Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by baxyp View Post
I did put together a custom version of modest, to fix some bugs that PR1.2 introduced: send/receive and email notifications not working with POP3 accounts and messages deleted from server regardless of "Leave messages on server" setting.
Latter was fixed in git already, for former I had to come up with some patches. I did make some performance improvements too, to reduce the time it takes to check for messages: original version checked 3 times in a row when send/receive button was pressed in headers window Now it does it only once.

The patched version, which is in attachment, is based on http://gitorious.org/modest/modest modest-3.4 branch. To install, copy this file to N900, become root and unpack it:
Code:
tar xzf modest-3.4.2-baxyp-1.tar.gz  -C /
This will overwrite /usr/bin/modest.launch and /usr/lib/camel-lite-1.2/camel-providers/libcamelpop3.so. Reboot your phone.

To uninstall, just reinstall modest and libcamelpop3 from PR1.2:
Code:
apt-get --reinstall install libtinymail-camel-1.0-0 modest
I have tested it with my POP3 and gmail accounts and it seems to be working fine, but I cannot give any guarantees, use at your own risk.
OMG! i did it. after the command is entere and file dl'd is copied to my user/home file, i did a sudo gainroot, the copy/paste ur command and it immediately just showed the blank command prompt of user/home: again.

rebooted and the email is much faster.

i use all imap except 2 email are pop...and i didnt have to wait forever to redownload.

not sure what the issues were with sms. it worked fine for me before.

thank you this.

is it possible to make this contacts work correctly? where you can type in some letters in the address and have it actually pull up some suggestions instead of just saying there is no contact that matches, only to tap on "To" and then WAIT for 8-15 seconds to opne up the contacts and type the same couple of letters and have it pull up the names with them in it?

same goes with sms and having to wait.

great job btw. much appreciated.

@baxyp

Hey, do you think it would be possible to place a limit on the size of downloaded messages? Example:
1) Define limit is x KB or unlimited in a config file
2) When listing email messages in pop3, modest skip those emails that exceed allowed size.

It doesn't sound like an impossible idea... :-)

also would be great if somehow there was a wa to implement the ability to have certain email accounts use certain connections.

ie-my yahoo email constantly gives me errors because it will not update when on wifi, only network. so i would like to make it the deafault for that account only...like we were able to do on our communicators.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
This sounds really great. I thought Modest wass off-limits because nobody has come up with anything like this before. By off-limits I mean closed source.

Thank you so much!

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Pärnu, Estonia
Originally Posted by asidana View Post
thanks. just installed it.
i am being waay security paranoid i hope you didn't add any spyware in it to work as deamon and transfer some info to you :P
Sorry for late reply, I've been very busy lately. I did not add any spyware of course. My patches are attached, you can check them out or use these to build your own binaries.

Anyway, seems that POP3 send/receive problem in modest is finally fixed in git, here's link to the bug and commit in git. I have not tested it yet, so I do not know whether it works properly or not. It is different from my hack (my disconnection code is in tinymail), but basic principle is the same - POP3 connections need to be disconnected before checking for new mail, otherwise server will not report any new messages.
Attached Files
File Type: gz modest-3.4.2-baxyp-1.patches.tar.gz (4.6 KB, 222 views)

Last edited by baxyp; 2010-07-02 at 17:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baxyp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by soeiro View Post
@baxyp

Hey, do you think it would be possible to place a limit on the size of downloaded messages? Example:
1) Define limit is x KB or unlimited in a config file
2) When listing email messages in pop3, modest skip those emails that exceed allowed size.

It doesn't sound like an impossible idea... :-)
I'm not sure, but I think modest downloads just headers when checking for mail and fetches the message only when you view it the first time.

Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
is it possible to make this contacts work correctly?
It is best to open a bug (or vote on existing one) for such things at bugs.maemo.org and hope the devs will make the necessary changes. I'm sorry, but I do not have time to look into those issues, too much to do at work currently.

daxyp many thanks for compiling this. You've given me my N900 back. I have put links to your first post in the two bug reports you have fixed.
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10357
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10435

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot for this fix, the first bug caused me a lot of trouble !
Great work.