Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
A new blog post on the Jolla+Xperia project:

http://reviewjolla.blogspot.com/2017...-x-single.html

This statement howerver worries me a bit:

It sounds like an official SFOS release for Xperia X could be 3+ months away and that Jolla have many more obstacles than they initially thought.

My Jolla 1 is getting so slow and I'm really eager to get a fully working replacement device.
3 month seriously? It is soon august do not expect any official support this year. By that Xperia X is not even selling in my country since it is now replaced by XZ(S/P). And the XZP is probadly far from ready to get SFOS. I am not sure it even will be supported.

I guess it is time to move on. I just want a decent phone with GOOD camera by that I don't mean 10000000000Gpixel camera but decent quality of taken pictures.

For years I have been waiting for a good decent FOSS based smartphone with good camera. But still they are pace of garbage. FP2 crap/jolla1 crap and so on. It seems not even Sony can with compete with Huwai P10/HTC10 or Google Pixel except maybe XZP but then again will we get the damn SFOS on in? I doubt maybe 2025. So my guess is it ends with an android phone or iphone7S for me.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2017-07-23 at 21:36.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
3 month seriously? It is soon august do not expect any official support this year. By that Xperia X is not even selling in my country since it is now replaced by XZ(S/P). And the XZP is probadly far from ready to get SFOS. I am not sure it even will be supported.

I guess it is time to move on. I just want a decent phone with GOOD camera by that I don't mean 10000000000Gpixel camera but decent quality of taken pictures.

For years I have been waiting for a good decent FOSS based smartphone with good camera. But still they are pace of garbage. FP2 crap/jolla1 crap and so on. It seems not even Sony can with compete with Huwai P10/HTC10 or Google Pixel except maybe XZP but then again will we get the damn SFOS on in? I doubt maybe 2025. So my guess is it ends with an android phone or iphone7S for me.
If you want something “fast” and good. I can only recommend Oneplus X.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:

I've used Xperia X and with the stock Android it performs well and the camera quality is pretty top notch. I've never seen so good pictures on phone before - however I am not very experienced in phone cameras.

My plan is to backup Xperia X DRM, install SFOS with multirom and restore DRM so I have the original with the SFOS if needed but I think Jolla people are doing good job with the camera software.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pexi View Post
My plan is to backup Xperia X DRM, install SFOS with multirom and restore DRM so I have the original with the SFOS if needed but I think Jolla people are doing good job with the camera software.
Restoring TA partition locks bootloader. So you can't do that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by pexi View Post
I've used Xperia X and with the stock Android it performs well and the camera quality is pretty top notch. I've never seen so good pictures on phone before - however I am not very experienced in phone cameras.

Let's hope you are right. I would not mind buy a Xperia if I was sure camera was as good as stock android version and also we must have dalvik in SFOS. And I want to be sure SFOS really will be released. Or else I better go Huwai or Google Pixel.

And again DRM camera/gfx drivers make me wonder if it will be legal to install SFOS with all the DRM crap needed. Sound we get similar issues that we have with FP2 where we are not allowed to run dalvik even if it is possible...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

And again DRM camera/gfx drivers make me wonder if it will be legal to install SFOS with all the DRM crap needed.
Western people are too worried with legal issues.
Jolla will provide SFOS image with dalvik and no DRM stuff. Everything else (patching kernel, hooking DRM keys access) is up to users.
It is your phone, do what you wanna do.

Last edited by lantern; 2017-07-24 at 10:12.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Let's hope you are right. I would not mind buy a Xperia if I was sure camera was as good as stock android version and also we must have dalvik in SFOS. And I want to be sure SFOS really will be released. Or else I better go Huwai or Google Pixel.

And again DRM camera/gfx drivers make me wonder if it will be legal to install SFOS with all the DRM crap needed. Sound we get similar issues that we have with FP2 where we are not allowed to run dalvik even if it is possible...
By stock Android I mean stock Sony Android. Not AOSP.

The Following User Says Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 83 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ NIgeria
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
is it a wise decision to buy x in advance? i mean to say what if jolla abondons the project or the images they come up with aren't cool enough for the users?
You've got a point there man, but our tenacity to desire it to happen can be incentive enough to get these two names to do good on their promises. I am still in search of an Xperia X myself, fairly used preferably but will not mind going for one out of the box if need be, that is how cool that device would be with Sailfish on it, but till we are given the link to that firmware, the phone is not a priority, Android an I are so incompatible that device won't be used till Jolla makes the magic happen

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dameceno For This Useful Post:
Posts: 132 | Thanked: 148 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
is it a wise decision to buy x in advance? i mean to say what if jolla abondons the project or the images they come up with aren't cool enough for the users?
I'm not buying it in advance anymore, and I have everything from the past: N800 - ... - FP2/Sailfish

I think it's at least 75/25 that a solid Xperia port will emerge, but "when", whether Xperia X is too out of date by that time, and whether this 64-bit port helps the next newer device get it faster - all unknowns.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lkravovicz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lkravovicz View Post
I'm not buying it in advance anymore, and I have everything from the past: N800 - ... - FP2/Sailfish

I think it's at least 75/25 that a solid Xperia port will emerge, but "when", whether Xperia X is too out of date by that time, and whether this 64-bit port helps the next newer device get it faster - all unknowns.
Definately it lays ground for the better models. Even when I have the Xperia X I hope very very much that SFOS makes it to the flagship models. It's time to bring SFOS out of the second class phones into the flagships.

Multiple cores, ram and loads of performance should shine on a real multitasking Operating System.. compared to Android / iPhone application environments which were intended to drive a single application at a time.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x