Notices

For those thinking that Harmattan is a sunset os as far as developers are concerned take heart that there is still some developers out there producing quality apps for our N9.

Introducing SunCalc for Harmattan by Michal Jerz. This is more than an app to calculate dusk/twilight times at any point on the globe at any date, it also shows a graph of sun elevation throughout the day and night. The sun elevation correspond to solar radiation (i.e. heat) to warn you when is the hottest part of the day. (BTW, high noon is not 12:00 but 13:00 in most parts of the world.)

Useful for those who want to plan their activities depending on available daylight. For outdoor photographers knowing sunrise/sunset times is a boon.

Please support developers who continue to produce quality apps for our platform. Support and comments can be made at the developer's thread here.

(note: I'm not the developer)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kein For This Useful Post:
Downloaded SunCalc. Highly recommended.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Kein View Post
(BTW, high noon is not 12:00 but 13:00 in most parts of the world.)
Does it not depend on the time of the year?

The app looks lovely, shame I only have an N900 and not an N9.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post

No it doesn't. It's usually 13:00 throughout the year.

You could go to the developer's discussion thread and request for a N900 port. I think it is a minor matter to port from N9 to N900 but not the other way around.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA

My orrery app provides much of this functionality for the N900, plus lots more astronomical information. If there is additional twilight-related information users want, I'd be happy to add it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
BTW, high noon is not 12:00 but 13:00 in most parts of the world.
No it doesn't. It's usually 13:00 throughout the year.
I am intrigued. Would you care to explain? The way I see it, you may be talking about apparent solar time, in which case high noon is defined as 12:00. Or you may be talking about local time, where the exact time of your local high noon depends on your relative position within the time zone and on daylight saving. Although a permanent daylight saving idea keeps popping up from time to time and has or had in fact been implemented in some countries, it is by no means common.

With the odd exception of countries using a single time zone despite spanning several time zones geographically, or using the "wrong" time zone, your local high noon is usually somewhere between 12 and 1 pm, thanks to most time zones' west bias. With daylight savings on, this changes to between 1 and 2 pm.

But my understanding may be wrong. I would like to know where your claim that is is exactly 13:00 throughout the year comes from. Maybe I am missing something obvious.