Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
NOKIA's symbian models are not the reason for loving symbian. Apart from communicators 9210, 9300, 9500 and 6780. They actually helped a lot to kill everything good about it. After forming symbian foundation and choosing S60 as the only UI that was it.

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Presumably that code's from before Elop closed the Symbian Foundation down in November 2010, how about a code dump right up to the last released update?
So... let me get this straight. You want to get the absolute latest version of Symbian; the one that's still on sale in many parts of the world until the Nokia/Microsoft deal is finalized, right?

How about being realistic. That dump is from January 2011 - more than likely the version you've mentioned or shortly thereafter. You want the UI advancements made in the latter releases that they're still making money from.

Want the keys to their offices too?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Nokia/MS mobile unit doesn't sell any Symbian products anymore. The last phones were shipped by Nokia last June. Manufacturing ended even before that. There might still be some units in the resellers suply chains, but Nokia/MS doesn't make any more money from those.

Personally, sure open up every last bit of Symbian. But what I would really like to see is Nokia/MS opening the closed bits from Nokia's Maemo and Harmattan/Meego stuff. Unfortunately that won't ever happen, just like it won't happen with Symbian.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
So... let me get this straight. You want to get the absolute latest version of Symbian; the one that's still on sale in many parts of the world until the Nokia/Microsoft deal is finalized, right?

How about being realistic. That dump is from January 2011 - more than likely the version you've mentioned or shortly thereafter. You want the UI advancements made in the latter releases that they're still making money from.
Why would it make a difference? Why should us having the source code hurting them in profits even if they produced and sold any symbian phones today? Last I checked android was claimed to be open source and pretty profitable.

That would be great.

The Following User Says Thank You to Artyom For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Why would it make a difference? Why should us having the source code hurting them in profits even if they produced and sold any symbian phones today? Last I checked android was claimed to be open source and pretty profitable.
Nokia does not have a history of doing any part of what you're asking. What makes you think it'll change now?

That would be great.
I'd bet.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
Nokia does not have a history of doing any part of what you're asking. What makes you think it'll change now?

I'd bet.
I don't think it'll change. In this regard, Nokia's history is full of let downs in my opinion. Probably it won't do any good due to lack of developers and modders. But my point is it won't hurt anyone.

Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
I don't think it'll change. In fact Nokia's history is full of let downs in my opinion. It won't do any good due to lack of developers and modders. But my point is it won't hurt anyone.
My point... it won't happen. If it does, you're right. It won't hurt anyone.

Elop's already sold those.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia, petition, save symbian, symbian