If you un-jailbreak your iPhone you get your warranty back, at least that's what some guy told me

@parody I think it's more like if they can't tell that you have jail broken your phone in the past, then they can't revoke your warranty.

From memory, there is a quick way to un-jailbreak, and a proper way. The quick way will leave some residual files around that the Apple bods could see and use to prove that the phone was once jailbroken. The proper way basically involves nuking the phone back to factory defaults, and starting again.

(I'm not sure if this applies if you have mucked around with the firmware in the modem to move it onto another provider).

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think there's a good chance that if you sync your jailbroken iphone, it may phone home and flag that device on Apple's database.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I think there's a good chance that if you sync your jailbroken iphone, it may phone home and flag that device on Apple's database.
My thoughts exactly.

The Killswitch isn't exactly a big red panic button on the back of the iPhones.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Mr Jobs! Mr Jobs! He's touching my software again! :O

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

you probably dont even have to sync, dont the iphones phone home every night anyway?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
you probably dont even have to sync, dont the iphones phone home every night anyway?
I think so. But I think that can be circumvented with those 'firewall' apps...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Yup, Apple responded with exactly that ...

http://www.cultofmac.com/apples-offi...warranty/52463
Regarding the disclaimer from Apple's PR department, I also believe this is the right thing to do: put a big sign "DANGER" on the door, but leave it unlocked. Those who cannot stand the heat should stay out of the kitchen...

Arguably, the ones who may be most affected are the likes of Google who rely on add support for their revenue. I wonder if the new legislation gives advantage to companies who, like Nokia, have chosen a more open development.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post: