Originally Posted by clu1234
What I couldn't get the 770 to work, though, is when in Ad Hoc mode. When I connect to my notebook as Ad Hoc, the connection is established, data is exchanged (I see Send and Receive bytes), but the 770 would tell me Network Error when it tries to launch the browser, reader, or Internet radio... Any idea?

Clu1234,

The problem most likely is that although you are associated, you need to enable NAT functionality on your laptop so that the N770 gets an IP address and the laptop is setup to forward packets for the N770.

I am assuming that you have multiple interfaces on your notebook and that you are connected to the internet through your first (ethernet interface). First make sure you can surf from your notebook using the wired interface.

Put your second interface (wireless) in ad hoc mode and preferably assign it a wep key. Assuming that you are running some flavor of Windoze XP, go to network connections and click the
"set up a home and small office network" and go thru the wizard. You want to choose the first option that says, this computer connects directly to the internet and other computers connect thru this computer".
At the next screen choose the interface on your notebook (wired interface) as the interface that is connected to internet. Go through the wizard and you should be able to associate from the N770 in ad hoc mode and browse the web. Essentially you are enabling NAT functionality using your laptop.

Of course with this setting you wont be able to access regular infrastructure wireless networks from your laptop. The winxp Internet Connection SHaring (ICS) wizard assigns a 192.168 addresss to your wireless interface. Once you are done with using your laptop for forwarding data just right click on the network adapter and under tcp/ip properties check the box for dynamic address and it should work fine.

If you are using *nix flavor, just look up the howtos for IP Masquerading.

HTH

DaScud

Last edited by DaScud; 2006-04-11 at 15:07.