Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
I had my N900 replaced because the screen stopped working. Before that happened though, it was rock solid. Nokia sent me a replacement and it was rebooting constantly. Flashing didn't do anything. I just sent it back to Nokia for another replacement. I honestly think after reading the bugzilla report that its a hardware problem and nothing to do with software.

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Norwich
Originally Posted by phi View Post
I had my N900 replaced because the screen stopped working. Before that happened though, it was rock solid. Nokia sent me a replacement and it was rebooting constantly. Flashing didn't do anything. I just sent it back to Nokia for another replacement. I honestly think after reading the bugzilla report that its a hardware problem and nothing to do with software.
im inclined to agree, i think the very fact the most users are not getting the reboots and reflashing does not help indicates a hardware issue be it bad ram, cpu or main board but not software. if it was software surely all devices would be affected, not just some 25%

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
To sum up the whole novel of Bugzilla thread:

Most of the devices with random reboots have a hardware issue. It's not broken hardware, but the power saving timing tolerance thresholds of the OMAP3 CPU are too wide to handle for recent Linux kernels.

There are two devices out there with OMAP3 and recent Linux kernel, the N900 and the Droid. Both have the same reboot issues.

Now that Nokia identified the bug, they have a fix for the kernel and it will most likely be in the next FW upgrade, since this is a critical issue.
No idea, what the Droid will do, though.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
If its not broken hardware, why aren't ALL N900's plagued with this reboot?

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
I have no random reboots. Actually, I like my N900 and believe in it's future and thanks Nokia to be first on open source phone market.

However -

Nokia keep silence about plan what to do with this problem - I don't count on Nokia employees who leaks us some encouraging info that it can be fixed in software/FW update. Moreover - no announcement WHEN the new firmware would fix it (and no clue from employees too) and you don't know how long you can wait it. Without that your device is close to useless.

So - exchange N900.

This would push Nokia to more responsible customer-relations. I understand if Nokia keeps silence about any future enhancements or what ether but they sold you an expensive device and should be responsible for it's work as-is (no reboots, no breaks).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
I had random reboots and the phone was messed up from everywhere else also. Got new one and no random reboots and no crashes

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
if its not fixed with the f/w upgrade . we will still bed able to send the units in for replacement.. i would not advise anyone to buy one abroad.

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
I have no random reboots. Actually, I like my N900 and believe in it's future and thanks Nokia to be first on open source phone market.

However -

Nokia keep silence about plan what to do with this problem - I don't count on Nokia employees who leaks us some encouraging info that it can be fixed in software/FW update. Moreover - no announcement WHEN the new firmware would fix it (and no clue from employees too) and you don't know how long you can wait it. Without that your device is close to useless.

So - exchange N900.

This would push Nokia to more responsible customer-relations. I understand if Nokia keeps silence about any future enhancements or what ether but they sold you an expensive device and should be responsible for it's work as-is (no reboots, no breaks).
Stop spreading nonsense. My N900 is one of the rebooting ones, but the work around makes it equally usable as any other N900. My battery lasts a bit shorter, but that is all, it still last for 2 days with normal use. Nokia have a fix, and it is no magic or secret silence or anything, just programmers doing their jobs.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
bsving is right, but i wouldnt go as far as to say i get 2 days from a full charge- i am lucky to get 9 hours from heavy use

Random reboots are normal, right?
What do you mean? Normal as in within some arbitrary percentage of a normal distribution or as in socially accepted as a "norm"?

;-)