Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
There's always the natural tendency of people to think "my experience = everyone else's experience"... especially when they see validation.

But the fiasco was variable. While some were unable to download at all, others were (at one point I had 300/KBps while others claimed zero). There's no doubt that there was one significant factor (Nokia's apparent lack of sufficient resources) and numerous smaller factors that still contributed (user ISP, download machine, etc).

But rest assured the maemo folks are equally as frustrated as you all are. I wish I could share their pain with you but I can't (unless I want to look for a new job). Everytime you encounter delays in software releases, download bandwidth constraints, bugs, etc, just know that you are being served by good, hardworking people who often deal with circumstances well beyond their control and I'll have to leave it at that.

However, for my part, I will blog about this internal to Nokia. Maybe the right person (you know, some high-floor exec with $$$ to throw around) will read it and take heed of the fact that the tablets are becoming victims of their own $ucce$$...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
New, old, don't matter. You want rantings? Try Mike Cane before his mad-dash exit out of here that consisted of several hundred posts slamming the 770. THAT was ranting.

What makes me bite my lip and groan a bit is that a lot of these "things are going to have to get better or I'm abandoning it" posts list two totally off base alternate products.

You can compare the N95 to an iPhone. They're similar devices.

You can compare an EEE to a small form factor underpowered laptop. They're similar devices.

The problem is, our little tablets do a little bit of everything (and admittedly not as well as devices which focus on each independent thing) and people don't seem to get it. The strength in the tablets lies in many little pieces forming a strong whole.

Besides, the iPhone is way more expensive, what with the 7 days worth of argyle sweater vests you'll have to purchase with it to complete your iLifestyle(tm).

Folks, blaming new users for the bandwidth problems just stinks of a fanboi mentality. Please don't do it. The current problems are caused by insufficient resources and the ultimate fault lies with Nokia.

yadda yadda.

Oh, and Hedgie, if you don't barge into technut's off topic thread I will personally hunt you down in whatever igloo you call home and slap some circulation into you.

Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Folks, blaming new users for the bandwidth problems just stinks of a fanboi mentality. Please don't do it. The current problems are caused by insufficient resources and the ultimate fault lies with Nokia.
Jeff, I think you missed the spirit of those posts. Imagine this but in cheek.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Barcelona
@Hedgecore: sorry to disagree, but any really portable unit with wifi that gets the job done is good for me. Then comes other factors: size, eyecandy, weight, community, company backing up product, etc in no particular order.

@JeffElkins: completely agree. And besides, even longtime users started as newbies.

@Texrat: high end execs don't feel for users half as much as programmers do, they just want to keep shareholders happy. And as in all projects there's always persons, people, fathers and sons and friends and foes and husbands and call-it-want-you-want that really take critcism personally and get things done. And I'm thankfull to they all.

Garfi

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ France
As an "hold" user I'm frustrated two. But as an "hold" user I start to be used too those problems. I understand your ranting, and hope it can convince somebody @ Nokia that their Internet tablet customers are growing (if I trust the traffic increase on the forum) and slowly moving to the regular (vs geek) type, with normal customer expectations

Last edited by rheve; 2007-12-20 at 21:33.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ deutschland
I'm one of those people ....
I am new to this forum, but it's the same here as anywhere: The "older" ones have never been newbies, were senior member from day one, that's the problem, whixh fills up too many posts in many threads.
But nevermind ...
I tried to download the new os2008 for n810, had the same problems as others, found a mirror, downloaded in 10 minutes (after two or three cancelled attempts to download from maemo.org before).
After that I wanted to install some applications. Had to download again. All repositories on maemo.org were / are unreachable. Why isn't it possible to download all the stuff to my pc and install it from there?
OS2008 is completely intransparent for a non-nokia-user. In linux, in palm, even in windows there's a comprehensible structure, in os2008 it's only a black box.
I think I have to get out my little knowledge about using terminals ...

I found the restore functions worked *too* well - it restored my OS2007 settings screwing my OS2008 repository details up...

The repository sites I think (hope?) are down due to loading... hopefully the situation will get better.

Originally Posted by conum View Post
Why isn't it possible to download all the stuff to my pc and install it from there?
It was, before the servers got clobbered.

I kept copies of everything I've installed on an MMC card, so reinstallation was simple and an internet connection wasn't necessary.

After the last time this nonsense happened, I figured it would be a good idea to keep the archives