Active Topics

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
It's only when you compare the phone OS to the other 2 then you realize how antiquated the OS is. After using Maemo for a while, going back to Symbian is horrible...

Symbian works, but it cannot move Nokia forward into the future with the current UI design.
l agree the ui needs work and some type of overhaul. I disagree that its the os thats holding nokia back.

New CEO's path to success:
  1. Release all source for Maemo 5 that Nokia owns.
  2. Watch from his cushy window office as this community and others finish what Nokia started.
  3. ??? I don't care at the moment; it probably has something to do with MeeGo transparency, but it certainly doesn't involve Android.
  4. Profit
  5. If danramos declines, receive reach around from tmo member who draws shortest straw.

Last edited by daperl; 2010-07-21 at 03:26.

I say fire the entire lot, starting with all top level management. Especially the idiots running Maemo/ Meego ... how many years and they haven't delvered. Anyways the replacements can't do nothing pretty much as the volatility is increased if things change ... but the current management has made a ton of mistakes that they need to be let go and not rewarded by waiting it out.

Same roadmap should be kept, the focus for E-Series should increase and no more Symbian N-Series. Maemo/ Meego should be the highend smartphone competition choice and Symbian should play a role for developing markets and low end C series. Cancel the entire X-series, shutter the online Ovi service and rather turn it into an unified app for each phone. Come with a predictable and frequent hardware release cycle. Also the S40 for feature phones can still work, but I think the emphasis is to create more smartphones. Use Symbian as the gateway to access more users. More cheaper smartphones or featurephones running Symbian will give access to Nokia's untapped developer potential in countries like China, India, Brazil, Nigeria, etc.. This way so long as the architecture is unified between Meego and Symbian on the SDK framework then we can begin to see a bunch of apps being developed. This current mentality of segmentation through Software is a archaic method, rather it should be segmentation through hardware not software features. OPK realized this now, but obviously Nokia has been slow to move down this path and for that he needs to be fired, throw them all out like I said. Even right now it doesn't have real direction, we the consumers don't see the direction Nokia is going as it is uncertain and unpredictable (think of the sudden abruptness of the Meego announcement).

Going Android this late in the game is not good, especially with all the work put into Meego. Nokia has to see this through, because the people are watching. The CEO's can change, but another drastic change such as that would reiterate the current feeling that Nokia does not know how to see a project through and is damaging to the brand. Also these differing teams I hate it. Nokia's problems are systemic in nature. From the frequent leaks, to the way Symbian and Maemo had to compete for resources (programmers) ... also I hate this pseudo open source posturing. Nokia is tight lipped about certain things such as Flash ... for god sake just say it will or won't officially ... but then later extolls the virtues of being an open source OS. Yeah please communicate better or just shut up about being open source because the Android guys are more forthcoming in that regard.

Fire them I say, but I also caution bring in talent who is strong enough to make the necessary changes on the inside. I'm sure Nokia's current predicament was not only one guy but a team effort in sucking. Nokia is too large for this management operation, maybe downsize and focus on key markets and reset your benchmarks. I seriously think this is management inefficiencies and lack of engineers. Fewer phone models, focused management, and consolidated working teams is usually the answer to this problem.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
my take: http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...the-way-o-u-t/

I think change will be extremely helpful at this point, but I worry about two possible consequences: scrapping what can and will work if treated right (MeeGo, Ovi, N-Series) and layoffs.

and the one who decided N900 wont get MeeGo

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
It's only when you compare the phone OS to the other 2 then you realize how antiquated the OS is. After using Maemo for a while, going back to Symbian is horrible...
It's the other way round. I kept my Symbian phone and still use it as my main phone (instead of the N900) because every-day-tasks that you listed are done so much faster and easier on S60 compared to Maemo. - And don't get me started on Android.... tried to browse through a few photos on a friend's HTC Desire the other day. Impossible. It changed to the previous/next image when I wanted to zoom in, it moved the image around when I wanted to see the next one... frustrating. He's selling the thing again on ebay right now, will be using his N900 for the time being and switch back to Symbian as soon as the N8 becomes available. I can tell why.... And that's exactly why I keep my Symbian phone in the first place.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Put 3 phones next to each other with similar hardware design, Android, Symbian, iphone
ask 10 non-geeks to use the phone (mid 30's non tech workers) to do tasks such as
- make a call, answer a call
- use calender to make an appt
- add/edit/delete a contact
- create a playlist of music
- turn on/off bluetooth
- download a popular app (Shazaam)
- browse the photo gallery
- give marks on how "smooth" the UI is

Symbian is just too clunky when compared to the other 2 for everyday tasks for "average joe".
-start writing persons name as it is in address book. use green and red phone icons
- no idea
- no idea
- press *

-probably pain in the ***
-no real difference?
-personal preference

my point?
symbian isn't so bad when you have real buttons....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Excellent analysis of this situation by Tomi Ahonen as usual

http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...g-for-ceo.html

Originally Posted by Enyibinakata View Post
Excellent analysis of this situation by Tomi Ahonen as usual

http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...g-for-ceo.html
Great read, thanks for the link. Nokia has made, and continues to make, so many mistakes, but they still have the best software strategy for the future. Too bad the best doesn't always win.

Nokia, open all your source. Today!

Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post
- make that Microsoft partnership move faster to provide some meaningful competition to RIM.
With news like this http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/215149.asp, suggesting a consistent pattern of bad behaviour...I hope Nokia would think more than twice on this partnership. In my book, it is better end it than having it going further. Beside...what can MS offer in the core cell phone business(other than the access to the lock-in tech of MS exchange messages services)

Tags
bada rox, bigbadtroll!, ceo firing, fooled again, pissing contest