Hi there. About in January-ish, I got a netbook. Since then, my N800 has gotten no love at all, really.

And since the N900, it seems the n800 generally hasn't gotten love either.

I've also gotten a dedicated mp3 player, so it's mp3 player abilities have been overshadowed.

What can I do with it to just sit it on my desk? I do sort of need a clock, for when I play something on the TV and I lose time.

Well, I COULD watch a movie or some shows while I work out...

Are there any suggestions out there?
Portable Web browser, outdone by netbook.
Mp3 player, outdone by my Sony MP3 player.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Aspen Colorado
I recently bought and modified an Orion Teletrack telescope mount for taking gigapixel pictures:

http://www.papywizard.org/
http://www.brewzone.com/2008/11/diy-pano-head

It was a very easy build, taking a few hours on Sunday morning. It's a little tricky installing the software, but the instructions are clear.

The best part is that I've been keeping the N800 in my camera bag to use as a viewer anyway. The full size SD card is still a great feature in a mobile device.

I just hope I can get a new battery when the current one dies.

i have an old n810 that we use as a video doorphone over sip at the office.

mounted on wall with power adapter through wall.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Do this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=52124

And check out the Diablo5 theme: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=52285
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by Branchedout View Post
Hi there. About in January-ish, I got a netbook. Since then, my N800 has gotten no love at all, really.

And since the N900, it seems the n800 generally hasn't gotten love either.

I've also gotten a dedicated mp3 player, so it's mp3 player abilities have been overshadowed.

What can I do with it to just sit it on my desk? I do sort of need a clock, for when I play something on the TV and I lose time.

Well, I COULD watch a movie or some shows while I work out...

when you compare the N800 and N810 to single use devices then they will always lose, yet I still reach for mine everytime, cos the killer feature is that they are almost a laptop in your pocket.

2 ideas are....

I love the internet radio on the tablets, and the fact that I can stream radio in the garden - give it a go as it's much more portable than a netbook, and being internet connected, has broader horizons than a standalone player. get an account at last.fm, install maemoscrobbler and Vagalume, let last.fm track what you listen to and use it's recommendations to discover new artists and music.

Use Mplayer with the tablet in offline mode for the best video playback. Like this most dvd rips which will fit on a CD, will play with little or no problem on the device. If you use 16GB SDHC cards you can have a little video jukebox in your pocket.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by Branchedout View Post
If you are a web developer, you could use it as a portable home web server!

1 hook it up to your stereo use vnc for a remote audio server
2 have it upload its temperature to twitter.
just a couple of things i did with my 770 after i got a n810

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smackpotato For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by smackpotato View Post
1 hook it up to your stereo use vnc for a remote audio server
2 have it upload its temperature to twitter.
just a couple of things i did with my 770 after i got a n810
Oooh good ideas. I currently use my n800, as a remote for my N900 (ssh and VNC) for when the N900 is plugged into the TV.

My other ideas include: (but not implemented yet)

Putting the n800 in ad-hoc mode to connect to the N900 to use it as a mobile file server when my N900 space is low. Imagine taking pictures and just dumping them to the n800 with 2x16 SDHC cards in them.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ West Hills California
Reflash it with a fresh Diablo image, then install the Community SSU and help us test for stability and bugs.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Costa Rica
My N800 keeps very alive as an e-book reader, but last two weeks I have been using it a lot more with VGBA, the Gameboy Advance emulator, playing Pokemon again... 2+ years with my beloved N800 and still together and close as the first day.