Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
New Jolla blog about Rostelecom investment in SailfishOS

https://blog.jolla.com/new-strategic...ilfish-family/

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to richie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Well if they got more support and funding hopefully they do more full feature fledged updates!!! and actually offer SailfishOS on wider range of devices.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
Well if they got more support and funding hopefully they do more full feature fledged updates!!! and actually offer SailfishOS on wider range of devices.
And finish the refund program once and for all.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Future will tell.
On one side; politically there are arguments that could be debated.

On the other side, tho, they seem to be the only ones who believe in SailfishOS at the moment.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
I don’t mind taking my refund in roubles

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
People on blog.jolla.com say Rostelecom claims to have bought jolla on their website.

https://www.rostelecom.ru/press/news/d443012

Can somebody clarify if this is true?
If so I wonder what path Sailfish will follow from now on.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
It seems that Finland, Germany and EU in general had a change with Jolla to build up proper 3 option for Global markets. We had a change to build ecosystem which would be more private and now it's seems that's is slipping away.
Problem has still been that Jolla has never been totally open so in hands of Russia....

So I recommend everyone to start supporting Purism Librem 5.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=purism

It seems to be only real option now. At least for me.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to KylliOrvokki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
EU made so many stupid regualtions about most ridiculous things but when it comes to tech, they simply let everything go to toilet drain. Sure, keeping ST Ericsson and such alive on residents budget would not be very welcomed. But now we are in a situation that if someone builds a wall around EU we can't make even a microvawe let alone something rellly advanced since CPUs and all other most important bits comes from non EU countries and companies.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
EU made so many stupid regualtions about most ridiculous things but when it comes to tech, they simply let everything go to toilet drain. Sure, keeping ST Ericsson and such alive on residents budget would not be very welcomed. But now we are in a situation that if someone builds a wall around EU we can't make even a microvawe let alone something rellly advanced since CPUs and all other most important bits comes from non EU countries and companies.
Spot on. Nokia's demise was the kulprit of all of this.
the de-industrialization of Europe as such was a complete Far-west; no rules, no parachutes, just a straight fall to the bottom (and all of us took a toll).

About jolla's rostelekom; it makes sense for rostelekom to have a stake in jolla, in order to secure SailfishOS RUS gets the rightful attention. I do not see how this would affect the currently opensourced components (except for not upstreaming).

There are alternatives to the currently closed-sourced components (glacier for example); and for Jolla MER is a key technology.
What I am saying is, anyone with pockets could come up wiht "another" SailfishOS; more easily than it was 5 years ago, and leverage the existing work forged into MER (compatibility with devices etc).

In the end (for jolla) it all boils down to the strategy caulderon: if Pienimäki has the right cards, and plays them well.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2018-03-23 at 09:34.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
For me not a problem receiving my refund in roubles ;-)

I think that Purism/Librem never ever at no time would make a product You can buy and held in Your hands.

Nothing now and in the past gave me a sign that there would be more than hot air.

Who has a problem with Russia/Rostelekom can sell his phone and try any other platform.
I am tired of listing that Russia is sooo bad, no freedom and much more. Can we please be more optimistic and enjoy and gratulate Jolla for surviving and a more clear future than before.

Europe has not passed its opportunities. The politicians are not so unintelligent and uninformed as we talk here all the time.

This IS THE PLAN to do nothing and stay in the dependencies from the US. They have all the knowledge we have here and maybe much more. So I think this is a decision in the EU and not a miss.

A BIG toast for the new investor and all the possibilites Jolla has now.

Russia shows us how to make strategic decisions and also to DO IT!

The Following User Says Thank You to firefox-58 For This Useful Post: