SOLVED. I was having a DNS problem. This finally occurred to me when I was also having trouble reaching certain web sites. I was able to see that it was looking to my home router for DNS. I could not figure out how to change that - but I have a back up 3G connection. I tried that and voila, I could download and install apps.

I have a home DLink router that seems to have a DNS issue with the n810 in some cases. This is something I'll have to deal with in the long run, but in the short run I've got the features I need for my trip.

Thanks for the help.

Now completely solved. The n810 was grabbing the home router IP as the DNS. I had to set it to not pick up the DNS automatically and point to a couple of public DNS servers. Now it is working fine. I have skype installed and it works. I can connect to web sites. I can install software. And I can go to bed and get some sleep before a long day of travel.

Yeah.

Originally Posted by katysax View Post
Now completely solved. The n810 was grabbing the home router IP as the DNS. I had to set it to not pick up the DNS automatically and point to a couple of public DNS servers. Now it is working fine. I have skype installed and it works. I can connect to web sites. I can install software. And I can go to bed and get some sleep before a long day of travel.

Yeah.
Great. Don't forget to bring for us something .

Originally Posted by ghassane View Post
Perhaps the distribution field is "empty". You have to add "chinook diablo" to all your repositories. They are installed empty by default, i think.
The distribution field being empty means that it defaults to whichever operating system you're using, diablo if you're on that, or chinook if you're on that.

As far as I know, you can't have both chinook and diablo in the distribution field, you can only pick one or the other.

Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
The distribution field being empty means that it defaults to whichever operating system you're using, diablo if you're on that, or chinook if you're on that.

As far as I know, you can't have both chinook and diablo in the distribution field, you can only pick one or the other.
Oh ok. Thanks. When i first updated mine to Diablo someone posted here that we should put chinook and diablo too in the same field. I did it and it works. I think because many chinook deb are working with Diablo and they are not listed in Diablo directory.

when things get hopeless after installation problems i reinstall os2008...
i had to do this once when canola would not install properly.

first back up all your personal data
then install os2008...
then install skype as the first application you add...