Active Topics

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
There are open source application that are excellent too.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by XiliX View Post
There are open source application that are excellent too.
Sure. What I meant is that if there's a good, closed-source, alternative to a crappy, open-source, program, I'll take the former, unless I can fix the latter myself.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Sure. What I meant is that if there's a good, closed-source, alternative to a crappy, open-source, program, I'll take the former, unless I can fix the latter myself.
So you take iOS over Sailfish?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
So you take iOS over Sailfish?
Lol. Hell no. I wouldn't touch iOS with a stick. Not because it's not open, but because it's not good (in *my* book).

As for Sailfish, I can't say for now. Will have to see it.

I guess I could now go and delete my comment. It was meant very very generally, i.e. without a particular program/OS in mind.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands
Jolla only has 80 employees who are doing their best to deliver a great phone+UI. Maybe they simply don't have the resources to market like or the compwtiotion, we are the fanboys we need to do it! Also if they are going to make te people wild 6 months before launch like Nokia always did they make the same mistake. Let them make advertisement a month before launch, December! Its a good month, people are spendig then so it wouldnt be a bad time to advertise and release!

So, can we start enumerating closed components now? It's good to make some table of what's closed and what's Android based and requires libhybris.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by XiliX View Post
yes it has closed components. Not that it matters. Every distro has some closed parts.
Every phone, maybe,

Every distro, no. Debian exists.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnHughes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Whether a UI is excellent or not is irrelevant. Openness is important.
edit: I realize drivers and what not will be closed but a platform should be open enough to port it to other hardware. The user interface is a pretty important component and should be open.

Jolla have stated over and over again that they have no problem with people porting it to other devices. They just won't allow other companies to port it to devices they plan to sell without paying. Myriad's Dalvik alone needs to be paid for in some way.

Android is not any better or more 'Open' in this regard. Every Android manufacturer pays Google to ship devices with their official closed source apps on it. The AOSP maintainer famously quit his job recently because of the closed nature of Google's flagship Nexus devices.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
So, can we start enumerating closed components now? It's good to make some table of what's closed and what's Android based and requires libhybris.
If someone can post a package list, I'm happy to run through it and update with what I know.

I don't have a device with retail software to hand, so I'm not able to do that part.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to myname24 For This Useful Post: