Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
Any one else having a problem where it's impossible to unlock the screen because the |*| button is not recognized as being hit? I get the "Now Press |*|" but it just goes away after a couple of seconds because multiple presses of the center key don't do anything.
I had that problem when I tried a Sony PSP screen protector on my N800. There is probably unusual stress under the edge of the frame somewhere, maybe some dirt.

You could try the "business card trick" of Newtons of yore: Use the edge or corner of a business card to go under the frame, all around the screen. This will remove any gunk that might have accumulated there. It's probably best to do this with the N800 off...

The screen is fine. It's the fact that the center button is somehow disabled so pushing it doesn't complete the two button press unlock procedure. After a reboot, things work fine for some unknown amount of time.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
Any one else having a problem where it's impossible to unlock the screen because the |*| button is not recognized as being hit? I get the "Now Press |*|" but it just goes away after a couple of seconds because multiple presses of the center key don't do anything.
I had something similar... First modified mce.ini as above. Then modified systemui.xml to get the Soft Poweroff entry on the "Device mode" menu. It appeared OK at the top of the list but the middle button did not work. Restored systemui and now all works fine.

It seems to me that there are some hickups with softpoweroff, probably it is not enabled for a reason, hopefully will be ironed out in the next version.

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Nantes (France)
Hi!
I've just updated mce.ini to enable softpoweroff when long-pressing the on/off button (and I've rebooted). But it thought that this would have turned WIFI off too: am I wrong? So what is exactly "softpoweroff"? Any solution to turn both screen and WIFI off by the same action?
TIA.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
It's great that Nokia have sorted out the "always on" functionality, but they have totally forgotten about those of us that sometimes want "always off" functionality as well!!
Isn't that what the "Offline" (aka "Flight") mode is for? If you're going into a place where wireless devices are prohibited (yet they allow it as long as you turn it off, i.e. an airplane), then put it into offline mode.

I work for a defense contractor, so I feel your pain, but in my experience, if wireless devices aren't allowed, then they are not allowed period, regardless of whether or not you turn off the wireless parts.

If you don't like Offline mode, then you can always switch the device off entirely. It only takes 30 seconds to boot up, and if you have it in "Always Off" mode, then you're probably not using it very often anyway, since it is, after all, an Internet Tablet.

Personally, Soft Poweroff is exactly what I need, and if the N800 had a cover (and, in my opinion, it desperately needs one), I'd set it to do just that if I put the cover on. And I think that's basically what the 770 does if you enable the "Keep Wireless on when cover is on" option.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Xyzo View Post
Hi!
I've just updated mce.ini to enable softpoweroff when long-pressing the on/off button (and I've rebooted). But it thought that this would have turned WIFI off too: am I wrong? So what is exactly "softpoweroff"? Any solution to turn both screen and WIFI off by the same action?
TIA.
Not as far as I know. The closest I've come is setting WiFi to go off after 5 minutes. Or, if you set WiFi to never scan, it won't burn your elektrik juice.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Isn't that what the "Offline" (aka "Flight") mode is for? If you're going into a place where wireless devices are prohibited (yet they allow it as long as you turn it off, i.e. an airplane), then put it into offline mode.
Yep, flight mode would do the trick but taking that route means I've got even more buttons and menu options to select from - first I need to enter Flight mode, then I need to Lock the device, and if I want to use WiFi/BT I've got to exit from Flight mode (another menu option). This isn't how it was with the 770.

Ideally I need a combination of Locked + Flight mode, with online mode restored when the device is unlocked but it shouldn't go online automatically - I guess I can stop this by disabling the Connection -> Search Interval...

(Aside: Hmm, why can't I specify the "auto connect" status for individual WiFi APs? A "work" WLAN would never be auto connect, but "home" would be... may log an RFE for that).

I work for a defense contractor, so I feel your pain, but in my experience, if wireless devices aren't allowed, then they are not allowed period, regardless of whether or not you turn off the wireless parts.
It's almost as bad as a defence contractor but not quite - Swiss investment bank.

If you don't like Offline mode, then you can always switch the device off entirely. It only takes 30 seconds to boot up, and if you have it in "Always Off" mode, then you're probably not using it very often anyway, since it is, after all, an Internet Tablet.
I do use it during the day, from time to time - enough times that having it powered off would be a major pain. Being able to unlock it without connecting to a network would be great. My major requirement is that when I lock it I know that it's also disconnected - this isn't currently possible unless I go into the Power Menu and select two options in sequence (and there's also one extra confirmation dialog before going into Flight mode!)

Ultimately this shouldn't be that difficult to sort out - it's about user convenience and what Nokia need to do is design additional options into the Device Lock control panel applet and allow the user to decide how the device behaves, as we all definately do not live in the "one size fits all" world that Nokians seem to inhabit . I'd even like the user to be able to choose how the "Lock" mode is activated - ie. a front panel button instead of power menu - but that's probably going waaaay too far.

Personally, Soft Poweroff is exactly what I need, and if the N800 had a cover (and, in my opinion, it desperately needs one), I'd set it to do just that if I put the cover on. And I think that's basically what the 770 does if you enable the "Keep Wireless on when cover is on" option.
Yep, a case is essential and should even be a standard in-box accessory - where's the bl**dy case you, promised Nokia?

As you've probably guessed by now, I disable the 770s "Keep Wireless on when cover is on" option.

EDIT: RFE added.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-02-13 at 00:33.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
There is a line in systemui.xml ending with "flight". Is that something to do with Flight mode?

in
3. Install Midnight Commander from repository
What repository do I need to add to see this in the Installable Applications?

Originally Posted by DryLand404 View Post
in
3. Install Midnight Commander from repository
What repository do I need to add to see this in the Installable Applications?
Sorry, my mistake.

You can install Midnight Commander from here (with your Nokia):

http://www.komputika.net/maemo/

Find the file "mc_4.6.1-2_armel.deb".