ok, seriously somebody has to do it. I am really excited for this device and plan to buy it as soon as I can get one anywhere on the planet, BUT,

here are my negatives so far with this thing:

1. Syncml over only BT or USB, WTF? I am coming from an e71 and the syncml is great and thorough and, oh yeah, over any network connection available on the phone. Please don't go backwards. And I will never let activesync into my networks, EVER.

2. Screen size. Yeah, so it is the same as the iphone, would it have hurt to just make it a wee bit bigger than iphone? Not necessarily n810 size, but hell, lose the nokia badge on the bezel and give the engineering team an 8-ball and get the screen maxed to the edges.

3. No portrait mode for apps other than phone. Huh? This makes no sense, so much for any hope of one handed operation.

4. Nice processor, why not take off the governor? 600mhz, come one, this thing can do almost twice that, let it rip, buy Mugen stock.

5. Ovi, Nokia messaging. OK, this is not necessarily a problem with this device per se, but I am on a roll. I hate that nokia is forcing me to consume their SERVICES and not just their DEVICES. Messaging is a nice client except for the fact that every email I receive has to go through effin Finland. Ovi chat is great and hey it is jabber, why not let me use the client on my own jabber server? I am perfectly capable of setting up my own IMAP server with very good IDLE support an long timeouts and my own jabber server.

What are yours?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
It didn't take long, did it? :-D

5. Ovi, Nokia messaging. OK, this is not necessarily a problem with this device per se, but I am on a roll. I hate that nokia is forcing me to consume their SERVICES and not just their DEVICES.
Who is FORCING you to do anything?

Unlike certain other manufacturers I could mention, Nokia lets you replace almost all of the built-in apps with third party stuff if you want to (heck on Maemo you can replace the whole OS if you want to!).

Many of the third party options are even available through the built-in software (for example Share Online lets you upload pictures to Ovi Share or Flickr or Vox).

Messaging is a nice client except for the fact that every email I receive has to go through effin Finland.
If you don't like Messaging install some other e-mail app. There are plenty of them out there.

4. Nice processor, why not take off the governor? 600mhz, come one, this thing can do almost twice that, let it rip, buy Mugen stock.
Probably because most users wouldn't want to be constantly recharging their phones.

Yeah, so it is the same as the iphone, would it have hurt to just make it a wee bit bigger than iphone?
Physically bigger screens = less battery life and more expensive hardware

BTW the N900 is higher resolution than the iPhone.

3. No portrait mode for apps other than phone. Huh? This makes no sense, so much for any hope of one handed operation.
AFAIK no one has confirmed this.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
ok, seriously somebody has to do it. I am really excited for this device and plan to buy it as soon as I can get one anywhere on the planet, BUT,

here are my negatives so far with this thing:

1. Syncml over only BT or USB, WTF? I am coming from an e71 and the syncml is great and thorough and, oh yeah, over any network connection available on the phone. Please don't go backwards. And I will never let activesync into my networks, EVER.
This can (and probably will) be fixed easily by a third party program.

Again, this will probably be corrected by people other than Nokia, as it was for N8x0. Applications can also work this out for themselves - see FBReader for example.

Is the processor really guaranteed to work at more thatn 600MHz? It can certainly not come close to double that. Reports I read from Pandora developers are that not all chips are even stable at 900MHz.

5. Ovi, Nokia messaging. OK, this is not necessarily a problem with this device per se, but I am on a roll. I hate that nokia is forcing me to consume their SERVICES and not just their DEVICES. Messaging is a nice client except for the fact that every email I receive has to go through effin Finland. Ovi chat is great and hey it is jabber, why not let me use the client on my own jabber server? I am perfectly capable of setting up my own IMAP server with very good IDLE support an long timeouts and my own jabber server.
apt-get remove?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Pre-emptive strike!

No D-PAD!

No Hard Cover!

EDIT: Keyboard! No Pipe Key! No Tab Key!

EDIT EDIT:

Last edited by qole; 2009-08-28 at 00:06.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
I definitely have to agree about losing the little nokia tab on the front. If I had one I know its a damn nokia cause I bought the thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to munky261 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
It didn't take long, did it? :-D

Who is FORCING you to do anything?

Unlike certain other manufacturers I could mention, Nokia lets you replace almost all of the built-in apps with third party stuff if you want to (heck on Maemo you can replace the whole OS if you want to!).

Many of the third party options are even available through the built-in software (for example Share Online lets you upload pictures to Ovi Share or Flickr or Vox).

If you don't like Messaging install some other e-mail app. There are plenty of them out there.
Well, messaging is the best client out there as far as functionality, but you can't use it with your own imap server. Is meamo5 going to include modest or the lame symbian default client or just nokia messaging/

Probably because most users wouldn't want to be constantly recharging their phones.

Physically bigger screens = less battery life and more expensive hardware
well, maybe community will be able to have some switch or addon where we can enable this. If I am couch surfing or something while plugged in, I want all the power that is available

BTW the N900 is higher resolution than the iPhone.
I realize that. First page of the manual should teach the drill down/zoom method so you can read the screen in the browser though.

AFAIK no one has confirmed this.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Pre-emptive strike!

No D-PAD!

No Hard Cover!
What ? You didn't even mention double and full SD slots ? NIT rant test: FAIL

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Regarding the zooming....will we be able to use the buttons on top to zoom in and out as we always have? I dont care for the swirling your finger deal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to munky261 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
1 - lack of hard cover. I love my red leather cover on the n800.

2 - screen protector. If the first thing anyone sensible does is slap on a screen protector, why can't Nokia do it for us?

3 - D-pad. Why can't they put it on the back?
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Pre-emptive strike!

No D-PAD!

No Hard Cover!

EDIT: Keyboard! No Pipe Key! No Tab Key!

EDIT EDIT:
Wait... am I slow or what???

It didnt even occur to me that there is no dpad.... i didn't think to look for it i was so swept away...

just think how well the bogged down emulators would work with all that power behind em