NIN101, in latest version there is a problem with fsck.vfat.
What kind of problem? Because it/the symlink doesn't even exist. Dosfsck is the name of the tool. But when just running it without any arguments, I get "CP437: Invalid argument" - the code page though is in the kernel. Well, you can consider it a bug then.

Do you still think about integrating backupmenu?
The problem here is that rescueOS simply hasn't the highest priority in my free time. I think I will not do it for this reason.

modprobe 'kernel/drivers/usb/gadget/g_file_storage.ko': unknown symbol in module or invalid parameter
Hmm, I can't confirm this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NIN101 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
The problem here is that rescueOS simply hasn't the highest priority in my free time. I think I will not do it for this reason.
improve whenever you have time thanx for such awsome tool

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
NIN101, thank you for your work.

If someone else will maintain this:

1. nano doesn't work. It quits with
"Error opening terminal: linux."
But while vi works this is no real issue.

2. It would be nice if poweroff could be aliased to shutdown.

3. Sometimes the wifi connection didn't worked anymore. If you run into this: simly kill wpa_supplicant and rerun setup-wpa-wifi.sh.

4. If I try to execute mass-storage-enable.sh I also get the error rdorsch had:
modprobe: 'kernel/drivers/usb/gadget/g_file_storage.ko': unknown symbol in module or invalid parameter

In dmesg or stdout of the n900 the error is more meaningful:
g_file_storage gadget: No serial-number string provided!
g_file_storage gadget-lun0: unable to open backing file: /dev/mmcblk0p2

This is the error which labaxp also pasted.

I have no available useful block devices:
no /dev/mmc… or /dev/sd….

Just mtdblock0 … mtdblock5.

I don't know exactly anymore but I think I changed the mmc sometime. And it looks that this also caused the issue on the phone of labaxp

@labaxp can you tell how you how you solved your problem.

Update: I closed the cover and the keyboard. Now mounting is no problem anymore.

Last edited by antifarben; 2013-06-25 at 16:12. Reason: Close all the covers and keyboards!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antifarben For This Useful Post:
1. nano doesn't work. It quits with
"Error opening terminal: linux."
Embarrassing. This error is confirmed, as somebody named NIN101 didn't include /usr/share/terminfo in this release.

2. It would be nice if poweroff could be aliased to shutdown.
Why?

3. Sometimes the wifi connection didn't worked anymore. If you run into this: simly kill wpa_supplicant and rerun setup-wpa-wifi.sh.
This can simply have too many reasons, maybe even not rescueOS related..., I can't hunt them all.

I find usbnetworking much more convenient anyway, but maybe because my PSK is quite long...

4. If I try to execute mass-storage-enable.sh I also get the error rdorsch had:
modprobe: 'kernel/drivers/usb/gadget/g_file_storage.ko': unknown symbol in module or invalid parameter

In dmesg or stdout of the n900 the error is more meaningful:
g_file_storage gadget: No serial-number string provided!
g_file_storage gadget-lun0: unable to open backing file: /dev/mmcblk0p2
If you have the backcover opened/sd card inserted then you get different device nodes for the EMMC partitions. If you have it not inserted, you get others...
This script is based on an assumption: That you don't open your backcover or insert/remove the sd card while using rescueOS. Because then it references the wrong ones...
If you boot rescueOS with no sd card inserted, it works.
If you boot rescueOS with an sd card inserted, it works too.
If you change that state while running rescueOS, it won't work as intended anymore.
Actually, it would be much smarter to get the information whether the sd card is inserted or not during boot and preserve the device node names instead of letting the script doing this magic...
Although it's late here, I think this would make sense...

All this will be dealt with the next release.

Thx for your feedback.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NIN101 For This Useful Post:
New version

Changelog
1.1 2013-06-30
==============
FIX Correclty detach ubifs (thx, Pali)
FIX /usr/share/terminfo was missing
FIX Detect device node number of internal emmc on boot, not in mass-storage-enable.sh
NEW /rescueOS/enabletelnet.sh /rescueOS/enableftp.sh - To enable telnet or ftp manually
Download

A thing that often is forgotten by some users:
If you want to mount something, it's better to specify the filesystem explicitly. For example, for fat mount -t vfat ...

Special thanks to all bug reporters.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NIN101 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
I recently decided to use my N900 again and encountered a small problem. I came across this thread and tried it out. Easy to use and does what it says. Just wanted to post good feedback regarding this as well as all efforts that go behind this.

Great job!

EDIT: Apparently there is a Wiki Page for this (http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Nin101/N900_Rescue_OS), but looks like it needs some updating. I'll pitch in with updating it; hope the original author/s wouldn't mind?

Last edited by topet2k12001; 2013-07-03 at 19:09.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
Apparently there is a Wiki Page for this (http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Nin101/N900_Rescue_OS), but looks like it needs some updating. I'll pitch in with updating it; hope the original author/s wouldn't mind?
It's completely outdated, this is the documentation now. I don't think it's really necessary to create a wiki page, but if you want to do it, a good start would be to integrate the documentation. Please create the article outside of "/User:Nin101/" if you want to create one.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NIN101 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NIN101 View Post
It's completely outdated, this is the documentation now. I don't think it's really necessary to create a wiki page, but if you want to do it, a good start would be to integrate the documentation. Please create the article outside of "/User:Nin101/" if you want to create one.
Thanks. If it were me I would not need a Wiki as well as the documentation is sufficient (for me). I'm just thinking of potential end-users who may benefit from your work and in my opinion, an article that is catered to such an audience would encourage more usage..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
what is the difference between restoring rootfs with Rescueos and flashing it with Maemo Flasher?

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
what is the difference between restoring rootfs with Rescueos and flashing it with Maemo Flasher?
From: http://n900.quitesimple.org/rescueOS/documentation.txt

Use cases ~~~~~~~~ In fact, most users do not need it. Either way, possible use cases: -Changing typos in bootscripts which prevent an operation system (e.g. maemo) to boot. -Creating a backup of files before starting a reflash. But should have existed anyway, correct? -Charging the battery (when maemo is dead). -Modification of the EMMC partitions and partition table. -Backing up & Restoring maemo rootfs. -fsck file system checks -and more...
...in my case, I found use for it on one instance where I had to recover my files before flashing at a time when I wasn't able to get the N900 to boot to Maemo 5 (and hence, prevented me from making a backup). With this tool, you can still access your files even if you are unable to boot to Maemo 5 and therefore create a backup. Once done, you can proceed with "normal" flashing.

The Following User Says Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post: