Notices

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
Well, now it has happened to me twice without recaller widget enabled; all widgets except contacts became unresponsive. It happened right after a call. Hildon-desktop got "unresponsive", and lost all the third-party widgets.

Oh f*ck, right now I was done re-adding all the lost widgets, and after adding DCE widgets it just went black, then showed the desktop without third-party widgets AGAIN.

Is there a problem with both recaller and DCE or something? To hell with this...

EDIT:
I re-added the widgets again, and re-checked all DCE widgets in case there were some mistakes with the "run when"-settings. Right after tapping "save", the desktop went black and recovered without any third-party widgets.

EDIT:
Nothing wrong with these I presume...

InstanceCmd=
Code:
date +"%Y-%-m-%-d"

hal-device bme | awk -F"[. ]" '$5 == "is_charging" {chrg = $7}; $5 == "percentage" {perc = $7} END if (chrg == "false") {print perc "%"} else {print "Chrg"}'

uptime|cut -d" " -f4-|sed 's/\\, *load.*//'

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.phone.net /com/nokia/phone/net Phone.Net.get_signal_strength | awk 'NR==2 {print $2"%"}'

echo "echo 2 > /sys/class/backlight/acx565akm/brightness" | sudo gainroot | echo ""

dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.profiled /com/nokia/profiled com.nokia.profiled.set_profile string:"general" | echo ""

dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.profiled /com/nokia/profiled com.nokia.profiled.set_profile string:"silent" | echo ""
None of the commands are set to run inappropriately (did that in past ), so that isn't the issue. My full .desktop_cmd_exec is available here:
http://pastebin.com/gHwmx7c5

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 2011-05-26 at 23:40.

You all are probably already aware of this thread, though it offers no solution that I'm aware of. Perhaps someone could merge 'em?

Hildon Desktop Shortcut Freezing Randomly
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72147

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Antnee View Post
I find it's just the third-party ones that disappear. The Ovi one that was on from when the phone was new never goes (and I never use it) and the calendar never goes. Also, all icons and shortcuts remain
Same here, started some days ago. Only the non third party widget remain.

Also for me, adding the widget again to the desktop respawn all the old widget, even the one that i've deleted ...

Anyone know where is the folder in which maemo store the information about the widget?

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
You all are probably already aware of this thread, though it offers no solution that I'm aware of. Perhaps someone could merge 'em?

Hildon Desktop Shortcut Freezing Randomly
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72147
I think that is a bit different, since i'm not experiencing any freeze, simple they disappear when i return to desktop from a program, not one in particular.

Last edited by pfontana77; 2011-05-30 at 11:58.

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Hey.
I already wrote some time ago, how to recover all widgets.
The behaviour of theses bugs is slightly different, but the result (loss of widgets) is the same.

Here I attach some (very small ) scripts, which help me to workaround with this bug and also the other one (mentioned in above threads link).

They will kill hildon-home (resp. hildon-desktop) and recover the widgets.
The pluginssave should always be excuted, when You made some changes to Your desktop layout.
The plugins only, if the home or desktop script did not bring Your widgets back automatically (sometimes happens, maybe 5s is to less of sleeping).

I will put this post also in the other thread ().
Attached Files
File Type: zip hildon-home.zip (1.0 KB, 137 views)

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Hey.
I already wrote some time ago, how to recover all widgets.
The behaviour of theses bugs is slightly different, but the result (loss of widgets) is the same.

Here I attach some (very small ) scripts, which help me to workaround with this bug and also the other one (mentioned in above threads link).

They will kill hildon-home (resp. hildon-desktop) and recover the widgets.
The pluginssave should always be excuted, when You made some changes to Your desktop layout.
The plugins only, if the home or desktop script did not bring Your widgets back automatically (sometimes happens, maybe 5s is to less of sleeping).

I will put this post also in the other thread ().
Great! I think I actually saw your earlier reply regarding these, which gave me an idea.

When the widgets disappear, it affects only third-party widgets. This in mind, I made two desktop shortcuts which run two scripts, as they won't go anywhere when this problem occurs.

The scripts run the following (thanks to Saturn for that):
Code:
#!/bin/sh

if [ `id -u` != 0 ] ; then
    exec sudo gainroot <<EOF
exec sh $0 $*
EOF
    exit $?
fi
If you don't think it's necessary, tell me so. On save:
Code:
cp /home/user/.config/hildon-desktop/home.plugins /home/user/.config/hildon-desktop/home.plugins.save
And on restore:
Code:
cp /home/user/.config/hildon-desktop/home.plugins.save /home/user/.config/hildon-desktop/home.plugins
killall hildon-home
I have tested this, but only by deliberately removing a widget, so the restore didn't restore it to the correct location as the location info is removed when you remove widgets yourself.

I myself haven't had the widget disappearance problem after I completely reset /home/user/.desktop_cmd_exec, but should it return, I'll be ready
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip opt usr share icons hicolor 64x64 hildon.zip (2.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: zip usr bin.zip (562 Bytes, 74 views)
File Type: zip usr share applications hildon.zip (554 Bytes, 80 views)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aonsaithya For This Useful Post:
Nice idea with the shortcuts.
For me its not a big deal (and I love) to use xterm, but hey.

The order for restore might be wrong. As on killing hildon-home, the widgets may get lost, You should better kill hildon-home first, then sleep 5 seconds and the copy the file back to its original position.
But for the purpose You do here, a simple copy is enough!
Cheers.

Nice idea with the shortcuts.
For me its not a big deal (and I love) to use xterm, but hey.

The order for restore might be wrong. As on killing hildon-home, the widgets may get lost, You should better kill hildon-home first, then sleep 5 seconds and the copy the file back to its original position.
But for the purpose You do here, a simple copy is enough!
Cheers.
I'm not sure I understood. I've tested the restore script a few times and none of the widgets have disappeared on killing hildon-home.

I've nothing against changing it though, if you deem it necessary?

Maybe I mixed up these two threads ( occasions of widgets disappearance ) also.
For me my sequences always works.

You do NOT need to kill hildon-home.
In fact, for Your script, a simple copy back (restore) should be enough (as I do with my "plugins")

You need to kill hildon-home only, if the desktop has become unresponsive. But then in my order.

Maybe I mixed up these two threads ( occasions of widgets disappearance ) also.
For me my sequences always works.

You do NOT need to kill hildon-home.
In fact, for Your script, a simple copy back (restore) should be enough (as I do with my "plugins")

You need to kill hildon-home only, if the desktop has become unresponsive. But then in my order.
I'd test what you suggest as it would of course be beneficial not having to kill hildon-home, but indeed I haven't had the issue with disappearing widgets ever since I reset DCE. When I deliberately removed a widget and then tried restoring it, killing hildon-desktop didn't bring it back and it only returned after killing hildon-home. However, as I deliberately removed it, this isn't comparable to the actual problem situation...

If the desktop processes are not restarted, then how would they reload the widgets from the copy file? Is home.plugins monitored in real-time?

Looks like. I also fiddled around with "touch"ing this file. But was not successfull,
Seems like this file is reset to original state after hildon-home crash to assure the process starts without errors...