Posts: 116 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Birmingham, UK
Hi. Don't know where else to put this. I'm a Symbian fangirl have been since the Nokia 6630. I've not owned anything but a nokia camerphone in a long time. I have an n8 now. I'm due an upgrade / recently went sim free so I can pick up a handset.

I am tired of Symbian. I love my camera but I am tired of the tiny screen, of constantly having to re-do text messages cos the letters are all wrong. I am tired of no NFC, of nokia social, etc etc.

I got a nexus7 tablet (largely because I can't easily send emails on my n8, the screen is just too small) and I've realised how nice it is to have busybox and an xterm...

Mainly the camera keeps me using my n8 - the camera is second to none. Except the 808. If I get an n9, will I regret it from a camera standpoint? Or are there enough pluses to help me overcome the dual led flash?

Basically my dilemma is, 808 for the camera but aging os and terrible resolution, or n9 for the experience but only dual led flash?

Thanks for any advice.

The Following User Says Thank You to leoniedelt For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
The n9's usability is much higher than the n8 or 808 for that matter...

The camera needs to be manually tweaked via ISO, White Balance etc to get good on-par shots...

Compared to Symbian you will enjoy Harmattan much more (I came over from the n8)...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Denmark :D
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
The n9's usability is much higher than the n8 or 808 for that matter...

The camera needs to be manually tweaked via ISO, White Balance etc to get good on-par shots...

Compared to Symbian you will enjoy Harmattan much more (I came over from the n8)...
I had a N8 before I got my N9.. Yeah the camera isn't as good as the one in N8, but as Thedead1440 wrote: You will enjoy Harmattan much more!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZiiimZooon For This Useful Post:
Symbian is certainly yawn-worthy... I am so bored of it.

I'm looking everywhere for good prices, and camera comparisons. I am somewhat afraid I'll be underwhelmed by the camera :/

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by leoniedelt View Post
I am somewhat afraid I'll be underwhelmed by the camera :/
Look at this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81178

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
I advice you test Symbian on the 808 and then decide. It is a better experience than on the N8.

Hardware wise the 808 is much better built than the N9.
The bigger screen does not add overview but it makes it easier to use than the N8.
And it has a real camera.
Agree the 808 should have run Harmattan.

But the N9 is like a beautiful mind forever trapped in a handicapped body.
My main issue was the display of the N9 being not clear enough for a major internet browsing device. Small text (thanks to high ppi count) is only good when rendered sharp enough.

When I am editing color levels of pictures with the 808 phone and posting to Flickr I still prefer my N808 over anything I have had before. Symbian or not.
The N900 is always within reach for serious surfing over the 808 hotspot.
I am currently running a custom firmware 2.2.1 Symbian FP2 by TheOne on the 808. It is free from the Microsoft clutter and runs pretty quick.

Last edited by ste-phan; 2012-09-25 at 13:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
I advice you test Symbian on the 808 and then decide. It is a better experience than on the N8.

Hardware wise the 808 is much better built than the N9.
The bigger screen does not add overview but it makes it easier to use than the N8.
And it has a real camera.
Agree the 808 should have run Harmattan.

But the N9 is like a beautiful mind forever trapped in a handicapped body.
My main issue was the display of the N9 being not clear enough for a major internet browsing device. Small text (thanks to high ppi count) is only good when rendered sharp enough.

When I am editing color levels of pictures with the 808 phone and posting to Flickr I still prefer my N808 over anything I have had before. Symbian or not.
The N900 is always within reach for serious surfing over the 808 hotspot.
I am currently running a custom firmware 2.2.1 Symbian FP2 by TheOne on the 808. It is free from the Microsoft clutter and runs pretty quick.
Getting ahold of the 808 will only be possible if i buy it :/

The.one89's cfws are always the ones i have used on my N8, for the last year or so. His camera mods are superb and he is great at stripping the bloat out of the fw but leaving the functionality.

Argh, its a tough decision! :/

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Look at this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81178
Spot on.

I mainly taking photos of moving children - mine, usually indoors. They move. A lot. Its cold outside or raining most of the time so we're inside, a lot. The xenon flash on my N8 is perfect for capturing their faces / movements and the N8 has always produced good quality photos.

Any ideas on how the cam performs under lower light conditions / moving subjects?

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by leoniedelt View Post
Any ideas on how the cam performs under lower light conditions / moving subjects?
The continuous shutter mode is good IMO for moving children. Low light conditions are not the best for N9.

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
The continuous shutter mode is good IMO for moving children. Low light conditions are not the best for N9.
Sounds like i ought to keep my N8, then, for its camera! What i want to avoid is two devices in my pockets pulling my jeans off

Any thoughts o the Jolla mobile? When and what and will it have as good a camera as the N9, let alone the N8?