Active Topics

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Alabama
Over the past 2 weeks, I have been jotting down a list of things I feel that the N900 needs added or fixing. I would like to ask the community what they think about the list and if anyone would like to add to it. Some things have already been mentioned in the forum and might have already been sent to brainstorming or the bug list.

1. Microphone has failed to initialize a couple of times. Reboot fixed it but I cannot trust it as my primary phone until it is 100% working.
2. Get Gmail exchange settings working.
3. inability to choose which to answer (phone, sip, skype) if they ring at same time
4. needs seperate volume controls for phone, media player, and ringer. If I turn down media player ringer volume is lowered too.
5. FM transmitter is disabled when charger is connected.
6. Internet radio needs an adjustible buffer size setting.
7. Samba needs to be installed with a simple shared public folder.
8. Screen should light up for an incoming call. Slide to answer works great.
9. File manager needs a "send to" (email, and bluetooth) option
10. VNC server would rock.
11. Circular zoom should be universal across all apps that might need it (browser, picture viewer, office suite.
12. Need a command in terminal to reset back to factory defaults with the option to clear all user data.
13. Screen needs to come on when a usb cable is plugged into computer.
14. Skype needs a default country code so I can call out landlines or cellular from my contact list. Skype currently asks for a country code (+1 for the US).
15. Ability to set a certain ringtone to a contact.
16. Ability to use a shortcut more than once for different desktops.
17. MMS messaging.
18. When plugging into a computer through USB there needs to be a default setting option for either mass storage or pc suite.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hitec For This Useful Post:
+1....except the hardware problems as I haven't experienced any.

Still a very happy chappy with the device though. Love it.
http://www.derekgibbons.com
http://www.derekgibbons.tv

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Have you checked bugzilla to see how many of these have already been filed? You can vote for them, and add ones you think are missing.

You might also want to look in brainstorm - some of these are already being looked at. One (sending general files) has a work-around to my certain knowledge by using Petrovich.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Good list, thanks!
Originally Posted by hitec View Post
10. VNC server would rock.
There is x11vnc "somewhere" and it works ok.
I do not know however what it does to your battery time :-)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Vnc viewer already exists. I believe the server is in the pipeline. (testing? devel?)

It will happen.

You might also want to vote on this brainstorm: Make spinning a universal gesture.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Hmm, what immediately comes to my mind:

- Support for USSD codes in the phone app. (Supposedly this is already underway)
- OMA-EMN support (Email Notification)

Regards,
Chris.

The Following User Says Thank You to chrget For This Useful Post:
+1 for samba/windows share support

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
A profile for battery and on power would be good. Similiar to a laptop. When on line power, max everything and no timers to turn off screen etc.

VNC server will not happen because it's a bad solution to a problem that is already solved. What you should be doing is using X11 forwarding - although why you would want to run GUI apps on your phone remotely is beyond me.

Samba support by default is a bad idea, because it is not core functionality. This is what the repositories are for.

Why should the FM transmitter be disabled while charging?

Resetting to user default without destroying user data is hard, because unlike other devices there is no hard and fast separation between user data and device software.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Webbie For This Useful Post:
FM Transmitter works when charging, just not when connected to USB devices. My transmitter works with the included AC adapter and with my 12v adapter.

The Following User Says Thank You to mlpmail For This Useful Post: