my devices revision no. is 2101.