Using Privoxy, I successfully changed the User Agent on my N800 browser to be exactly same as the iPhone browser but the problem still existed on both CNN and WSJ websites.

This makes me believe that iPhone scrolling treats finger scroll as a different form of input than onMouseClick or onMouseDown.

But on N800/N810, there probably is no distinction between scroll touch vs click touch due to the lack of multi touch.

I know that N800 can read fat-finger touch because it displays big menus on fat finger touch so maybe this can be added to the browser as a form of scroll input and not be treated as onMouseClick or onMouseDown.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
IMO MicroB will just have to look for movement (beyond some threshold) after a mousedown event and then determine if this should be a call for scrolling or used as part of a javascript event.

Mousedown capability is important though, you run into all the time on sites with JS. (Pulldown menus as one common example.)

There are other problems with MicroB, but it's exciting that there will now be an "open" chance to improve the browser.

My top two issues are:

1) MicroB doesn't always know when to bring up the onscreen keyboard, *especially* on layers that are made visible. For example touch on "search" on this forum, the search form will appear, but it's non-functional.

2) Form submit buttons and select elements do not respect CSS color styling. (Oddly they will take background images though) Rather they end up using a combination of theme colors and some default settings. For most people the result is just white/black buttons everywhere, so it's not deadly. But it's a personal issue for me as the intranet app I've developed uses a lot of button color coding for quick identification. There is a bugzilla report on this one I know. Just hope someone is working on it. Wish I knew enough.

Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post

1) MicroB doesn't always know when to bring up the onscreen keyboard, *especially* on layers that are made visible. For example touch on "search" on this forum, the search form will appear, but it's non-functional.
I agree with the first part but with the second part, all you have to do is hit the center button to bring up the thumbpad and type away.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by basco View Post
I agree with the first part but with the second part, all you have to do is hit the center button to bring up the thumbpad and type away.
Nice, thanks!