Posts: 25 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Philadelphia, PA
I know there have been several posts related to this, and it appears as if some of you have been able to get this to work.

I have followed the suggestions, but still it does not work.

What happens (in all cases, the default, try as sprint, CDMA network etc ...) is that it dials, I get transmission info on the phone, but it disconnects, tries calling 3 times, and then N800 gives up.

My phone supports BT DUN, and I have verified this. I have the default voice plan + $15 for EVDO/Mobile Web. Do I need the $45 data plan for this to work ?

If anyone has been able to connect via BT DUN, I would appreciate instructions.

thanks.

what model phone?

can you get your phone hooked up to a regular computer and dial out using DUN and a cable or bluetooth?

I got it working with my Verizon LG8300-both on the PC and with my N800. I had to hack a setting on the phone though using Bitpim.

could not get my Verizon Blackberry 7250 to work with my PC though. Might be an account setting but I don;t know how they can differentiate. plus the Blackberry pairs with the N800 but DUN doesn;t show up as a feature.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
I couldn't get it to work without both the expensive data plan AND the tethering plan. Both were required for the N800 (over Bluetooth DUN) to authenticate on the internet.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Philadelphia, PA
I have the LG VX8100. I havent been able to connect using my Linux laptop either. I will try and get hold of a windows machine and try to connect using the software that Verizon provides.

madman, What settings did you have to change using bitpim ?

You need to get the full data plan plus BT tethering. If you are able to get tethering working with your cheap mobile web plan, you could have your service cut off if you get caught. The details, again - with the proper data plans, are as follows:

Dial-up number: #777
User name: <your phone number>@vzw3g.com
Pass: <blank>

Those details are only for use if your device didn't set up the account automatically, which it should do. You should check to see if your phone supports BT DUN.

This works on my n800, my 770, and my openSuSE powered laptop, with my razr from verizon.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Actually with the tethering plan, I was able to connect with the username/password blank. It authenticated me based on my dial-in device.

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Northwoods of Wisconsin
Can you do a seem edit (for a Motorola phone) to make is work on Verizon's network? (I really don't know, but I thought I have read that its possible)
Alltel Wireless

with motorola phones, i heard you have to downgrade your firmware to allow you to use DUN.

I don;t have a data plan. it just uses minutes although the calls show up as data calls on my bill. it could violate your TOS but thus far, no one has ever gotten charged as long as you don;t abuse it.

the instructions are here for LG phones

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=938352

could not get my blackberry 7250 connected though.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ san jose, california
Originally Posted by madman999 View Post
with motorola phones, i heard you have to downgrade your firmware to allow you to use DUN.

I don;t have a data plan. it just uses minutes although the calls show up as data calls on my bill. it could violate your TOS but thus far, no one has ever gotten charged as long as you don;t abuse it.

the instructions are here for LG phones

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=938352

could not get my blackberry 7250 connected though.
I too am able to use EVDO (no data plan - just burn min.) via bluetooth with my moto RAZR Ve Maxx phone. Now, it's a little technical to make it happen, but a lot of searching led me to a howto at:

http://mark.cdmaforums.com/NonMoto1.htm

give that a read - should put you in the right direction

good luck!
-matt

Last edited by m_sparks; 2007-08-04 at 04:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to m_sparks For This Useful Post: