Notices

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by Tjgib2001 View Post
and that about it lol. hope someone can make use of this.
hi i want to ask where to put files for images for internet??

help please

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
great job how much time did u put in?

The Following User Says Thank You to kryptoniankid17 For This Useful Post:
Wow!!! Looking at this thread and the mods thread shows me some really really lovely things that can be done with the N900. Just wish I understood how to do all these mods, etc. Don't have a clue. Hopefully one day these things would be apps, etc that basic users like me can actually make use of.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
so could someone make this one for proper package, too much job installing these files separately and then reverting when you want other theme

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Crom,

Yes, all the icon/hicolor stuff goes in a hildon folder inside the size (216x216) folders.

Tjgib2001 did a great job putting this all together, but I think there were a coulpe typos along the way.

yes my bad. lemmyslender is right, just forgot the hildon part.

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Thanks for all the great work. Installed easily, almost all the parts. Love it.

To install, it's easiest to install openssh on the N900 then use something like winscp or an ftp client to copy files to the N900 (I use filezilla). Be warned though that you can delete or screw up files on your N900 and may have to re-flash. If you only install the files in this package you should be OK.

I also installed all the files in /usr/share/icons/hicolor..... to /home/user/.local/share/icons/hicolor...

this way I don't overwrite the files on my root filesystem and only have to delete the files in the .local folder to return to the originals.

I think I used everything but the phone,media player, and general web icons. I also left the task manager/switcher and close items "stock".

And I updated the web shortcut to remove the explorer "E" attached.

think i will change mine back too, cos seeing it there now without the "e" i think it looks better, i was never really keen on it any way. and that what i love about installing it this way, you can pick and choose what u like and what you dont. glad you like most of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tjgib2001 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Wow!!! Looking at this thread and the mods thread shows me some really really lovely things that can be done with the N900. Just wish I understood how to do all these mods, etc. Don't have a clue. Hopefully one day these things would be apps, etc that basic users like me can actually make use of.
trust me, im a noob too, it might not seem like it, but i had no clue about anything to do with this phone, i didnt even know what linux was, but i did what you did (this is all in the last month) and read through posts, thought wow, and then said to my self ive gotta learn. then went onto "show off your mods" thread, and read every single page, including links to "how to gain root access" and "using winscp" then went on youtube and watched videos on "glossy buttons using gimp" and creating icons and then after learning gimp i set to work changing all icons and menus, it took ages because there are hundreds of things to change and most of the time you dont know what you are changing untill you try it, so there is a lot of phone restarting and finger crossing. but as long as you backup there is nothing to worry about

so from one noob to another just stick at it and read, and search, and also the guys in this community are amazin too, all the help you want from some real experts. good luck anyway.

Last edited by Tjgib2001; 2010-03-13 at 08:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tjgib2001 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
so could someone make this one for proper package, too much job installing these files separately and then reverting when you want other theme
think thats gonna have to be my next mission to learn how to do it.

Originally Posted by DJRedline View Post
unsure whats happening as most of the files work -

when my N900 is connected to my pc just make a new directory named "themes". (full path: /home/user/MyDocs/themes)

in this folder make two additional directories named "beta" and "beta-backup".

now copy all modded .png files into their relevant folders within the 'beta' folder as per you instructions .
disconnect usb.

open x-term.
1. get root:
type "sudo gainroot".
2. copy files to back them up:
type "cp -r /usr/share/themes/beta/* /home/user/MyDocs/themes/beta-backup/"
3. overwrite existing files:
type "cp -r /home/user/MyDocs/themes/beta /usr/share/themes/beta"

now things like the contact frames, web shortcuts, menu icon, desktop shortcuts, calendar widget etc etc (basically all mods that need to be in the 'images' folder) seem to work apart from the phone dialer, calendar (even though the .png files are in the same 'images' folder that seem to work for other mods)
not really sure im qualified to answer this as i have no idea how to use xterm. but one thing i noticed is in my instructions i say put them in the alpha folder and your using beta. maybe you would now have to change your theme by going desktop menu,themes, and changing to the other theme (one is alpha theme and relates to the alpha folder, the the other is beta theme and relates to the beta folder.) so if you have placed everything in the beta folder but are running the "alpha" theme then some thing will not show up. hope this helps. or hopefully someone with more xterm knowledge will jump in here

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by Tjgib2001 View Post
not really sure im qualified to answer this as i have no idea how to use xterm. but one thing i noticed is in my instructions i say put them in the alpha folder and your using beta. maybe you would now have to change your theme by going desktop menu,themes, and changing to the other theme (one is alpha theme and relates to the alpha folder, the the other is beta theme and relates to the beta folder.) so if you have placed everything in the beta folder but are running the "alpha" theme then some thing will not show up. hope this helps. or hopefully someone with more xterm knowledge will jump in here
waited till i got home and used winscp and noticed that using xterm created folders within folders thats why some of the theme worked and some didnt.

now using winscp i have managed to sort it all out. so im happy now

Tags
fremantle, wip theme