Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
planning to do a rebuild in a couple of days, I notice some people want CONFIG_MODULES enabled, BTRFS and TRIM support. Think I'll bundle them in, anything else people fancy?
Just curious, can I run your up-to-date community build and still install XT9 from the Jolla store from my official purchase? I don't install the Android support, because - personally - I consider it device poison.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Has the community done any progress on it or is it just me who has XZs?

If i wipe android I need bankid/swish so I need Dalvik too so community edition is probably not enouoght but would be nice to know if anyone has tried SFOS on XZs?

My second option is to buy a X also and install official SFOS so I can use Bankid. Then try to be more active in the community and help, if I can in some way, port SFOS to XZs and hope Jolla will help us with the closed bits such as Dalvik. I don't have a clue how big this task is and how much can be "reused" from X. I only know the camera/kernel is different but...
@mikecomputing, would be great to have active and contributing members in the community. I don't think we are in position where we should just sit and wait for SFOS to get better without us - it wouldn't. So, good to hear of your wish to step up and make the difference.

I wonder whether Bankid is open sourced or proprietary bit. In Estonia, most of the ID software is open sourced, with the exception of a newer version that is heavily promoted these days. Unfortunately, company behind it refused to port it to SFOS (I do wonder why?). Maybe you have better luck with the Bankid?

As for Jolla helping with porting Dalvik to XZ - I don't think it will happen, unless something majorly changes in their business model. It looks to be major (read expensive) effort to do so. Do you know whether Bankid works on Dalvik? With XZ, you may have better luck with supporting anbox. I presume XZ would have more or less recent kernel and that's required to tun it. So, it maybe cheaper and more constructive to get a cheap android phone for bankid and push for XZ port together with the anbox development.

Originally Posted by deprecated View Post
Just curious, can I run your up-to-date community build and still install XT9 from the Jolla store from my official purchase? I don't install the Android support, because - personally - I consider it device poison.
No idea whether its allowed, but its a fair question. Its just insane that we have to use proprietary bits for text prediction. When (if) I get off the navigation software development, I would be happy to help anyone to get this piece of SFOS replaced with some open-sourced solution. Just would prefer to finish what I started before first. Any takers for developing text prediction for SFOS so we can drop XT9?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pullrequest View Post
NFS support would be nice too.
It's already there. check /dev/pn54x

The Following User Says Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Any takers for developing text prediction for SFOS so we can drop XT9?
That sounds like my kind of project (no UI to worry about) but I've never used QML and am struggling to think how prediction works. Do you suggest the alphabetically next matching word that's slightly longer or a much longer word to save more typing less often? I guess there's a big dictionary behind it for each language, but they are full of words few will ever use on a phone...

As a Colemack user on my Sailfish devices I would want different corrections to a qwerty user too, assuming spellcheck and prediction are both part of the same thing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
That sounds like my kind of project (no UI to worry about) but I've never used QML and am struggling to think how prediction works. Do you suggest the alphabetically next matching word that's slightly longer or a much longer word to save more typing less often? I guess there's a big dictionary behind it for each language, but they are full of words few will ever use on a phone...

As a Colemack user on my Sailfish devices I would want different corrections to a qwerty user too, assuming spellcheck and prediction are both part of the same thing.
My guess is that there is a dictionary of words, ordered lexicographically and by the frequency of use (based on some researched values at first), which will be updated each time the user types that word. (this being overly simplified of course)

EDIT: There does seem to be some open source libraries around this being one I'm not sure why Jolla didn't just use one them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Looks like http://openadaptxt.sourceforge.net/ is not actively developed, though.

I would suggest to look into Ubuntu Touch solution. They had predictive text input and, as far as I understand, use the same keyboard stack as SFOS. There was someone who was looking into it earlier, but I don't remember the name, unfortunately.

We had some discussion on it in this thread (pages 54,55,56,57 - between other messages). OKboard was suggested and it may have some text prediction in it already

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
We had some discussion on it in this thread (pages 54,55,56,57 - between other messages). OKboard was suggested and it may have some text prediction in it already
Thanks, I'll have a read tonight. This thread is only on page 27 for me though - what post number does the discussion start at?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
Thanks, I'll have a read tonight. This thread is only on page 27 for me though - what post number does the discussion start at?
My mistake - it was the (official) one : https://talk.maemo.orghttps://talk.m...=99017&page=54

I would suggest to read also on the keyboard stack and what's used by Ubuntu. In the official thread we finished discussion early, as far as I could see, declaring it OT

The Following User Says Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
From the quick search:

Looks like Ubuntu source code is at https://github.com/ubports/keyboard-component

and it seems to use http://presage.sourceforge.net/

The Following User Says Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Looks like http://openadaptxt.sourceforge.net/ is not actively developed, though.
I just gave that one as an example of many open source alternatives, I didn't suggest of using it.

Speaking of Ubuntu touch though, they use aethercast for casting stuff from phone to TV's etc. Why aren't we using it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post: