*lifts Guber rule for one second*

Well in Hindi it means cow crap..but here it refers to Guber99: an agent of Apple company intent upon turning this largely productive community forum into a site for flame wars.....

The Following User Says Thank You to ujwalsoni For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Some N900 users are a kick

Reasons to return the N900 if you are more a smartphone user and less tech.

1. Laggy more than it should be (pressing icons and nothing happens or a delay)
2. Weak 2G radio (unless the three I had were all defective)
3. Minimal apps available and not looking much better (in regards to commercial apps)
4. To get the most out of the device you need to be more tech oriented- this device is not for consumers that just want apps and a smartphone.
5. Very weak portrait integration that will likely not get much better
6. Lack of picture mms that more people use than email attachments on smartphones
7. Weak map integration

And all of this is coming from a rube like me who LOVES the N900 due to its media ability and handy as a Mini-Me netbook. Still, I use my G1 as a smartphone and the N900 as everything else.

BTW, I hope I am wrong as heck about the long-term app status, portrait mode, mms picture, etc, but the longer this stuff takes to happen, the less likely it will. Maemo 6 and new devices are on the horizon.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-02-14 at 18:03.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You can, via Evolution, easily.

It's possible, just not yet on the N900.
I'm having some difficulty finding anything about Evolution and Exchange Provisioning..

Plus.. your statement is slightly inaccurate and skewed anyway..

there are people using their N900 to check Exchange and/or work email... it's specifically the provisioning portion that doesn't work.. which in my extremely limited understanding of provision thats because it wants control of a device with which you have root access too. I find it hard to believe an Exchange Server can wipe your Linux Desktop....

Also.. while searching around for addition provisioning information I came across this... At launch.. the Droid didn't support certain exchange protocols either.

Not sure if they've been fixed or not.. don't care enough... point is: N900 isn't the only device that has problems 4 months after it's released..

Seriously.. people keep treating bugs as if they're the end of the world.. be realistic. Nothing's perfect.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
be realistic. Nothing's perfect.
*Cough* Excuse me! *Cough*

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Ooops... Forgive me Madam.

Adjusted statement:

Be realistic... nothing (except RevdKathy) is perfect .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Wait, wait... wait. I'm just making a point that provisioning is still not an answered item that lead one member to complain a lot... it's not my problem at all.

The whole "do your research" crowd need to realize that not all points around this phone and connectivity are well-documented.

Evolution, I use that on my second laptop while at the office I consult for. They use MS Exchange 2003, and it ties into their network without a hitch.

And I've already talked about how Android didn't even have MS Exchange support when the G1 first came out, it was a $30 app you had to pay for at first.

The lack of a feature... that's not a bug, the lack of support is closer to the truth there. But where would one find that documented? So far, I've yet to see one direct link to where that's answered. And that's what is lacking. So if a person were to do extensive research - such as I've attempted to do - they will have more than a few questions left unanswered... and for those reasons, I'm holding off my purchase.

And I've never stated that the N900 was the only device with problems either. I had to suffer for almost 18 months before the iPhone got "stable" enough to do half the stuff I'd expect a phone to do as "advertised".

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Except for your teddy bear.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

The Following User Says Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Wait, wait... wait. I'm just making a point that provisioning is still not an answered item that lead one member to complain a lot... it's not my problem at all.

The whole "do your research" crowd need to realize that not all points around this phone and connectivity are well-documented.
You already saw this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...109#post526109

If they had done their research... then yes - back in September, they would have found out that it was not supported properly.

They obviously did enough research to find this forum after it broke or didn't work... why couldn't they have done so before they dropped $500-$600 on a brand new, first generation (with this OS), cell phone?

I don't usually disagree with you Gerbick, as for the most part you're sane, clear, logical, and present your complaints/comments/input in a very calm and efficient manner.

The only thing is lately you seem to be hell-bent on defending people that... well.. you really shouldn't be wasting your time defending. It's not that they complain.. it's how.. and even you yourself realize how ridiculous it gets.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
You already saw this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...109#post526109

If they had done their research... then yes - back in September, they would have found out that it was not supported properly.
Please read that linked post again. In fact, the word "provisioning" is not in that post. That post is not official documentation from Nokia. I get what you're saying; however you're not getting what I'm saying.

Simply put, please link me to the official documentation from Nokia that would have answered a question from a MS Exchange user/admin point of view.

THAT doesn't exist. That's my point. If it existed, one link and all of that guber99 ranting would have been proven moot.

It does not exist. Therefore, research would have been inconclusive.

They obviously did enough research to find this forum after it broke or didn't work... why couldn't they have done so before they dropped $500-$600 on a brand new, first generation (with this OS), cell phone?
Without clear documentation, assumptions via the PR verbiage can prove to be rather misleading.

I don't usually disagree with you Gerbick, as for the most part you're sane, clear, logical, and present your complaints/comments/input in a very calm and efficient manner.
I don't mind discussing with people where we might disagree. That happens. But thanks for considering me sane... at least one of us thinks so.

The only thing is lately you seem to be hell-bent on defending people that... well.. you really shouldn't be wasting your time defending. It's not that they complain.. it's how.. and even you yourself realize how ridiculous it gets.
Nope. I'm not defending those people. I actually do get where they're coming from... sure as hell wished they would present their grievances in a much better way - not in multiple threads, not all over the site, not inciting riots. Grievances, especially in this community, could enhance Maemo 5.

Instead, on one hand you got a few disgruntled folks that... well, didn't get answers as deeply as they should have before investing into the N900. Then you have others that know... they're in it for the long haul. Things that aren't here today, might be there tomorrow either via upgrade, update or community.

In the middle, it seems I'm there. I see both sides, and trying to figure out why in the heck am I one of the few that's in the middle. Able to see both sides, want the rational people to take the time to see both sides instead of "**** YOU MAN, YOU'RE A NOKIA APOLOGIST!!" or "**** YOU MAN! YOU'RE A DAMN N00B!" - and ultimately nothing gets solved.

And honestly? I shouldn't have to work this hard to get some answers from Nokia. Will they support the N900 after Maemo 6 come out? Will commercial apps continue to get updated or dropped like the N810 was? Does it support Exchange 2003 - that was actually answered fully with PR1.1, but that came in January for a product launched earlier, so I had to wait.

I mean, via Nokia... if I contact them I get PR verbiage. I come here, I get fan verbiage. And ultimately... I just want cold, hard facts. And instead of research, I'm... doing something deeper when all that's needed... Nokia just needs to beef up their own documentation to answer more questions instead of just trying to sell me something and never answer anything.

Do I find the constant whiners ridiculous? Hell yes.

But I also find that Nokia's lack of definitive communication in a few areas that would cause some people to second-guess a purchase also somewhat ridiculous. It could stop a whole bunch of whining.

And for people like me... it just stalled my potential purchase. I'd rather err on the side of caution - something I do not share with the guber99's, et al. I did my research, found some gaps, didn't pull the trigger.

I get what you're saying; however I request kindly that you see that I'm trying to improve the communication from Nokia to those that... well, need a helping hand in those areas. I'm not one of those folks; nor do I think you are. But some people... need extra it seems and it's not there.

Sorry for the long *** response. Just making myself clear. I'm defending nobody, just want the damn community to stop attacking each other, see the potential faults, make it all better. That's all.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Should I check the gearbox oil / transmission fluid when I go to buy a brand new car??? Or should I 'google' whether the dealers sell it with the oil???

The Following User Says Thank You to UNderworld For This Useful Post:

Tags
disclose before selling, extremism rules!, flamewar, here be ranting, learn before buying, misery loves company, never blame nokia, provisioning, troll, wgaf