Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
To my mind, the effort placed into updating and maintaining Mer was worth the cost of entry. Sailfish was never really designed to be a general all-purpose OS for all mobile devices (mainly due to the licensing fees required), but Mer is fully open, and does have the potential to spread to many devices (particularly devices built for Android). Running Mer on top of a suitable kernel gives you most of what you need to have your own personal portable mobile OS...
Ok. I like that. That is a silver lining for all this I guess...
More please!

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I was planning to change the thread title to that for some time but Cop is boss of the thread title until New Year's Eve.
Er, yeah, why is Cop the boss of the thread title until New Year's Eve?

I'm still willing to keep making suggestions, though. At this point, given that no new funding sources have appeared, I'm dubious that Jolla is going to pull out of its financial hardship. However, I'd prefer a slightly more upbeat title. (At least, that's what my mood is today... )

I'd prefer to concentrate on what can be salvaged from the Jolla wreck, if it does finally go down. A fully open Sailfish UI would be great, but I think unlikely. What seems more interesting to me would be to allow people to order the tablet direct from the factory (at the full factory price, which would probably be quite a bit higher than Jolla's price). That would allow folks to acquire a device that has decent specs and is fully set-up for running a Mer-based OS, if not Sailfish itself. So, maybe a thread title like:

"The wreck of the Jolla Tablet: What can be salvaged?"

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Jolla might still out perform Ubuntu edge campaign if they manage to ship. But at the moment the edge campaign is superior in my book since their were no innocent casualties.
Well, the key difference is that Jolla Tablet, as a campaign, was funded. That's already better than the Ubuntu Edge campaign.

The delivery would be the expected final result of a successfully funded campaign.

With that said, that dives right back into your oft-repeated mantra of "Has it delivered yet? Has it delivered yet?".

As of December 9th, 2015 the majority of the Jolla tablets have not been delivered to those in the 2nd and 3rd waves yet.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Er, yeah, why is Cop the boss of the thread title until New Year's Eve?

I'm still willing to keep making suggestions, though. At this point, given that no new funding sources have appeared, I'm dubious that Jolla is going to pull out of its financial hardship. However, I'd prefer a slightly more upbeat title. (At least, that's what my mood is today... )

I'd prefer to concentrate on what can be salvaged from the Jolla wreck, if it does finally go down. A fully open Sailfish UI would be great, but I think unlikely. What seems more interesting to me would be to allow people to order the tablet direct from the factory (at the full factory price, which would probably be quite a bit higher than Jolla's price). That would allow folks to acquire a device that has decent specs and is fully set-up for running a Mer-based OS, if not Sailfish itself. Maybe something like:

"The wreck of the Jolla Tablet: What can be salvaged?"
How about

The shipwreck of the Jolla Tablet: TIme to go treasure hunting!

Last edited by mscion; 2015-12-09 at 21:32.

Can someone please tell me more about Mer...

I really like Genie which does have bindings for Hildon, what are the chances of being able to use Genie/Hildon to write apps that run on Mer?

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
I really like Genie which does have bindings for Hildon, what are the chances of being able to use Genie/Hildon to write apps that run on Mer?
Hmm. If I understand it right, Genie / Vala serves as a vaguely C++ / Java like front end on top of C, that allows you to manipulate Gnome GObjects as if they were actual objects, rather than manually-managed C structs.

The thing is, Mer has pretty much gone the Qt route, so it uses real C++ objects. I'm not sure why you would need Genie at all?

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by tommo View Post
I consider myself a guilty casualty, guilty of trusting jolla and thinking they were more than just another company looking to grab my cash.
Hmm, if that would have been their goal I would have expected the price to be something like $600 per tablet

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Yeah. It probably means that they fired the useless cofounders/Top Managment team.
You don't understand. That's not how corporations work. When they get into trouble, the first to get the sack are all those useless, expensive engineers. After all, they do not generate any revenue, do they? It's the sales guys who bring the money, right? We need to keep those. Unless the company continues going down. Then we need to make an executive decision. That means sales and middle management has to go. In that order. Sadly, the company continues sinking. How come? It's a complete mystery. We've discarded all the ballast, what happened? At this point, it is clear that there is no hope so the top executives get a huge golden handshake and call it quits.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Hmm. If I understand it right, Genie / Vala serves as a vaguely C++ / Java like front end on top of C, that allows you to manipulate Gnome GObjects as if they were actual objects, rather than manually-managed C structs.
Thanks to GObject Introspection you can use GObjects from many languages, like Python, Javascript, Haskell, etc. And GObject usage is indeed usually much nicer to use in any other language than C.

The thing is, Mer has pretty much gone the Qt route, so it uses real C++ objects. I'm not sure why you would need Genie at all?
AFAIK, there is GObject Introspection already in Mer and it is being used for some things on Sailfish OS. It is hardly a GTK exclusive thing these days.

Originally Posted by att View Post
Hmm, if that would have been their goal I would have expected the price to be something like $600 per tablet
What I mean is everyone thought they had a connection with Jolla, and Marc dillon was their new best mate, when in fact they are just another company trying to make a profit.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund