Posts: 88 | Thanked: 411 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ southern Italy
Originally Posted by brunelli View Post
So... The main camera now supports 16Mpix \o/
This is actually bad news because it means SailfishOS programmers had to implement something different than the standard 20/23Mp modes.

A bit of math:
- Xperia X with Android sports "20Mp" in 16:9 at 5984x3366 resolution (20.14 millions pixels)
- Xperia X with Sailfish sports "16Mp", that is:
16 million pixels area in a 16:9 grid = 16Mp / (16*9) = 333² = about 5328x3000 resolution.

That is, about 12% less pixels on the X axis (~650 pixels less than in the 20Mp mode) and on the Y axis (~360 pixels less). I hope this difference is intentional and actually required to do the serious stuff before saving the jpeg file (only Cbeta guys can confirm the resulting quality), as ignoring outmost stripes from the captured image may help improve white balance. But clearly it means that Sailfish does "less than" the Sony-supplied camera software.

Having "many megapixels" is useless if the camera software saves the image without doing proper noise reduction, contrast enhancement, ISO sensitivity boosting and so on - things that only the sensor manufacturer knows how to calibrate.

Note: the only reason to have "many megapixels" was reducing the picture size - say from 20 to 2 megapixels - to wipe out artifacts and noise, but it won't give you a "night mode" shot better than the original OEM-developed driver of the sensor. Shooting in full sun will always give good results - the real test field for a camera is in low light environments.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to alfmar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I'm inclined to think likewise @alfmar does really...
I already have pretty much what I need on SFOS and cannot really imagine what plusses would paid apps bring to the platform.

The few bits and pieces missing I can fill up myself pretty neatly.
Paid apps won't necessarily bring new users to the platform, but they may entice continued development.

Being a part of this community for a while, I'm sure you have noticed many apps no longer being supported by their developers. No one "has the time" to update for changing APIs, or the like when it is just something they did for fun. Which I do not blame them for.

I pay a lot of money to use Spotify. If CuteSpot stops working because the developer no longer has the time for free labor, I am still paying $10 bucks a month for the service that I won't have access to. If people are paying for CuteSpot, the developer would have a reason to keep development active.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I already have pretty much what I need on SFOS and cannot really imagine what plusses would paid apps bring to the platform.
Really? How about...
  • A proper satnav solution. There are a few but none of them really good. Tile based, need cloud connection for both the maps and the routing, missing voice directions...
  • A semi-decent Office suite that can edit files, not just view.
  • Already mentioned clients to various services. The only one that I need is Skype but others may need Fakebook, Whatsit and a whole plethora of others.
  • Some very basic video editor. Nothing fancy, just a functionality to cut a video or stitch two videos together would be nice.
  • A decent calculator. There are about half a dozen on offer but all of them suck in one way or another.
  • One or two nice games. Colordots is OK-ish but Civilization is better.
  • Quite a lot of existing apps could do with a massive overhaul to fix stability issues and bring some much needed professional look to them.

And those are just a few I can think off the top of my head that I personally lack. OK, maybe "paid" is not the requirement (there are some reasonably good free alternatives on Android), but "professional" would be nice.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Really? How about...
  • A proper satnav solution. There are a few but none of them really good. Tile based, need cloud connection for both the maps and the routing
Have you tried using poor maps with OSMserver? IMO the two in combination are as good as OsmAnd (certainly faster at calculating long routes).

If you tried them ages ago and haven't tried them recently, give them another go! Loads of new features like re-routing and the OSMserver daemon just got a start on demand feature which makes the whole thing more user friendly.

Modrana can also use the OSMserver backend.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
...OSMserver backend.
And that's another problem with these hobbyist solutions. Too complicated. And I am a SW engineer by profession

(Read: Thanks, I will give it a try at some point.)

Anyway, sorry about the OT.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I've also added voice directions to Saera a while back, and actual maps will be coming in an upcoming release.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
And that's another problem with these hobbyist solutions. Too complicated. And I am a SW engineer by profession
Well, we're on Sailfish, which is not yet really ready for normal users anyway . Out of curiosity, did you try the NavIT port? It seems to have the features you describe, and even though you need to download maps manually, the planet extractor seems very easy to use.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sthocs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
A proper satnav solution.
What I really want is real time traffic. Taken into account with calculations is wonderful, but just colors on a map gives a lot of information on how to get there and away.
(Now I'm stuck with an old version of HERE, which drains the battery.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rob_kouw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Really? How about...
  • A proper satnav solution. There are a few but none of them really good. Tile based, need cloud connection for both the maps and the routing, missing voice directions...
I guess, I'll step into this discussion as well. Although, its OT and probably we should open a new thread regarding Maps/Navigation that will not be limited to a single application.

As mentioned earlier, Poor Maps and OSM Scout Server, at this moment, are covering many of these requirements and, in many aspects, are using state-of-the-art libraries for it. Now, in addition to offline mode, the specific points:

* voice directions: See implementation at https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...9&postcount=82 . Feedback, testing, bugfixing welcome. Note that here we are a bit against the huge lack of TTS in Linux in general, more specific comments on it at https://together.jolla.com/question/...post-id-165969

* Tile based: I am working on getting OpenGL based rendering ported. Large steps are done, just hit a bug on a way and, hopefully, will fix it soon (not soon^tm, but a proper meaning of this word).

You mention that Poor Maps/OSM Scout Server is very complicated. I would like to ask you to try again the latest version. When developing OSM Scout Server I approached the development using a principle 'release early release often'. Obviously, as a side effect, you get response later that the whole thing doesn't work or is too difficult . So, when compared to earlier releases of OSM Scout Server:
  • use the client to access maps; server to manage them. This is different to the approach in Android where you have single app for it all. However, it allows you to share the maps among all supported clients.
  • use of the server is transparent - you don't have to start it anymore
  • As with many other applications, use the defaults before you know what are you tinkering. Default settings are expected to give the best results. Exception for current OSM Scout Server - enable automatic activation (its the last feature that was not yet enabled by default)
  • We have a users guide to help you out, if needed

We still need to install multiple packages and probably should address it by creating a single RPM that just pulls all the components. Especially, when all the voice directions dependencies are coming in.

And those are just a few I can think off the top of my head that I personally lack. OK, maybe "paid" is not the requirement (there are some reasonably good free alternatives on Android), but "professional" would be nice.
You also mention that you are SW engineer. I would suggest to get out and make the difference. Only with the active participation of the users, can such small platform develop. I was annoyed by the absence of offline maps and (earlier) decent system monitor. So, instead of waiting for it to happen, I did my best to fill these gaps as well as I could on my spare time. There are always projects that you could join, help with the code, think through the design, write issues, documentation. As with the satnav, think what would you like to change and start suggesting. I am sure we'll all be happy to get constructive input into our projects.

Re real time traffic: that's available via modRana and Google Maps Traffic basemap. No calculations though, just the color

PS: Sorry for this long OT post.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
You also mention that you are SW engineer. I would suggest to get out and make the difference.
Yes, I know, and I used to when I had the time. I don't at the moment, being flat out between work, commuting to work and the family.

But even if I could, that would make just another hobbyist contribution. My call was for professional contributions. That does not mean software professionals giving their spare time, it means someone writing Sailfish applications exclusively as their primary job. Full time. For money.

Regarding your other points, thank you. I admit I have been out of touch for a while and did not follow all the latest advances. This is mostly because I no longer use Jolla as my main phone. I switched back to N900.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x