Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
@umberto

of course there are differences in europe, as well as the states. what i wrote is no golden rule, it differs from region to region, from country to country.

i believe nokia still produces in finland mainly because they have a certain status as employer there and it wouldn't look to good if they just "abandoned" their home market. just look at the uproar when they closed the fab in germany recently.
the devices produced there are targetet at the european markets, because there the profit margin doesn't suffer too much, but in the states, where people are used to low prices, they have to adapt, and basically do what everyone else is doing when they want to make sales in the states: manufacture in china.
i doubt btw that expansys usa sells devices made in finland. if it's true then it's likely only because the fabs in china currently aren't producing n900s for the american market.

other factors influence the price as well, like brand recognition, customer loyality etc. - that's probably the reason why nokia sells the n900 for 600€ in italy. they probably know italians will love this device and be willing to pay that much for it...

i just wanted to point out the general reasons for the price differences in these markets, and to show that it's not specific to nokia.
if you really think it's unjustified, then don't buy the n900 and tell nokia about it.