Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
To be fair, "half-toilet" isn't really an accurate description of a big bottle either. Nice mead, though! Speaking of mead, it's interesting how one half of the Indo-European speakers started using 'med' exclusively for honey, and the other half exclusively for the drink made of it.
And again finns got a bit sidetracked in the wording process and hence we have "hunaja" for honey and "sima" for mead.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
And again finns got a bit sidetracked in the wording process [...]
Does that surprise you? Finns are not Indo-European speakers

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Had a serious windstorm here yesterday. It didn't hit my block too hard*, and only knocked some dead wood out of my trees. I'd hoped to find some good fungus on the debris, but only a tiny, not very photogenic, wood ear and a little bit of lichen but not enough for a pretty picture. But I persist in looking for picture-worthy fungi in everywhere.

*Next block down, a very short walk away, had ~60 year old oak trees destroyed by a microburst. Yikes!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
And again finns got a bit sidetracked in the wording process and hence we have "hunaja" for honey and "sima" for mead.
I looked up the etymology and as it turns out, not only 'hunaja', but also 'sima' is a loanword, both have Germanic roots! Crazy suomalaiset... (with all of those cases, how do you not have a vocative?)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
I looked up the etymology and as it turns out, not only 'hunaja', but also 'sima' is a loanword, both have Germanic roots! Crazy suomalaiset... (with all of those cases, how do you not have a vocative?)
I understand "hunaja" and honey as loanword but "sima" vs. what?

That is also true that "hullut suomalaiset" are crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PwIcXDnK8c <- Tell's more than few words, also to Germans, of that

Sorry OT, my Fungi-picture is nearly ready...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I see a lot of fun guys in this thread but not many fungi.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I see a lot of fun guys in this thread but not many fungi.
As always ! LOL

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
To be fair, "half-toilet" isn't really an accurate description of a big bottle either. Nice mead, though! Speaking of mead, it's interesting how one half of the Indo-European speakers started using 'med' exclusively for honey, and the other half exclusively for the drink made of it.
Not exactly true. In Russian language, 'myod' is both honey (the most widespread meaning of the word) and alcoholic drink made of honey, water and juice (archaic, mostly remembered due to fairy tales; but I think our old USSR cookbook does contain a recipe for drink made out of honey and named with the same word; granted, there are many different recipes, and different names, for drinks made with addition of honey).

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by saponga View Post
As always ! LOL
And here is both!

Most probably not the best pic (was in a rush with hungry kids)
BUT definitely my most desired fung(h)i

https://m.imgur.com/a/PrB7rbe
Taken with Samsung A70 and some default Android picture editor post-processing wizard

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
I understand "hunaja" and honey as loanword but "sima" vs. what?
Something like '*saima-' (nectar/honey) in Proto-Germanic, which became 'Seim' (syrup, apparently fallen into disuse in favour of 'Sirup', which is actually an Arabic loanword) in High German, or 'zeem' (honey) in West-Flemish.

'*saima-' itself apparently comes from '*saigma-', which in turn would stem from PIE '*soikʷ-mó-', at which point you notice that Slavic 'sok' (juice) has the same origins.

That being said, if you look at etymologies long enough, you can prove anything.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera phone, competition