Active Topics

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Nokia Eyeing Windows Phone For US Comeback

Reports suggest that Nokia's new CEO has been given the power to change the company's OS strategy, and is already considering Microsoft's Windows Phone platform.

According to sources cited by VentureBeat as "familiar with these matters," Nokia is likely to add Windows Phone 7 to its list of supported platforms. Even more important than that, Nokia's new CEO, Stephen Elop, has been granted the authority to make sweeping changes by Nokia's board of directors, including decisions about its operating system strategy. Just how likely is this?

Source: InformationWeek.com

I don't know about this, but I feel these are some serious speculations going on here. Maybe even speculations with some financial motives behind (producing buzz in order to apply pressure on Nokia's new CEO to introduce a new operation system on Nokia phones).

Fishy...

It sounds like a wet dream being experienced by US analysts who can't see anything but Google, Microsoft, and Apple. I'm sure Microsoft would love it if Nokia ceded all control over services delivered to their customers, but I suspect Nokia wouldn't.

WP7 is simply wanna-be-Apple garbage, with MS showing what its fetish for DRM looks like when given a shiny exterior.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
If that's love, it's the S&M kind...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aikon800 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
not going to happen, do you think some one who as been in the job 3 days can change a whole stratedgy without even taking his ideas to the board of directors? the answer is no
i think the tech site writers need to get educations before trying to be journalists

engadget are spot on with this rumour and i'm starting to like there impartiality recently with less biased stuff and less hate towards nokia

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
For once (well, its not that common anyway) Engadget are spot-on about this matter.

There's no logic behind introducing a Nokia phone with WP7, when Nokia has a crystal clear operation systems hierarchy, with Symbian^3 and 4 on the low to mid ranges, and MeeGo on the high range.

There's no place there for a WP7-based smartphone - simple as that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post:
Damn you people even quoting these!
I'll just quote the post i made in MR forums about this same topic.

Android, WP7, IOS(!) wont be seeing light of day inside Nokia phones for over 2 years no matter what.
Really, Nokia have made agreements with likes of Qualcomm, TI, Broadcom etc. to make chips for Symbian and MeeGo 2 years ago that we will just start seeing.
New qt based services meant for MeeGo and S^4 must be nearing the end, Nokia have hired and still is hiring people to work around Symbian, Qt and MeeGo, plus lots of b2b agreements we have no idea about made behind the closed doors.

You never know how will things look in 2 years time and what if WP7 would actually make sense then so i wont say this all wouldn't ever happen, but for now there's no way imo.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
The video of wp7 compared with iphone4 showed something new and funny.

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Chicago
I want to see Nokia succeed and I fear they've waited too long. So the next updatea are going to have to knock my pants and socks off. I love the idea of democritizing the mobile phone (device!) so I will support them so long as I can.

I like my Nokia phones becuase they are not a Microsoft OS. If they make that kind of decision I will be very disappointed. If they want innovation they don't want a Microsoft OS.

The Following User Says Thank You to rootytooty For This Useful Post:

Tags
just shoot me, masochistic