Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
Yes, without the ability to use apps like Whatsapp many people would need a second phone and then (soon after) will wonder why they would carry the one with Sailfish.
I look at it like a bonus.
When people ask me to join their whatsnot group, I tell them it does not work in my phone

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Bottom line is, using only OSS on AOSP will give more options than we have on sailfish. Is that enough to get us trough the day or do we need something that needs google is another question. All I need is an explanation why is using google over android emulator on top of sailfish better, safer, more private, whatever..... then using it on top of AOSP or some stock ROM that includes all of their services?
Have you ever used a linux commandline for anything?
The one that comes with android is a very limited thing indeed...

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
again.
Normal android device can run android without a trace of google. How is running an app dependent on google services like whatsup better on top of sailfish than it is on top of AOSP?

Is the Nokia 8 a normal Android Device?
They (HMD) promote so called native, pure or clean Android for best performance and of course for "your security" by Google.
I was using it till the glued display dropped out after the first one got broken and repaired. What a terrible situation these glued displays! Where are the climate kids to force the politicians put an end to this kind of cancerous consumerism and force/reward companies into 5 to 10yrs warranty on smart devices?

On Nokia 8, Disabled most Google crap I could find a disable knob not having any illusions about this being only half measure, I found myself "punished" by tiresome nagging applications declaring they won't run w/o Google whatever, or that I need to update my Google whatever and.

2nd, what could be a greater issue for business types is that unavailability of push messaging, so no alert on SMS, or incoming email like for example Protonmail or Zoho, both excellent email applications for which no Sailfish native solution exists that offers in dept e-mailing convenience.
The Google services then present buttons where with one slide of a finger you accidentally enable them.

3rd, no more OS updates being presented; So which Google crap should I enable next?

On Sailfish OS on Xperia X things feel unfinished and basic GSM call and ip call convenience still lacking.
Sometimes I have to restart my phone to be able to receive an incoming phone call again or have a pending SMS finally sent out.
Great job Jolla.

So no thanks for the XA3 or any other future Sailfish "compatible" Sony as long as my Sailfish Xperia X feels unfinished.

"We" don't need new hardware. If Jolla was to buy a container of old Xperia X and sell them as Jolla Xperia at a profit margin with full and polished support at present day meaning, sadly, improved Android capability so I can run for example critical applications like Wire Messenger.

1) Fix compatibility issues on existing HW platforms before adopting new ones with their own quirks?
2) Work with partners to integrate messenger applications in a central hub. Think Nokia N900: online offline in one go, for all services and configurable per service. Integration with your address book. That's what a professional smartphone interface looks like. I once had the Pre 3 HP China Webos phone, as far as I remember they also did some things right and coincidently they had to die too!?

3) Stop supporting development of half finished Sailfish apps like the built in Sailfish browser, instead make sure the Fennec Browser is running natively on Sailfish. Just one example of useless resource leaking.

The project I get most enthousiast about is not Sailfish OS, although using it as my daily Phone, but it is instead Maemo Leste.
Quite telling about the bleak expectations in the Mobile phone market.
Nice to see some progress on Camera front, also by Apple, picking up where Nokia left in 2012, 2013.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post: