Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Now that we are getting closer to finish the Moto Keyboard Mod, I have started to work on the next excitement - reviving the N950/Lauta concept with a modern SoC and hardware.

The first choice has been made: SoC will be Qualcomm 64-bit. There are a few choices but Qualcomm's is the best in overall performance and support.

Qualcomm (Chosen): Solution extremely expensive. Components are hard to get. But support is great (in terms of drivers). Performance at top tier, power management is great.
Intel: They exit mobile chipset business and atom range is not as power efficiency as Qualcomm.
MTK: Cheaper than Qualcomm, performance is OK. But drivers often being the issue. Components often out of stock...
Allwinner: Lower end cheap SoC with unknown support other than Android
Rockchip: Strength on Media but not a mainstream chipset.

Then here comes the question: Which OS we can use? I have a few in mind but the community's opinion will play a great rule.

AOSP: Can be shipped as a default choice, for warranty purpose, at least every basic function is working. But as Wicket mentioned in here, it seems to be causing barriers porting proper GNU releases?

The advantage for AOSP is mainly cost-free and lawsuit free, I can't sell something under other OS that might have broken functions...

Sailfish OS: A proper OS that I want to ship with default OS. But to obtain official adaptation costs a lot of time and money. On the other hand, we can leave it to a community port only. The question will be is it worth the cost adding Android layer.

Nemo: Any opinion on advantage/disadvantage on that? On official wiki page looks like the development ceased 4 years ago... If this can be achieved in terms of open UI and community/developer friendly in a latest release/kernel that will be a great choice.

Ubuntu Mobile: Is it cancelled? Is it worth developing?

GMS Android: To make this project successful and have funds improving HW/SW in the future, selling it to general public in a GMS version seem to be a good choice. Although I hated Android...

Lineage OS: As an alternative to GMS Andoid, but is it possible shipping as the default OS?

Any suggestions/ideas/loves/hates please post here.

==================================

Update:

Chipsets and specs has been decided.

At the moment we will do our best releasing the device with Sailfish OS, while keep an Android version (Either Lineage OS or Google GMS) for general users. But SFOS will remain 1st priority.

=================================

Update 2:

The project is moving forward but since I am no longer seeking for crowdfunding, I will share progress only when major milestone has been made. This will be a great one.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2018-04-01 at 01:23.

The Following 53 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I vote any OS except sailfish until Jolla step up and take responsibility for the failed campaign. That said if they do that with a full refund I think sailfish can be an option. What about android? I don't think we shall exclude any option this early in the game.

If we got out second refunds we could donate it to this project and maybe you could afford a basic prototyping.

Happy to see this thread! It's very welcome here. GL chen.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-07-22 at 05:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
well in my view your target market has two clear groups within it
1, those who just want a hardware keyboard for their phone
2, those who want real linux on a phone with a hardware keyboard

group 1 ( in my view the larger group ) would prefer something normal like AOSP ( or Lineage OS? ).

group 2 ( the group i am in ) can cope with messing with system stuff to get whatever they need on it, as long as it is setup to be easily done (what defines this needs its own thread *sigh* ).

so i my view AOSP (or Lineage OS) is a good choice to appeal to the largest group, giving us the largest chance of this device going into production at a reasonable price, while providing what support you can to allow users to install themselves what they like on their own device.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to chainsawbike For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Aaaaand... Here we go again. Dave999 barging in and spoiling Yet Another Thread™ with his drivel about Jolla's refund.

Chen, I would like to ask, why not a proper Debian or any other mainstream Linux that has an ARM support? If you are in control of the drivers and your device has a real keyboard then I can see no reason why not.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Nemo is very far from being appropriate for daily use. There are simply too few developers that have time to work on it (I think there's three people working on it off and on), so over the past years there hasn't been a lot of progress.

Out of moral concerns I definitely wouldn't go for GMS Android, and practically it wouldn't make much of a difference either. Someone who wants a hardware keyboard is more likely to be a 'power user', and they would either not want Google, or have no problem installing those packages by themselves to get their desired functionality.

I agree with chainsawbike and think Lineage OS would be best. AOSP is very out of date, the music player hasn't seen any update since Android 2.3, when Google started exclusively developing their proprietary version, and it's like this for nearly all of the default applications. They're even worse than Jolla's applications that are never updated.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
How about dualboot between Android/Sailfish? For me Sailfish is enough for daily use. Perhaps sometimes Android app is needed.

How about good old Nokia Communicator look (9500/9300..)? The main screen is in safe when closed. Small screen to see clock/number etc.

Be sure, that there is enough memory and a good camera! Dual-Sim!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Metsämies For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
How about a voting system? I would prefer a N950 like design with Sailfish on it

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post

Chen, I would like to ask, why not a proper Debian or any other mainstream Linux that has an ARM support? If you are in control of the drivers and your device has a real keyboard then I can see no reason why not.
while that would be very convenient for those who want a real linux on their phone i do no believe that will provide a good enough out-of-the-box user experience (or just plain too different) to be mass-marketable and in my view we need the device to be mass-marketable to make it viable

as long it is made with the intent of being able to install real Linux on it, I think releasing it out of the box with an android variant would be a smart move to attract a larger number of potential buyers

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chainsawbike For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
You want this to be commercially successful or at least not a flop so android OTB is the only thing that make sense.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Aaaaand... Here we go again. Dave999 barging in and spoiling Yet Another Thread™ with his drivel about Jolla's refund.

Well, to get this really difficult project to a reality I think we need all kinds of options and supporters. Not only yours or mine. In addition to that we probably need a lot more backers than tablet project to even get this to the starting line.

If you can't accept others opions I think it's better you leave the union

This thread will be awesome!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen