Notices

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
(snip bat ideas)
I will keep the remainder including the excelent FOSS and privacy conscious gadgetbridge app of of the f-Droid app repository.
https://github.com/Freeyourgadget/Gadgetbridge/wiki
I have been using gadgetbridge to upload apps and do firmware update on the Pebble, this wiki also informs how to get the .pbw files and firmware files and then run them through gadgetbridge.

Secondly, Proprog

If you are still taking requests I would love to be able to scrape out info from the following programs once I can pair it!!!!

*hxmtracker so I can read my Heart Rate Monitor while on the exercise cycle or grunting up big hills this is FOSS
*some sort of bicycle computer feed to get both heart-rate and GPS speed odometer maybe incline too
*Network bridge(with privacy switch in conf file) so some of the Pebble apps can work even better to selectivly firewall but that might be overkill(oy just got my first app trying to force a payment but failing as gadgetbridge blocks network)
*read/display from a file or several files, so that in the future I can have a script or program just write something to a file and it will flash up on the Pebble every few minutes or when it changes
*GPS some Pebble apps need GPS to run, but what I would really love is a way to utilize the gyro and compass to enable essentially either turn by turn connection to a driving program or just turn the Pebble into a compass pointing towards the destination. See Pebble app Compass for a great demo

I would even poke into the code despite my being mostly less than a script kiddie. Have you done any pebble apps?

Last edited by biketool; 2017-09-03 at 18:48.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
while i don't have a pebble, i can say pairing is a completely separate thing from using the bluetooth link with, e.g. maebble.

i do not know if you tried pairing with simple-agent yet and what results you got ...

The Following User Says Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
SImple-agent for pairing, when done correctly (xx subs out MAC address)
Code:
simple-agent hci0 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Simple-agent vs Maemo5 BT settings did not produce any noticeable changes in the usability of the pairing, I edited my post above to reflect success in running though vs crashing simple-agent. https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...1&postcount=46
(edit)cleaned up my earlier posts for brevity or off topic w/o removing anything useful and removed some redundant/repeat posts.

Last edited by biketool; 2017-09-03 at 16:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
HOT DAMN!!!!!!
I was about tho throw the pebble into a desk for the night.
But I checked the cfg file in leafpad and there was a doubled up :: in the MAC again, fixed that reren pebbled and BLAM connected!!
Now, while I see data in the log passing by listing music playing the music player control is NOT working nor reporting on the pebble, trying some test emails.
But the link is up!!
more stuff to figure out.
(removing long distracting posts of me following cold trail)

(edit)
!!I can futz with the media player volume!!
other media controls throw this error
Code:
TIME
_send_message
response
size 1
endpoint 32
event 4
media_next
sh: can't create /tmp/oscp-user/oscp.slave: nonexistent directory
media_status
_send_message
MUSIC_CONTROL
(edit)
So
Code:
chmod 777 -R  /tmp/oscp-user/
might let the OSCP-user command go through but I do not think it changed the track at all, there was twice where maybe, and the song/track is not displayed on the Pebble.

But big thankst to Proprog we have something very cool, just be sure if you are having problems that
1-the Pebble pairs in a way that is unusual
2-Be 100% sure of the MAC address and put Maebble.cfg in /home/user/.config/maebble/
3-try to re-download the actual python files, they might have been corrupted in download, unzip, re-transmit, during a bad shutdown, or when I was moving them around.
4-re-read the thread
5-The Pebble and N900 are only really connected when the daemon(maebbled) is running

There is more to do and I thank Proprog all the patience as I was wasting time chasing nonexistant problems.

(edit) Even though fitbit bought Pebble's partly closed source assets, there is now Rebble a FOSS firmware project in the works for those of us who care about that stuff, looks like there might be geeks at Fitbit who do as they have released some methods of bypassing the old Pebble app store.
https://rebble.io/

Last edited by biketool; 2017-09-03 at 20:03.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
I got some help from proprog
so here is my .cfg be sure to check that use_oscp = False
Code:
[btservice]
address = 00:17:E9:AF:XX:XX
process_sleep = 0.25
connect_sleep = 30
time_sleep = 4
[media]
use_oscp = False
I can now 100% control media from the pebble, I can also see the information from the first song from when I start maebbled

I also get no SMS notification but here is the relevant output form maebbled.py --print_maemo
SMS not-receive
Code:
_send_message
timeout: update time
_send_message
TIME
_send_message
sms from andy handy
New sms received
Incoming SMS uses GSM-7 alphabet
Sms from: +12345676543
Sms content: Test4
sms message is Test4
notification_sms
andy handy
Test4
response
size 30
endpoint 49
no notifications at all actually

here is a few songs which work but no notification except the song queued/playing when I start mabbled
Code:
response
size 1
endpoint 17
_phone_version_response
_send_message
PHONE_VERSION
_send_message
response
size 30
endpoint 49
response
size 153
endpoint 16
_version_response
{'hw_version': 'V3R2', 'recovery_fw': {'timestamp': 1449278569, 'hardware_platform': 5, 'commit': 'd240e93', 'version': 'v3.8-prf9', 'metadata_ver': 1, 'is_recovery': 1}, 'normal_fw': {'timestamp': 1479505803, 'hardware_platform': 5, 'commit': '4c13672', 'version': 'v3.12.3', 'metadata_ver': 1, 'is_recovery': 0}, 'bootloader_timestamp': 1447134832, 'btmac': '00:17:E9:AF:XX:XX', 'serial': 'Q222222E01CZ'}
v3.12.3
response
size 1
endpoint 32
event 8
media_status
Tunes
Guardians of the Galaxy - Awesome Mix Vol.1
07. Jackson 5 - I Want You Back.mp3
_send_message
MUSIC_CONTROL
_send_message
response
size 2
endpoint 18
response
size 30
endpoint 49
response
size 30
endpoint 49
response
size 30
endpoint 49
response
size 30
endpoint 49
response
size 1
endpoint 32
event 1
media_playpause
media_status
Tunes
Guardians of the Galaxy - Awesome Mix Vol.1
07. Jackson 5 - I Want You Back.mp3
response
size 1
endpoint 32
event 4
media_next
dbus_media 1002, localtagfs::music/songs/%2Fhome%2Fuser%2FMyDocs%2FcuteTube2%2FThe%20Church%20-Under%20The%20Milky%20Way.m4a
MyDocs
cuteTube2
The Church -Under The Milky Way.m4a
timeout: update time
_send_message
TIME
_send_message
response
size 1
endpoint 32
event 4
media_next
dbus_media 622, localtagfs::music/songs/%2Fmedia%2Fmmc1%2FTunes%2FNew%20Wave%2080%27s%20-%20Wall%20of%20Voodoo%20-%20Mexican%20Radio.mp3
mmc1
Tunes
New Wave 80%27s - Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio.mp3
response
size 1
endpoint 32
event 1
media_playpause
media_status
mmc1
Tunes
New Wave 80%27s - Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio.mp3
^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "maebbled.py", line 1064, in <module>
    loop.run()
KeyboardInterrupt
and this is what email looked like

Code:
dbus_email
YahooID1_store
inbox
get_email_updated
YahooID1
could not read email config file
!! Traceback (most recent call last):
!!   File "maebbled.py", line 737, in get_email_updated
    email_updated = int(cfg.get('updated', account))
!!   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/ConfigParser.py", line 511, in get
    raise NoSectionError(section)
!! NoSectionError: No section: 'updated'

dbus_email
Mail for ExchangeID_store
inbox
response
size 1
endpoint 32
event 4
media_next
throws error
"could not read email config file"
in maebble.py line 733
cfg.readfp(open(r'/home/user/.config/maebble/maebble_email.cfg'))
so I need to figure what to put in that

proprog is getting text information to his N900, is anyone else?

Last edited by biketool; 2017-09-04 at 17:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Did testing of some updates from proprog

This is the result of MY testing, this is personal experience only

what works?(everythin that is supposed to for now)
*SMS(in fonts which Pebble can read)
*incoming call
*music control(pause/play, skip fwd/bk)
*music song playing(mostly automatic, you can click the middle button if it didn't update)
*time update

what not?(not designed in)
*GPS
*network bridging
*uploading and managing apps on watch
*other special app services

To make life easier now that I can use this as part of everyday kit I made a launcher for my desktop and a launch script named it pebble and placed it here /home/user/.local/share/applications/hildon/pebble.desktop

I use the icon from Openwatch
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=pebble
Icon=/opt/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/hildon/openwatch.png
Exec=/usr/bin/pebble
Type=Application
and a script to run maebbled, I had to have it cd into the maebble dir because the new python script looks for the .cfg file in the directory it is executed from.
Code:
#! /bin/sh
cd /home/user/MyDocs/maebble/
python /home/user/MyDocs/Maebble/maebbled.py
fi
Turn on the Pebble's BT and click the launcher, now with a service behind it the Pebble pairs and is manageable from the BT manager and will keep looking for your pebble and repair until you kill pebbled or reboot.

(edit)
I like to wear a mechanical dive watch as it will always be easier to read than the Pebble and looks OK if I have to throw on a white shirt & tie, also no worry about battery especially if Pebble is BT leashed. This is no thin fitbit, anyone have a creative way to wear both without looking like a total tool? Right now I wear the Pebble with the watchface against my inner forearm and the screen displaying the mostly blacked-out TinyHands watchface and the dive watch out so I can see it for time and flip my wrist to see SMS or control music when cycling or working and I can feel the vibes. Pretty much I can stick the pebble in my posket but I want to have the dive watch with me anyways as my actual watch.

Last edited by biketool; 2017-09-07 at 17:12.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
I updated the semi-automation for maebble so it is even easier to start from the desktop as well as launching in a terminal with diagnostic information which you can close to easily kill the daemon. Also pops up a banner to tell you the daemon launcher script has started.
Eventually once this is stable I hope to figure out more dbus for the launcher so it gets a cute notification area paired bx with a disconnect button and maybe a daemon launcher which launches maebbled when the Pebble pairs.

this is an updated /usr/bin/pebble don't forget to make it executable
Code:
#! /bin/sh +x
cd /home/user/MyDocs/maebble/
dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.freedesktop.Notifications /org/freedesktop/Notifications org.freedesktop.Notifications.SystemNoteInfoprint string:"Starting Maebble Daemon w/Diagnostics ON for Pebble Watch"
osso-xterm -e "python /home/user/MyDocs/Maebble/maebbled.py --print_maemo"
fi

Last edited by biketool; 2017-09-11 at 11:47.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick question... Is it possible for maebbled to update firmware on Pebble (Time) watch? Because I can see that maebbled detects recovery fw on my Pebble Time snowy watch, but I do not see how to flash firmware onto the watch.

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

I think Proprog is just slowly porting over the whole feature set form libpebble including uploading firmwares and watch apps.
https://github.com/Hexxeh/libpebble

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Both functions are available in libpebble and it shouldn't be that much work to add them to maebble.

I have it on my todo list but other work is taking all my time at the moment. Hopefully I get some time to work on it the coming week.

And with some luck maybe I can get my pebble time to work again if I can update the firmware manually.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to proprog For This Useful Post:

Tags
pebble time, smart watch