does the remote desktop work with a windows xp computer,
or only linux?

rdesktop is for WinXP (and other variants), VNCViewer is for linux, windows, mac (whatever) but is a bit slower in way of bandwidth. As people here are mainly opensource fans, at least in spirit if not always in action, vnc might have more focus.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Genoa, Italy
Originally Posted by gbuergisser View Post
what about vpn? Is there also a vpn client available for the n810?
What is vpn?
There are hundreds different kind of vpn out there, which one do you mean?
However I know for n8x0 are available openvpn and a cisco client for a protocol i never encountered (the most common one is not supported as far as I know) and maybe pptp.

I suggest you to search on this forum and on garage.maemo.org (at least).

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Where I work we use a Cisco vpn 3005, and the vpnc-gui works great.

vpnc-gui is installable via the application manager - just browse all and you will find it.

Hope this helps,

Steve

P.S. I installed the remote desktop tool, but it will not launch - starts to come up and then closes down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by BigTony View Post
I use a virtual keyboard on my PC for that. Click'n'Type is my favourite, still no right mouse click, but I can manage (just) without that.

http://www.lakefolks.org/cnt/

Hope that helps

BT
http://geekswithblogs.net/cenvy/arch.../18/50562.aspx

this says that ctrl+shift+f10 should give you the right click menu...

i added remote desktop to my n800.

now where to i get windows xp home software to
support the feature on my pc>?

Originally Posted by gbuergisser View Post
I'm also using rdesktop on my N810 and it works well enough. My only question is: How do I press function keys F1 to F10???
I just bought a N810 and the main reason for getting to connect to the net via a bluetooth phone and then to get on for remote desktop.

I found these instructions on how to setup remote desktop from Windows to Windows but how do I set it up using the N810 OS2008?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...moteintro.mspx

Having the settings saved on my computer is easy enough but what are the instructions on setting it up on the N810?

I have XP Pro at home that I am using DSL Verizon and I have a Linksys wireless router cloud that I use to connect at home with.

Can anyone help me set this up or point me in the right direction on how to set this up? Much thanks

Eric

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by shortymcshort View Post
...Can anyone help me set this up or point me in the right direction on how to set this up?...

Eric

1) you need to install rdesktop v.0.4 to N810, gronmayer.com/it/ search for rdesktop and install from the first choice.

2) test with another pc to check the username/password/ip address that are working
3) fire up rdesktop from N810 and input the username/password/ip you learned from 2)

post back if Q

bun

does anyone know where i can download the windows xp
rdesktop application?

i downloaded the n810 s/w already
thanks!

i found the source files to download for windows pc but not
the compiled version? where can i get exe file for rdesktop.
preferably in a zip file(not .tar)??