Active Topics

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Would the second one be qgil's boss, subordinate or peer?
Good question - possibly peer, or even sub-ordinate as Quim has relocated to California.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
xD
sorry guys, just wait and see.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by jnwi View Post
Confidential sources have now informed me it's actually GNU/Hurd running a modernized twm. Nokia are pissed Linus went with Android and decided to start from scratch. Intel will be informed tomorrow, and the applications are all raw Xlib.
Richard Stallman is at MIT's physics department, begging them to build hydrogen bomb and nuke Espoo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Richard Stallman is at MIT's physics department, begging them to build hydrogen bomb and nuke Espoo.
Nokia say they don't negotiate with terrorists and will under no circumstances make Emacs the default editor.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jnwi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Nokia is far too slow. Always having delays. Why can't they be like Apple and announce a release date and meet that date.

It is in a very problematic position right now. It's flagship device, N900, is not a mass market device and is not being readily sold anymore. It's claimed flagship deviced, N97, is like the most poorly rated smartphone.

Meanwhile there are loads of amazing android phones coming out as well as iphone 4 just released. It needed to get N8 out as soon as possible not postpone its release till September. Most people upgrading now will skip the current Nokia phones and will be unwilling to wait till September for the N8. They will just go to Android or iphone. So Nokia is losing potential customers each day it delays. They also needed to release videos or something of N9 as soon as possible for those who have no interest in symbian and may be considering getting an android or iphone. But that cannot happen now because they have to wait for N8 to come out before revealing anything of N9.

Of course better to delay to make sure everything is working whoell before release but when did Nokia do that? They will delay and probably still release a buggy device.
how many times can this be rehashed? I feel as though im reading gizmodo or engadget.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kryptoniankid17 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by jnwi View Post
Nokia say they don't negotiate with terrorists and will under no circumstances make Emacs the default editor.
That's what they say, but the real reason is that Nokia is about to launch the awesome OVImacs. It vastly improves on the traditional editor experience by integrating Twitter and Facebook. It also Comes With Music, order now and you get the Rihanna Special.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kryptoniankid17 View Post
how many times can this be rehashed? I feel as though im reading gizmodo or engadget.
I haven't seen it said anywhere. Giving my opinion. And where you feel you are is your problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by kryptoniankid17 View Post
If I had to offer up a guess... until it changes perhaps?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
That's what they say, but the real reason is that Nokia is about to launch the awesome OVImacs. It vastly improves on the traditional editor experience by integrating Twitter and Facebook. It also Comes With Music, order now and you get the Rihanna Special.
I'll bet it'll contain (or entirely be) closed-source.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
in my opinion, it really won't matter which OS it is. Nokia will likely NOT use the reference UI, and customize its own solution based loosely on that reference UI using the Qt UI toolkit used for both OSes.

I thought that was the entire point of buying Qt: To unify the app ecosystems and UIs of both their software platforms to remove fragmentation. You can also have UX fragmentation, but using a similarly styled UI paradigm for both OSes solves the issue.

So if this is more than just a marketing mockup (and I doubt it is...), it will likely be the basic look of BOTH OSes. The big difference will be the extended app ecosystem from MeeGo with GTK and the like.

In essence, we're all right in the end. Its NOKIA's UI. That will be how they brand/differentiate their devices, and how they unify their experience, regardless of cost or hardware.

Tags
aligatro == df