Active Topics

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
I don't know about ur front camera.. but mine when i turn on my camera it's so dark you can barely see urself...
i have used my one during video call on skype and its fantastic - automatically make the pic bright

Hi
Sorry to jump into your conversation like this but I also DO miss the front camera option.
I see many people here saying there is no need for an app for front camera because quality of picture taken by it would be so low. I disagree and think that kind of respond is quite ...well ...odd.
I went to a computer part shop and asked for a floppy disk once and they told me floppy disk could hold only 1.4MB of data so they did not put it out! The shop did have floppy drives though
I need the floppy disk because it is the cheapest and simplest way for me to install Windows XP on a raid volume.
The way they answered me indicates something: they are irresponsible and want to get rid of a customer who would not bring that big benefit to the shop; they know nothing about the product a customer ask; they try to cover up what they can't offer, well, to name a few.
Back to the front camera: With the old N95 I sometime took picture of my own being at work with the company cap on and send via MMS to my 5-year-old daughter via my wife's phone. The photos make my kid laugh and be happy. Sometimes I had to be several weeks away and the N95 keep me and my kid very close with video calls during which and could switch to front camera for the kid to see my face, or switch to main camera so the kid can see things around me.
Are you saying the front camera in N95 is better than that in N900?
Or are you trying to cover up that the people who make the symbian system in my old N95 is far smarter than those behind Maemo 5 in term of making use of the front camera?
Or are you just trying to get rid of people with suggestions you can't understand?
Please, this is a brainstorm thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to Duy2anh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
but you have the front camera option, you'll just have to use xterm for it but so what? if the option is too complicated to be used in real life is another story....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Thanks for those who understand and support my wish of using the front camera of our N900 for photography (not for video calls).

Unfortunately, it seems no one is yet interested in writing an app for it.

I bought a Symbian3 N8 for my wife this month. Its front camera for self-picturing works fine for us. In our vacation next month, we'll capture some memorable moments with her N8 without bothering people to hold camera for us.

I heard people's comment that the interface of Symbian is not as lively as Maemo or Android, I agree. However, Symbian3 wins this round.

TC

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timothy CHAN For This Useful Post:
a front faxing camera app so you can hold your camera up in front of you and take a photo?

so a VGA photo, or a simple turning around of the camera and performing the same action you would only backwards on a 5mp lens....

I think not-enough-attention having been made for the built-in camera app in Maemo5. Those app's programmers have every access to the N900 hardware, kernel, or drivers or whatever, and financial supports to make things work properly. They should rework the application harder.
I reflash to PR1.3 and now everytime I slide the lense cover, my music paused. The music flicked and continued to play in PR1.2 but now you have to close the lense or turn off the camera app first. It may be some bug from the media player daemon anyway but ...
Some apps for the front camera capturing will pop up in extra-dev sooner or later but come on Nokia, it's your hardware, make it work first before having the job done by other people you dont pay for.

The Following User Says Thank You to Duy2anh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 220 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
did you guys ever tried skype videocall?
the point is:
no one will do this because the front cam is really crappy.
its useless to take time to develop a app that produces pointless crappy wannabe pics.
sorry guys but the truth is hard
I used the N900 over wifi for all my Skype calls back to my family whilst travelling and had no problems with the front camera. You need to realise it's a much lower resolution camera than the 5Mp primary unit, and will never be able to produce images of similar quality.

Originally Posted by Duy2anh View Post
=Some apps for the front camera capturing will pop up in extra-dev sooner or later but come on Nokia, it's your hardware, make it work first before having the job done by other people you dont pay for.
Err they did. They have the front camera used in GTalk and Skype video calls since PR 1.2. I don't think using it to take pictures was their intention hence they didn't put it in.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by kev View Post
To change the brightness and contrast of front camera

gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video1 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! videobalance brightness=0.5 contrast=1.2 ! autovideosink

The "brightness" property

Allowed values: [-1,1] Default value: 0

The "contrast" property

Allowed values: [0,2] Default value: 1
Hum, when I try this, I get
WARNING: erroneous pipeline: no element "videobalance"
Which gst plugin do I need to get this videobalance pipeline available?

my front camera was not that bad before the recent update, at least i can still see myself with the mirror app. After the recent update, it's so dark with a tint of blueness......

Tags
front camera