Active Topics

Poll: Is Maemo Greeters a good idea?
Poll Options
Is Maemo Greeters a good idea?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The Maemo Greeters Pilot has been going for a while, so it's time to solicit feedback.

This is a simple unscientific poll but it would also be helpful if respondents could add their opinions to the thread, such as:

- Was the Pilot announced and presented properly? What could have been done better?

- Was the engagement facilitated effectively? What could have been done better?

- Should the Pilot have taken a different approach? What?

- Other

Feel free to be perfectly honest and objective in your responses.

I am planning to wrap up the Pilot phase this weekend and go through the material for possible refinement, then formalize the program.

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Maybe a code of conduct should be required for Maemo Greeters. I say "maybe" because some people could get offended just by innocent humor...

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
- Was the Pilot announced and presented properly? What could have been done better?
I didn't hear about it... that's my only feedback.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I would agree. There are certainly people that are greeters that does not conduct themself in a very inviting way.

The one that comes across my mind actually wrote that he was 'pissed off' about a person's (nooo..not mine...) opening thread even though, to most people it was neither an inflamatory or negative post at all. If he misunderstood or not doesn't really matter - it was how he phrased himself.
The same individual has also demonstrated the same rather poor attitude to other people.

No names or anything - and, I actually don't 'blame' him at all - we all get emotional and wrapped up in things we care about (me, I'm a great example of that) so to have regular forum members tagged as 'greeters' at the same time as they participate on an even ground I think is doomed to in the end fail.

I also don't really see the need or value in the Greeter program.
I would think most people here are 18 years+ and capable of reading an FAQ page and jump in.

It's a nice community initiative I think in that it's an initiative but it feels like something that, for me, is rather value-challenged.

Just my highly subjective thoughts - since you asked.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
I didn't hear about it... that's my only feedback.
Can you suggest anything that might have helped the visibility?

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
OK, I joined now. I like the idea.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Can you suggest anything that might have helped the visibility?
Maybe add a note to the suggested signature that says, "Find out about the Greeters Program"

Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Maybe a code of conduct should be required for Maemo Greeters. I say "maybe" because some people could get offended just by innocent humor...
That's an excellent suggestion, and it brings up a shortcoming of sorts: this is strictly voluntary, and I'm reluctant to introduce any heavy-handedness into it. I'm hopeful that an occasional admonition will suffice.

I realize it will be natural to hold Greeters to a higher standard than casual posters, but I don't want to see a separate sort of moderation applied. I guess we'll wait and see how this works. It's entirely possible it may not... but I do see value in trying, since many people had asked for some sort of solution to a certain amount of confusion. I'm very pleased with the results so far!

Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
Maybe add a note to the suggested signature that says, "Find out about the Greeters Program"
I think some have something along those lines already, and it's certainly useful information.

maemo.org community council representative, Brainstorm subforum moderator & Maemo Greeter coordinator
Different <> Wrong | Listen - Judgment = Progress | People + Trust = Success
My professional blog: http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com
My personal blog: http://texrat.wordpress.com
Cool signature.

I want to steal it and add to it:
integrity/ego = personal success ratio