Posts: 388 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Can someone explain why the N900 image size is so small? I mean, a photo I just took only came out to be 700kb. Compared to what I'm used to seeing for a digital camera, or even my last phone, this is rather... small.

Kieron

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Digi cams usually store in raw format. Most mobiles will convert that raw to the best quality jpeg/jpg it could muster given the programming requirements.

By rule and format, jpg is a great deal smaller than raw. Unless you are planning to use your N900's images for something other than11x17 posterboards, then the size shoudln't matter

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
There's some interesting disussion on this in this thread. In short, the JPEG compression is set fairly high, and it appears that the noise reduction may be stripping a lot of detail so turning it down doesn't seem to help much.

The Following User Says Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Just looks a little grainy(er) or something - i dont know, hard to explain. Thought it might be related. Looks pretty good though, for a phone:

taken on my desk a few minutes ago of a buzz i have lying around!

Last edited by Kieron; 2009-12-13 at 18:47.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
That pic is still very good. Quality is like the N95. Typical 5MegaPixel Camera

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New Zealand
Is there a way to output RAW directly without automatic conversion to JPEG? Might be useful if one wanted to compress it with PNG, for example.

The Following User Says Thank You to Carl Ed For This Useful Post:
Have you ever wondered as to why your dedicated digital camera has such crappy cell phone reception?

Look, the N900 is a "do it all" device. As such, it will never exceed at one thing. It will, however, do everything it's designed to do, well.

As such, you can't expect 54Mb/s WiFi speeds, full sized 101key keyboard, 34" display, or a camera that will outshine a dedicated 5MP digital camera. It takes decent pictures, but don't expect a cell phone to replace DSLR quality anytime soon.

image is highly compressed - so you wont notice the bad quality of the sensor....

:-)

No sorry - but most cheap 5 mpix pocket cams takes far better pictures. So lets vote for a less degrading jpg format - or at least a choice between 2-3 different jpg compressions (ok, fine and superfine?)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kaz911 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Have you ever wondered as to why your dedicated digital camera has such crappy cell phone reception?

Look, the N900 is a "do it all" device. As such, it will never exceed at one thing. It will, however, do everything it's designed to do, well.

As such, you can't expect 54Mb/s WiFi speeds, full sized 101key keyboard, 34" display, or a camera that will outshine a dedicated 5MP digital camera. It takes decent pictures, but don't expect a cell phone to replace DSLR quality anytime soon.
haha - the 5mpix does not even come close to most 5mpix pocket cams which is is meant to compete with. My Fuji 6mpix FD31 blasts the N900 camera out of the way in picture quality. My wifes old Panasonic 5 mpix - takes far better pictures. (3,5 years old)

I would rather have a 2 or 3 mpix in better quality than the junk sensors they put in now.

Best regards

Kasper
D700/D3/Fuji FD31

The Following User Says Thank You to kaz911 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post

I didn't ask for a rant, nor did I state that I want the n900 to have a 101 key keyboard.

Thank you for your contribution. (enter sarcasm here)

The Following User Says Thank You to Kieron For This Useful Post: