I've just installed the new 2007HE, reinstalled my apps, Flash 9, and all seems to be well.

jeez this mornin I spent 1 hour installing 2007HE on flash & mmc with all the apps and now I find out we have a new one

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Newport Beach, CA
Is the default really using the Mozilla engine? I checked the User Agent for the browser against a couple of web sites and it identified itself as Opera...

Going to http://grammer.net/mobile/

The browser is ID'ed as:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MISE 6.0; Linux armv5tejl; U) Opera 8.02 [en_US] Tablet browser 0.0.14 RX-34_2007SE_4.2007.26-8

Only a couple of little drop outs/no internet connection warnings but a relaunch of the browser took care of it.

BTW, how does one toggle between the two browser engines?

Thanks for your efforts to keep the old 770 going,

Dave

Wow, this is a great release!

Installation went smoothly. Microb uses the gecko engine by default (checked the browser headers on a browser sniffer site). I installed seatbelt immediately (along with X Terminal and becomeroot) and ran seatbelt by hand from /etc/init.d to avoid having to reboot. So far, I haven't had a single browser crash (or OS crash for that matter).

All Google apps work perfectly: Gmail, Google maps, Google Documents (only tried the wordprocessor), Google calendar.

It's amazing to see the progress this little piece of hardware is making. It has now finally achieved the level of usefulness and stability I had hoped for when I bought it!

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Just a question for Fanoush if he reads this - will there be a multiblock writes version of this kernel with the corruption bugfix?

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
The browser runs a little slower, and much to my chagrin, there is no input.ini so I can change the directional pad options. Other than that, I'm glad there is progress on this project.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
MicroB is slow, but Opera seems a bit faster - maybe that is just because you do get some feedback when loading pages (Loading...).

BrowserHawk.com identifies the browsers as Opera 8.02 and FireFox 3.0a1.

BrowserHawk detailed info (more link) either blows up (poof! gone) or renders slowly and badly in MicroB. It behaves well for Opera.

I thought that FireFox 3.0 was not due out for some time?

MicroB is so slow on some pages that I thought my Tablet had frozen, so frozen that it would not turn off. I was just about to pop the battery when it came back to life.

There does not seem to be any Flash in this release at all.

MicroB is a bit better than before, but I don't think it is too useable yet.

I have been trying the new os2007 HE on my 770, and I've found that it quite often becomes completely unresponsive, for about a minute, which leads programs to crash, and eventually, it will just reset itself. I'll go back to the previous HE, I guess, as I don't know how to do any intelligent debugging for this type of thing.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Internettablettalk is unusable with this version. I have tried both MicroB and Opera (with/without Flash 9) and it just pegs the cpu for minutes at a time.

I don't think I have had a real crash yet, but it is so slow at times that you can't tell the difference.

I wish that Nokia would fix the memory corruption bug in a patch release of OS2006.

If Fanoush is reading this, is there any possibility that you will be able to retrofit the memory corruption bug fix from OS2007HE into the standard OS2006?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by dont View Post
If Fanoush is reading this, is there any possibility that you will be able to retrofit the memory corruption bug fix from OS2007HE into the standard OS2006?
Yes, thanks to my time machine and your post I already did it before you asked
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=11824

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post: