Originally Posted by hqh View Post
Xev can be found from package x11-utils (on the SDK at least).
Edit: Armel version exists at http://repository.maemo.org/pool/fre...e/x/x11-utils/
You may want to use http://qwerty12.qole.org/xev instead until bug 5987 is fixed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
I wonder if fiferboy could adapt Personal Menu to come up when the shutter button is pressed?

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
This worries me. The Camera button on my n95 was the first to lose all the solvering from overuse. Make it do for something else and I might wear it out altogether!

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
i would love to see a dpad. this would be awesome for gaming

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kryptoniankid17 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by thp View Post
It's accessible as button via Hal: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_cam_shutter

The camera button is also exposed via Hal: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_cam_focus (for pressing it just lightly) and /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_cam_launch (for pressing it normally). You can get the events via D-Bus on the system bus. HTH.
Thanks! It does seem there is no keypress/keyrelease X event for the camera shutter. At least I didn't see any using the fixed xev utility.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kortsi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kortsi View Post
Thanks! It does seem there is no keypress/keyrelease X event for the camera shutter. At least I didn't see any using the fixed xev utility.
Ok, what about the camera key itself? Is there a keycode or is that button hal-only too?

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
its a general issue a have with touchscreen-based devices. there seems to be a tendency in the industry that touchscreen is the superior input mechanism, and if you need any hw buttons, your UI design is wrong.
I hope not!
If touchscreens were superior, we'd have seen full touchscreen laptops and computers already, the lack of which shows it isn't good enough (or in my case, tactile enough).

I've seen man microwaves with "touch" buttons with no tactile feedback, and they can be frustrating, while most ovens I've seen still use knobs etc. Switches and buttons just feel more solid.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
I would love to see the Call and End button.. since you know, it could be used as a phone too..

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
For instance, while browsing, I don't always need/want to have the keyboard out. Reading ebooks/pdf, etc is another case.

It'd be much easier to hit the camera button rather than slide out the keyboard, press a key combo, slide keyboard back in.
Speaking of reading ebooks and pdf files, is there a way too page down without having to swipe or use the keyboard? will the volume buttons in portrait mode do this ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Helsinki
Thats excellent! Just what I was thinking.